WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2008, 03:18 AM
Enthusiast
Singapore

Re: I'm Building a painting storage rack

In the above post #15, I mentioned Ikea has storage systems that may be suitable with modification. These are standard systems made of pine wood.

As I now see the need, I did go ahead to buy and modify. The modification is not too complex. Below you can see my nearly finished stetched canvas painting rack, and a close up of a bottom corner of this rack.

At Ikea I bought two shelfing items each with long screws, and four verticals. They are altogether quite cheap. These shelves come with cross bars suitable as spacers for our paintings. The verticals have pre-drilled holes at a certain distance apart.

I can highlight two details shown in the close up picture below.

At the shelf cross bars on top and below, I drill small holes and thread a fishing line up and down the rack. The tightened line keeps the paintings vertical and stops them leaning against each other. This is important when the oil paintings are not completely dried.

The white triangle piece is a plastic spacing piece I added at a sufficient number of corners. Ikea sells metal cross braces to keep the shelfing system stiff and vertical. I cannot use these cross braces as my paintings have to go through the rack. Instead I added these triangle pieces to keep the corners stiff.

With this storage system, I can select different heights according to the pre-drilled holes on the verticals. This rack shown below has an inner height of 33 in. The painting shown is of size 24 x 30 in.

Last edited by Merlion : 04-19-2008 at 04:03 AM.
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2008, 07:12 AM
Enthusiast
Singapore

For those interested, the Ikea items are GORM Post H110 and Bottle rack. The price can't be cheaper, altogether just S$26 (US$19).

This picture below is the completed rack with my paintings, two of them framed and a few not completely dried. This rack can hold 8 paintings.

Last edited by Merlion : 04-19-2008 at 07:36 AM.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2008, 10:23 PM
Enthusiast
Singapore

I know there are Ikea stores in the US, and I think orders can be placed with them online. Here is their link. IKEA

I took this picture below while making my second rack. It shows more clearly how it is built up.

This rack should have an inner height of 38.5 in which is maximum for these 'posts'. But Ikea sells taller posts.

Between the green fishing line holer and my portable drill/screwdriver are long screws supplied with the 'bottle racks', to screw into pre-drilled holes at the corners there.

Last edited by Merlion : 04-19-2008 at 10:28 PM.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2008, 07:34 AM
Enthusiast
Singapore

Huh, so far nobody has shown any interest in my racks for drying and storing oil paintings. As I've mentioned, this cannot be cheaper, for me only US$19 for each rack, if you can get the items from Ikea.

Anyway, I can now show below both racks, one is 33 in. and the other 38.5 in. internal height. As my usual stretched canvas size is 27.5 x 35.5 in, and sometimes 30 x 36 in, they can now be placed upright instead of sideway. This position is much better.

Ikea also sells taller corner posts, 175 instead of 110 cm. This means I can make the rack into two layers, or I can keep it one layer to dry and store bigger paintings.

Last edited by Merlion : 04-21-2008 at 07:36 AM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2008, 04:52 AM
Enthusiast
Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlion
Huh, so far nobody has shown any interest in my racks for drying and storing oil paintings. As I've mentioned, this cannot be cheaper, for me only US$19 for each rack, if you can get the items from Ikea. ...

Ikea also sells taller corner posts, 175 instead of 110 cm. ...
For the records, I'll continue to post.

To save space, I've placed and screwed these two racks on top of each other.

I've also got the taller corner posts to build a taller rack. My latest WIP painting is 48 in tall. This is too tall for my shorter racks. These three racks are shown below, with my WIP painting.

By the way, the shelves behind are also from Ikea, for my smaller sculptures. I am also a sculptor.

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-05-2008, 04:34 PM
A Local Legend
I currently live in Jacksonville Florida

Hails from United States

Thats a great adaptation, unfortunately theres no ikea's near me, I believe Bed,Bath and Beyond has a similar rack system
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2008, 03:46 AM
Enthusiast
Singapore

Thanks Dreamz.

I understand from the website of Ikea USA that shoppers can order online. The link is here below.
Shop online with IKEA Direct

See my post #17 for the names of the shelve series and items I used.

Last edited by Merlion : 05-09-2008 at 03:50 AM.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2008, 03:58 PM

THANK YOU, THANK YOU
I have tried every idea that I could come up with and by far yours in the best and cheapest. I made my trip to Ikea today and the cost of 3 with 2 being the large post was $75. I then went to Academy for fishing line and Lowes for the brace. I used wood for the brace not knowing where you got the plastic. Now to the studio to build.
spottothttp:
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-16-2008, 03:58 PM

THANK YOU, THANK YOU
I have tried every idea that I could come up with and by far yours in the best and cheapest. I made my trip to Ikea today and the cost of 3 with 2 being the large post was $75. I then went to Academy for fishing line and Lowes for the brace. I used wood for the brace not knowing where you got the plastic. Now to the studio to build.
spottot
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-17-2008, 05:33 PM

Sorry about the double post. Newbie mistake. I finished my 3 racks and loved the outcome. I used 80lb fishing line for the stringing and I feel it will be strong enough. Had a little trouble with the braces but practice makes perfect. I can't tell you enough how great your racks are. I was working with a slotted design either out of PVC pipe or 2x2 wood. All were too expensive and too much work. It is amazing that there are not any rack designs on the web.

Thanks again for your great design.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Enthusiast
Singapore

You are welcome Spottot. Do show us picture of your racks. And close up picture of your bracket.

By the way, how do you do the final tightening of the fishing lines?
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2008, 05:10 PM

I'm in Taos NM for the summer. I want be able to show you the racks unless I go home sooner. I took the 80 lb test line, weaved it though the drilled holes, tied it to the last set of holes. Then with gloves on I worked the line from the back to the start pulling until it was tight. My braces were 3/4 x 3" that I had laying around. I will show pictures the next time I'm home. I may build one out here. Will order from Ikea and if so will show pics.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2008, 10:29 AM
A Local Legend
Gloucestershire

Hails from United Kingdom

I'll bookmark this thread for when I am ready to make this. Seems brilliant, thanks!
I imagine I don't have to drill for the thread, do I? I can just wind it around the 'spacers', right?

Last edited by soap : 05-23-2008 at 10:33 AM.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2008, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
East Coast, Maryland

Very cool. How kind of you to share photos and info. Will be sharing this info with my handy hubby.
Thanks,
Doris
www.dorisglovier.blogspot.com
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2008, 10:49 AM
A Local Legend
Gloucestershire

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcglovier
Will be sharing this info with my handy hubby.
Thanks,
Doris

LOL...that's just what I did.... ..unfortunately its a busy hubby too