WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Glass Art > Let's Talk > Glass Class 101
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Lord of the Arts
Charleston SC

Hails from United States
Petal Bead Tutorial ... by Deronda

This is Deonda's tutorial that really helped me finally do a decent petal bead... She said I could post it here....

First what a petal bead looks like....

Make a base bead of your color choice. I went a little bigger for the base, so Iíd have room for the dots. Very little of it ever shows, but I used amber (black is good too). I am a lefty, so I hold my mandrel in my right hand and add dots with my left. Either way, make your first opaque dots (I do five) high on the shoulder of the bead (fairly close to the hole) that is the farthest away from the hand holding the stringer. Melt in partially and cover with transparent-it doesnít have to be clear. Melt in completely by heating one side and then the other instead of the middle (this helps the dots begin its stretch). Add another opaque dot so that it is toward the side of the first dot, melt in partially, cover with transparent, but when you are melting it in, keep your flame towards the side of the bead so once again the dot stretches towards the opposite end. Glass follows the heat, so your dots will want to stretch toward the end if you heat only one side. The whole bead will stay warm unless you are making a huge bead, but it doesnít hurt to flash it in the flame now and then. Twirl both ways, so the dots donít start twisting. Continue adding dots, making each one smaller. As you get closer to the final dots, your flame should be aiming closer and closer to the hole (your mandrel will be almost aimed at your chest). If those final dots donít quite make it far enough for you, add another drop of transparent and really heat the hole area. You donít have to encase it if you donít want to.

Here are some rough sketches.

Hope you guys enjoy giving this one a try.... I sure did

My Blog
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2007, 08:44 PM
A WC! Legend
Bucks County, PA

Hails from United States
Re: Petal Bead Tutorial ... by Deronda

wonderful, thank you Elaine!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2007, 10:02 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Central Coast, NSW

Hails from Australia
Talking Re: Petal Bead Tutorial ... by Deronda

This is so cool Thanks Elaine & Deronda!