WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2007, 04:39 PM
A Local Legend
Severn, MD

Hails from United States
Question Cleaning Cigarette Smoke from a Painting

Hello to all, and I hope someone can answer this question for me, and thank you in advance for any advice.

A friend of my Mom's recently rescued an oil painting she did over 30 years ago when her BIL passed, and it is very dinged with cigarette smoke. She said not sure if the painting was varnished(can't remember) after drying over the paint. Not being able to afford to take to a professional, she asked if anyone had any sugestions for removing the nicotine staining without damaging the painting. Any ideas greatly appreciated.
Tressa
"We derive more benefit from having our faults pointed out by our enemies than from hearing the opinions of friends." (Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519)
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2007, 04:48 PM
A Local Legend
Georgia

Hails from United States
Re: Cleaning Cigarette Smoke from a Painting

Well hopefully it *is* varnished. If it was, since it is over 30 years old, it's probably safe to assume that it was varnished with something like dammar, which you can only remove with something as strong as turpentine (oms will not do).

She might try to clean a small patch first with oms (this is less likely to damage the paint film if it was not varnished) using cotton balls or q-tips, making sure to stop if she sees any of the color coming off. Or she might try first with a very diluted soap and water mix (hey, you never know, often the simple solutions work best!), working on up to stronger solvents. If she works very carefully, she should be able to try various methods without damaging the surface of the painting. Restorers work in *very* small parts of the painting at a time to ensure that no damage is being done and it is a very time-consuming process.

If she does have any luck with this, let us know.

~!Carey

"...I wished to live deliberately...and not, when I came to die, discover that I have not lived." ---Henry David Thoreau
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2007, 05:07 PM
St. Louis, Mo - USA

Hails from United States

I'm glad you asked about this. I've got the same problem (painted it around 40 yrs ago - don't remember if I varnished it). It's got a yucky brownish-yellow coating from all the smoke. I got some Winsor-Newton picture cleaner and tried it on a small area close to the edge. It worked fine, but I've been afraid to "put it to the test" on areas where there's some texture in the paint and it might need a bit more wiping - might lift color with the crud if it's not varnished. Hopefully there's someone here with some experience in this, I would think it's a fairly common problem.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2007, 07:30 PM
Enthusiast
Oregon

Hails from United States

As an ex-smoker/ex-submariner, I can vouch for the efficacy of soap and water for removing nicotine from surfaces. Just be gentle, and willing to do it over unti it is clean. Keep in mind it is a painting, not a bulkhead.

TTFN,
Dennis

And rinse it with clean water to get the soap film off.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2007, 09:39 PM
A Local Legend
Georgia

Hails from United States

Another note...it really is surprising how little people believe soap can do. I don't know why. I guess that all that marketing for "superior" products must be doing some good. For instance, regular soap will get out oil paint from clothes (so long as it's not *too* dry or set with heat--ie, in the washer or dryer) and it will also work just fine to get out many other "stains".

In clothes it needs a little elbow grease. I suggest a soft touch with an oil painting, though. And above all, patience.

~!Carey

"...I wished to live deliberately...and not, when I came to die, discover that I have not lived." ---Henry David Thoreau
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-31-2007, 10:20 PM
S.L.C. Utah

Hails from United States

Hi,
I would like to suggest, Winson & Newton Artists' Picture cleaner!.
The picture I am posting is an old painting, that I tried this on.
Attached Images

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2007, 07:37 AM
A Local Legend
Severn, MD

Hails from United States

Thank you all for your responses, and I will pass on this info today. My first thought was mild soap and water, but I didn't want to steer her in the wrong direction. I will also tell her of the WN cleaner.
Will let you know how it turns out!
Tres
"We derive more benefit from having our faults pointed out by our enemies than from hearing the opinions of friends." (Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519)
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2007, 07:45 AM
Enthusiast
south dakota

Hails from United States

Tressa, I had inherited several oil paintings by my grandmother that were not barnished. I took dawn dish soap and cotton cloth, wah lah clean.
I had heard someone using white bread but that sounded out there, so I went with the soap. I tried a corner with the windsor cleaner and it took off the paint. So good luck! Andi
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2007, 02:17 PM
Enthusiast
New York

Hails from United States

I was a very heavy smoker and did wash my paintings every once in awhile. I used a regular sponge and a mild dishwashing liquid.....like the geen palmolive.

The ones I did clean like that were all on panel......so.....I could use a fair amount of pressure. None were vanished. They all cleaned up nicely.

If it's a stretched canvas I would just be careful not to push too hard on the canvas as you clean it. If possible, put something under it so you don't accidently put too much pressure on the cloth while cleaning.

I don't think a store bought picture cleaner is going to do a better job than mild soap and water. Along with the smoke there is probably a layer or two of bacon grease.

I used to have some of my paintings on a shelf in the kitchen....the shelves that are meant to hold dishes. Great place to put paintings when you want them to dry away from little fingers.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Enthusiast
Great Britain

Hails from United Kingdom

Winsor and Newton Picture Cleaner is reliable and it works.