WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2007, 05:25 AM
Victoria, Australia

Hails from Australia
"October mixed media forum challenge, 10/01/07 -

Hi Folks, Well here it is: Your October Challege is ........ wait for it..........Papercasting!
Surprised? LOL. I have made up an instruction and supplies list that I am hoping Cyndi will post as I have no idea how!
You have the whole month of October to finish it but we are pretty easy here and time is not going to be strict.

In making your papercasting please feel free to include your normal mediums as well ,paint, silk,Digital imagery,collage,sculpture or whatever. But part of the challenge is this DO SOMETHING OUTSIDE YOUR NORMAL COMFORT ZONE!

That means if you normally paint abstract you should try something different and if you do realist work try an abstract etc etc. Of course if you do a bit of everything , then you should find some new way of expessing your art.
Make it fun and show us often, it doesn't have to be the final artwork , it can be a WIP so we can all pitch in with ideas if you need them. Or just show us how your casts turn out. Ask me if you need any technical help and I will do my best to assist. I have included several websites to show you what can be done with papercasting and also further in depth instructions past those I have made for you.
Have fun and post often!
here is an image of the casts I made yesterday for the instructions, 140lb.Watercolor paper dampended with water only,they were still wet at this stage, will post the finished art I use them in later.

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2007, 09:14 AM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States
Re: "October mixed media forum challenge, 10/01/07 -

Sue and I have had some backing and forthing that hasn't been helped by the time difference! Sorry that we're a day late getting this to you all...my fault!

Here's the instructions and website links that Sue sent me:

Papercasting, by Sue in OZ
I am not including instructions for wet pulp papercasting as this is somewhat time consuming and requires more tools, time etc. Check the websites below for more instructions on pulp papercasting.

List of items:

Papers can include
Handmade and plant papers
Blotter
Cotton Linter, watercolor paper
Newspapers ( these tear easily when wet but add text and interest.
Tissue ( needs to have several layers and add starch only on top layer or it will stick to the mold.
any and all types of paper that can be dampened and dried over a mold.(shiny magazine and photo paper does not work well).
Starch ( powdered -mixed to a thin paste or liquid laundry starch.)
Stencil or stiff hog hair brush
Baking spray (optional)
Baby powder ( optional)
Molds
Rubber stamps, cookie molds, buttons,old metal brooches or pins,small wheels or shapes, wood carvings,coins,badges, architectural details,tools,metal gratings,leaves, ferns, orange and onion bags,bark,anything that has low relief patterning and will release the paper when it dries.( make sure the mold has no undercuts that will hold the paper and make it tear on release.)

How to:

1: Dust deeper molds with baby powder and shake off or Spray the mold with the baking spray to assist in release ( optional).

2: Dampen a sheet of paper and brush over with a thin wash of starch ( mix powdered starch to a creamy paste). ( if you make paper pulp add a teaspoon of starch to the pulp mix.( 1 cup pulp + 1 teaspoon starch).

3: Press paper carefully onto the mold and use a stiff brush to gently encourage the paper to fit to the undulations and shapes in the form.Thin paper tears easily and blotter thickness hides detail on outside but will show good detail in the reverse ( concave).

4: Let dry in the sun or under a fan/hairdryer if you are in a hurry.

5: Lift off the mold and allow to fully dry before attaching to artwork. Some papers stick a little and need to be encouraged to release by using a thin knife blade to lever the paper off the mold. If the casting is a bit out of shape when you release it just encourage it back by dampening just a tiny bit and press it into shape before you glue it onto your work.tear off excess paper from edges,if it doesn’t work first time just begin again.Make it FUN!

Hints:

Wood and plaster molds release well, plastic and metal can have fine detail but take longer to dry.

Dampen two sheets of paper and place an onion , orange bag or metal /wire grating between them and place a heavy book on top and allow to dry = two textured sheets for one.

Printed tissues or toilet paper added to top layer can add detail and color.
If you want your papercast to be convex not concave you need first to make a mold of the mold and then cast into the concave mold.Plaster or Sculpy make good concave molds.

Lay several or many small items in a tray and place dampened paper over all, when molded tear into smaller pieces for collaging.

Websites with some papercasting fun:

Kevin Dyer papercastings

Paper Arts papercasting

Tear it up Papermaking

artrageous

Fanciful

Native online

Bella online

Michelle Ward

Hero Arts

Diva Design Studio ( this is an inspiring site for papercasting)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2007, 09:15 AM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States

Sue is going to post some more pictures of work that she did, as soon as she gets my message that I was unable to do it!! Oh the glories of 18 hours time difference!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2007, 11:07 AM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Sue and Cyndi this is a fantastic challenge and thank you for the whole month. It will be super fun!!! BTW I get a "page not found2 clicking on the links.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2007, 04:47 PM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States

On all of them Mary? They're working fine for me...
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2007, 05:58 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

They are ok now Cyndi, I think it was when the site went down or my Internet got disconnected. Nice links!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2007, 06:59 PM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States

I may have to join in on this one. I used to make a lot of paper and do sculpted bowls, body castings, etc. Haven't done any the last few years but it'll be fun to get messy (ier) again.

Li

She never seemed shattered; to me, she was a breathtaking mosaic of the battles she had won. - Matt Baker
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2007, 12:22 AM
Victoria, Australia

Hails from Australia

Sorry for the delay in getting back here. My computer has slowed down to the point of pain !! I am on dial up and will never have broadband as they tell us that not enough people live in the area.(6 families on a 50 mile stretch of road).SO I haven't had Cyndi's email as yet but as the images are not attached to the instruction/supplies sheet I am assuming something went awry.
I will attach some of them here but not all ten as it would take hours.I took step by step photos as I made some castings for those who have never done it before.
Well that didn't work! I keep getting a message saying "Wetcanvas is out of room for images please try again later." My luck!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2007, 12:52 AM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States

Soo- the uploader and manage attachments has been out all day. Now apparently, the emails again too. "They" are working on it.

Thanks for the ideas though.

She never seemed shattered; to me, she was a breathtaking mosaic of the battles she had won. - Matt Baker
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2007, 01:06 AM
Victoria, Australia

Hails from Australia

Mary and Cyndi,
This is the message I am getting when I try and upload images, any ideas what to do?

Warning
: mkdir(/var/www/wetcanvas.com/htdocs/Community/images/03-Oct-2007) [function.mkdir]: No space left on device in /var/www/wetcanvas.com/htdocs/Community/Uploader/upload_image_save2.php on line 57
Sorry, your file didn't come through. Please try again.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2007, 01:13 AM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States

Soo- look above. It's a site wide problem. Karyn is working on it.

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2007, 01:18 AM
Victoria, Australia

Hails from Australia

Ah I thought it was at my end, thank goodness it isn't.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2007, 01:30 AM
A WC! Legend
So. California

Hails from United Nations

Hmmm, all I've ever used for this is cheap toilet paper (do you know how hard it is to find liquid starch these days???), but this looks fun! Cyndi, thank you soooooooo much for all those links -- I had no idea!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2007, 04:25 AM
Immortalized
The beautiful Caboolture Shire

Hails from Australia

kay I am going to give this a go!!!!!!
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2007, 07:57 AM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Still problems with the uploader and email system but they are working on it.

I was looking through this link and found something about paper pulp and banana fiber. Does anyone know what they mean by banana fiber? I have used something they call down here Mixion de platano to glue gold leaf with but I wouldn't think they are talking about that.

http://www.divadesignstudio.com/ The work here looks like a challenge but fun.

Diana, if you get the powdered starch you could make liquid starch, couldn't you?