WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Fiber Arts
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2007, 03:21 PM
Enthusiast
Florida

Hails from United States
Alphabet Quilts

Years ago I had this grand plan to design and produce a series of wall quilts featuring alphabets of different languages. I actually completed four of them, very experimental models, before I took a full-time job in book publishing that brought the big quilting project to a screeching halt. Cindy Haase and this new forum have brought back wonderful memories of the fun I had creating those quilts, and because WC is a truly international site, I thought it might be fun to share two of them.

Both quilts are hand pieced, appliquéd, and quilted. The first one is a simple English alphabet quilt based on the Century Schoolbook typeface, 45” square, with dark blue letters. The photo isn’t very good, but at least you can see the pattern fairly well. The second one shows the Russian alphabet, which I love for its interesting characters. This quilt is about 24” square, and I think it could qualify as a miniature; the little white pieces that separate the blocks are only ½” square. The corner blocks in each quilt were inspired by traditional patterns.

C&C always welcome!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2007, 03:41 PM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States
Re: Alphabet Quilts

Goodness, that was a grand plan indeed. These are so beautifully planned and sewn. I can only imagine the patience it took to use those tiny bits so precisely! Thanks so much for sharing them Cindy!

Any plans to do more?

Li

She never seemed shattered; to me, she was a breathtaking mosaic of the battles she had won. - Matt Baker
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2007, 04:08 PM
Lord of the Arts
The Land of the Moonrakers

Hails from United Kingdom

Really beautiful.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Enthusiast
UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Really lovely work! I always wanted to try quilting but other commitments always seemed to get in the way. Perhaps I could try my hand at a miniature quilt one day....just another 'must do' to add to my long list, lol.

Gail
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2007, 06:31 PM
Enthusiast
Florida

Hails from United States

Li, thank you! There is one more wall quilt I would like to do if I can ever find the time. It would be a much more elaborate version of the Century Schoolbook quilt that would have a tulip garden pattern filling the entire border area. When I stopped making quilts, I had the design for it pretty much ready to go.

Sonia, thank you, too. I checked your website and was very impressed with your lovely watercolors. "Sunset over the Ridgeway" and "Anemones and Primroses" appealed to me especially.

Gail, thanks for taking a look and for the nice comment! Oh, I hear you on "other commitments." Colored pencil has temporarily taken over my life, but I think I need to make room for other things. BTW, you do really nice graphite and cp work.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Lord of the Arts
Littleton, CO

Hails from United States

Yeah you posted them. I particularly love the Russian Alphabet one...I don't often get to see foreign characters in quite this manner, being a girl in the mountains in the USA.

I am so glad I helped inspire you. I have been so lucky to be inspired by many quilters in the past, one my great-grandmother who I never met. But
I know her by the quilt she made that is in my bedroom. I feel a great connection to her through that quilt. I also taught my granddaughter how to quilt. She is now 13, and of course, her social life (read "boys") takes priority,
but she will come back to it when she's older. So it's been carried on through
6 generations.

Make sure these go to someone in your family who will honor them for the treasures that they are.

Cindy's Blog
Life beats down and crushes the soul, but art reminds you that you have one. Stella Adler
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2007, 06:52 PM
A WC! Legend
So. California

Hails from United Nations

Cindy, thanks so much for posting these -- it's wonderful to see these in such an accessible size; I'd love to see what you could do with the Arabic alphabet (said by someone who took two years of it in college just because she thought it looked cool... )

Six generations, Cindy (how many Cindys do we have in this forum, anyway?) -- wow, there's a record to be proud of! Do you have examples of each generation's work?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2007, 06:55 PM
WC! Guide
Nowheresville, Idunno

Hails from United States

You said you completed 4. Where are the other 2?
Beautiful work.

Debby
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2007, 07:48 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

I have been meaning to come over here and see the work but didn't get a chance until today.

Cindy, this is marvelous work but I am not surprised to see the quality of it from you because I think everything you do is just excellent. I do hope you will get the wall quilt started and take it as you can as I know it will be a masterpiece.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Enthusiast
Florida

Hails from United States

CindyH, thank you for the big boost! I wish I could say that my 12-year-old granddaughter has an interest in quilting, but at this point her priorities are theatre and yes, her "social life."

Diana, thanks for looking! I would love to do one with the Arabic alphabet--all of those wonderful curvy letterforms!

Debby, thank you for the nice comment! As for the other two quilts, I never got a photo of the first one, and the photo of the second one is so dark you can't tell the colors apart. I'm a lot more careful these days about documenting my art pieces.

Mary, you are always so supportive of my work, and I really appreciate your comments. I think I may try to start up that one more project and work on it a little at a time, as a break from the cp work. It might even make a decent WIP.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Lehigh Valley, PA

Hails from United States

beautiful!

http://www.xanga.com/neuwifeblogs
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2007, 02:19 AM
Lord of the Arts
Portland, Oregon

Hails from United States

What everyone else said....... Fantastic!

Art is not what you see,
but what you make others see.
-Edgar Degas
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2007, 08:14 AM

Both are such beautiful, Cindy!!
I am deeply impressed by quilts, it is so muchwork - and such a patience is needed.
I fell in love with the russian alphabete, I love earth colors and agree that the cyrillic letters are very interesting.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Enthusiast
Florida

Hails from United States

Stephanie, Sher, and Martina, thank you for the lovely comments!

This morning the light was good where the Russian quilt is hanging, so Tom got a nice closeup of one of the corner blocks. I can't seem to get it to upload right now, but I'll try again later. Since WC was down for a while, there may be technical difficulties with uploading images.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2007, 04:23 PM
A Local Legend
South Carolina

Hails from United States

Cindy those quilts are beautiful!
Col. 3:23