WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2007, 09:10 AM
Greece

Hails from United States
Is Masonite the same as MDF?

Hello everyone,

I hope I'm in the right place for this question. In Greece many artists (including me) use MDF panels for support. Is it the same as Masonite panels?

Thanks for your time and knowledge.

riverwolf
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2007, 09:41 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Masonite is a proprietary term for hardboard made by the company of the same name. In the US, Canada and a few other places the term became generic, so people would refer to masonite, meaning any hardboard. A simple search would have provided you with this answer BTW

Hardboard is a high-density board made from compressed wood fibre, bonded together essentially with heat and pressure only. It is usually 3mm or 6mm thick only and smooth on one side or both sides.

MDF is a medium-density board made from compressed wood fibre, bonded together with a resin and smooth on both sides. It is often available in a range of thicknesses from maybe 3 or 4mm at the lower end up to in excess of 30mm; 12mm seems to be the most common thickness in many places.

Although lighter in weight for a given thickness MDF is generally speaking stiffer and less prone to warping than hardboard, but these products vary widely.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-23-2007, 12:21 PM
Greece

Hails from United States
Re: Is Masonite the same as MDF?

Einion,

Thank you very much! I have tried to find an answer to this question in the past but alas... ... I think I'm the worse googler on the planet.

Your answer clarified everything. I appreciate the time you took to answer me. It's nice to know that MDF is less prone to warping. In Greece, when I asked a wood place (don't know what they're called in english) for Masonite, they gave me MDF. Apparently they thought it was the same thing... and then so did I.

(about the language confusion.... I'm born and raised in the Midwest but have lived the past 20 years here in Greece. As odd as it may sound, there comes a time when words in both languages get muddled and you forget. It can cause some interesting problems though!)

Have a great day!

River