WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2007, 10:06 PM
Enthusiast
Asheville, NC

Hails from United States
View from Craggy Pinnacle-Accepted!

I did this as a donation for an auction where I hope to pick up some business but has a picky committee that I was worried about, plus it has been a while since I did a landscape, but I found out today that it was accepted. Now it will be interesting to see how much it will bring. As always, I'm open to C&C because I'm not so sure this was my best work. Thank you for your time.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2007, 10:07 PM
Enthusiast

Re: View from Craggy Pinnacle-Accepted!

this looks really nice. the sky is expansive, and the hills just keep going farther into the distance. very well done, congrats.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2007, 10:16 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Nancy, I love your sky! The distances read well and the very back hill edge is nicely softened. My only crit is a small one regarding the hills. The pointy hill comes up very close to the middle of the canvas with a rather hard edge. I'd like to see it a little softer and moved to one side or the other (preferably the left). Also, the front two hills are very similar in shape and value. Congratulations on the acceptance, and I hope it does very well at auction. Keep us posted!

Jamie

One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2007, 10:49 PM
A Local Legend
NE Oklahoma

Hails from United States

This is a lovely landscape with nicely done aerial perspective. I've seen many vistas that look like this. I enjoyed viewing this painting and hope it does very well at auction.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-14-2007, 11:04 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Beautiful. Jan
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2007, 12:58 AM
A Local Legend
Northern California mountains

Hails from United States

The clouds are wonderful, and it has lots of depth. Very pretty.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2007, 04:09 AM
A Local Legend

Picky or not Nancy they showed good sense choosing your painting! It looks wonderful and should garner a good price

If your painting makes YOU happy,it's enough 🎨
If another person likes it enough to want to own it...that is a bonus.🙃
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2007, 06:39 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Lower Hutt, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Congrats. and good luck at the auction of this very lovely painting.
What size is it?
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Enthusiast
Asheville, NC

Hails from United States

Thank you all VERY much for your responses. Sorry I forgot to mention the size - 28 x 22. I wanted to do it bigger so that you could get a better feel of the immensity of the view but they wanted me to keep it small-ish. Jamie, the middle mountain bothered me a lot too and I should have tried to soften it a bit more but I couldn't move it as the attendees of this auction are locals and will know this location very well. However, now that you've mentioned it, I could have changed my perspective somewhat to eliminate that problem. Hmmm, I'll have to go back up there and look at this spot again! What a shame, a day spent in the mountains - poor me(heh, heh)
Thank you all again for taking the time to comment.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2007, 10:40 AM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDee
Thank you all VERY much for your responses. Sorry I forgot to mention the size - 28 x 22. I wanted to do it bigger so that you could get a better feel of the immensity of the view but they wanted me to keep it small-ish. Jamie, the middle mountain bothered me a lot too and I should have tried to soften it a bit more but I couldn't move it as the attendees of this auction are locals and will know this location very well. However, now that you've mentioned it, I could have changed my perspective somewhat to eliminate that problem. Hmmm, I'll have to go back up there and look at this spot again! What a shame, a day spent in the mountains - poor me(heh, heh)
Thank you all again for taking the time to comment.

Nancy, I know what you mean about moving elements in familiar locations. However, I can assure you from experience that shifting things slightly to benefit a composition isn't something people will pick up on. They will recognize the peak, but not it's exact central location. As you said, those elements move depending on exactly where you stand. I compress/move elements in landscapes all the time to work best for the proportions of my canvas. Just pull out your Artistic License if anybody says anything. Remembering that people buy paintings for our own, unique artistic vision is what helped me to understand that it is not only okay to do that, but necessary! Keeping the recognizable elements in the painting as they appear, but moving them slightly or adjusting proportions to make more impact is a good thing. That's one of the ways in which painters have it over photographers!

There are lots of views I've struggled with many times in that regard, to try to come away with a painting that worked artistically, as well as representing the surroundings. That wide view of the Hudson River that I just posted in a thread here is one of them. I can't even count how many times I've painted that scene in different ways, but it took a couple of years before I understood what I needed to change in the scene to make it work on canvas. (Shhh....don't tell! )

Jamie

One year from now, you'll wish you had started today.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2007, 10:59 AM
A WC! Legend
South of Boston, MA

Hails from United States

Congratulations. Well done and lovely transition from range to range. Great colors. I agree with Jamie, because the centered gray hill stood out, but I doubt anyone will care. Some rules can be broken, even this one, and since it is so lovely, I think you have license to break the rules.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2007, 12:17 PM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

It's a beautiful painting. Great sky and feeling of distance.

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2007, 07:53 PM
Enthusiast
Asheville, NC

Hails from United States

Thank you Jamie and Paula! I think I grew new dendrites(new brain bits) for that bit of artistic license. It was an ah-ha moment for me. I've certainly noticed it in other ways and subjects but didn't think it could apply to something so familiar or easily gotten to and viewed by persons who may own this piece. I felt rather un-loose as I did this anyway because of the type of crowd that will be viewing it. I think I'll try to trust my instincts next time I try a local subject. Thank you for that very much!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-15-2007, 08:01 PM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Beautiful painting! Congrats on getting accepted!

Paul
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2007, 08:25 PM
Enthusiast
Asheville, NC

Hails from United States

Thank you Paul!