WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Animal and Wildlife Subjects
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2007, 08:12 PM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States
Use to denote nudity/mature subject matter Bato Dgarzhapov Inspired...but not well imitated...

Thanks to Bill Wray's link to Bato's work in the landscape forum...
http://www.artrussia.ru/artists/work...0&foa=f&page=1

and my spending some good time on it...

I really want to experiment a bit on some instudio stuff...stretching myself a bit on brushwork, color...more expressive light. Not that this will ultimately define myself as an artist....I suppose my endless experiments may though define me as an individual.

The teacher in me just senses that obligation and opportunity life gives.

I took a simple subject...my wife and I having visited a falls and river recently in NE Wisconsin we enjoyed...I envisioned quite a few bears and possible paintings.

As some know, my past is high end detailed wildlife art, which was a mainstay career at one time. Plein air really changed much of that for me...but, I play with wildlife still to attempt to challenge me to try and translate what I'm learning thru painterly renovations.

I wanted something simple...Bato-like...though a far cry. Here is a black bear on the Pine River...painted in a higher light key like many of Bato's work...

Its an effort...I'm not saying it has wholly succeeded to do justice to Bato's work, but I think the effort has some merit in its own right.

peace

Last edited by LarrySeiler : 09-12-2007 at 11:14 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2007, 11:34 PM
Veteran Member
Montana

Hails from United States
Re: Bato Dgarzhapov Inspired...but not well imitated...

I do like it. The bear seems to know we're watching him, I can tell that from the tilt of his ear. We saw one in the woods the other day, it's always a thrill.

I'm always experimenting. I would have such a hard time with this as I'd be trying to put in more value range. Your bear's great.
Donna
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2007, 02:21 AM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States

I love the viewpoint, and the lush paint, agree, would like more value range, but it could be just the translation to my monitor...
Colleen
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2007, 04:24 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Tasmania, Australia

Hails from Australia

I really like this the way it is Larry. It's subtle and I find it soothing. I can see where it could have a greater range of values, but for me it would take away from the softness of the piece. But that's just my two cents....
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2007, 08:30 AM
WC! Guide
TN

Hails from United States

Oh I love it Larry!!!! Beautiful work as always!
Jody
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2007, 08:42 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

the lack of value range is intended. That's why it is an experiment...I hope folks will take some time checking out Bato's work...especially several pages in. You'll note many subjects that don't demonstrate the value you know they have...yet the paintings deliver a sense of the presence of light...a bare bones minimum yet nailed essentiality.

As I said, not pushing to experiment with intentions this will be my direction or that which will define me...

I've done my share of painterly bears where values and correctness was an aim...

my share of more detailed rendered designs such as this-

Here are some of Bato's work...to make it easier, and perhaps you'll get some ideas what I'm experimenting with...

squint your eyes, and study the light of this suggestive scene. There is a quality of the light missing in a lot of nicely rendered value emphasized art work, and I'm trying to absorb some of this. I have been a realist most my life.

another...

one more-

a nude figure on the beach...

yet...when Bato wants to tighten it up...yet even keeping it simple, look how he can make it pop and be dimensional-

He certainly understands something about the light, and pushing for the looseness and painterliness he has perhaps has helped him put a finger on it. Much of this understanding has been lost to modern artists, IMO...

My work of the past 12 years is looser and more painterly than the realism of my past, and I've come to conclude there is a difference between realism and REAL'ness. The later possessing something that feels more alive...

I'm just trying to understand it more...

take care....thanks for all the comments...

Last edited by LarrySeiler : 09-13-2007 at 09:16 AM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2007, 08:52 AM

Hails from South Africa

Man Larry, you don't have to prove you're an artist. The bear says what it is feeling. You are irrelivant. You just put its feelings on canvas.
I'm messing with my mind as well.
I still have a long way to go but I think that I'm on the same trail as you. Maybe about 100 miles behind, but I'm picking up the clues as to where you've been and where you made camp.
I love your work pal.
Bob
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2007, 09:09 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

thanks Bob...much appreciated!!! Times of experimentation, where you venture outside the familiar and your comfort zone feel risky...and encouragement is always welcome. I don't care if you've been painting three years or thirty years, once outside the comfort zone...it feels like very thin ice.

take care

Larry
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2007, 10:23 AM
Kalamazoo, Michigan

Hails from United States

I like it, I like it a lot. Its a bear, after all. What's not to like? I'm also a fan of Bato's work. Its one of my influences as well. Though I'm trying to add more contrast, more chiaroscuro styling to my own work. Lovely sense of dappled light in a lot of his work as well and I love that sense of color against color, letting the viewer's own eye blend and interpret.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2007, 10:30 AM

Hails from South Africa

What does "chiaroscuro" mean. It's too intelligent for me. I'm just a guy in the street that's trying to paint pictures of animals.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2007, 11:19 AM
A Local Legend
TN Mountains, North Of Chattanooga

Hails from United States

Larry-

I'm going to be perfectly honest with you- I like your work better! The bear is great. The limited value range is perfect, it is so warm, as if bathed in early morning sunlight. And, there is just enough information there- Detailed enough that I know exactly what I am looking at, but free enough to allow me to fill in the details.

I Do find some of Bato's work appealing- I LOVE anyone with a mastry of light/shadow like that- He is painting the light, not the objects... At least that is how I see it- And I admire anyone who can make that jump...

Thanks for posting this!!

-Andrew
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2007, 12:04 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Thanks Clifford...
I did the tonalist rendering/chiroscuro thing for near 17 years...work that DID define me and was hard to shake for years. Once publishers, agents take interest in your work...they demand consistency of style so they can refer to your work for what the public or collectors have in mind, or have their dozen artists they stick with...each being unique for some pertinent thing.

I doubt that I'll be able to totally shake the tendency to do more with the work than Bato is able to leave alone. That sorta intrigues me, and requires some figuring out. Both of my own temperment and psyche asking of myself, "why?"...and of the work itself. I don't think this stuff is easy, though it looks so easy some may assess it as belittlling. Why do what Bato is doing when one's own work has a track record of success, and in many opinions strikes them as better.

I'm not trying to develop work that would define me as less than I could be, but I do sense something in what Bato has touched upon that will give my work the potential of even more life. I may appear to stray ridiculously for awhile, but my intentions are to then retreat back to my cave taking with me what I've learned, and THEN decide just what I want to do with it.

thanks...
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2007, 12:17 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by artinthebush
What does "chiaroscuro" mean. It's too intelligent for me. I'm just a guy in the street that's trying to paint pictures of animals.

Chiaroscuro is Italian...was used during the Renaissance period, and used shadows and tonal palettes to create a believable illusion of rendered form. There were various ways to go about it.

I mentioned my past...here is one from the past, 1984... a Snowy Owl with a Hungarian Partridge...

I painted this after studying, copying works of Rembrandt more exclusively in the late 70's...entering it into Wildlife art competition. It won...and defined the work I would then do for many years, breaking away and out little by little.

Note the color is darker, the emphasis is dimension using values, color takes a secondary or minimal place of importance.

This led into the Baroque period, which used the chiaroscuro with more dramatic stage lighting-like approach, which is what Rembrandt did say more than DaVinci...

Traditional ways of using chiaroscuro was to do an underpainting, then mix up a glaze of brown paint with medium...such as 1/4 Damar, 1/4 turps, 1/2 linseed oil and paint.

You'd pour the medium/glaze over the entire dried underpainting, then use a rag to carefully wipe out the form, rendering light and letting passages disappear into the darks as though emerging.

Rembrandt and the Baroque period upscaled this, by applying clear mediums over dried paint...then painting directly into the layer of wet medium. Not fully painting but bits here and there. Then let the layer dry completely, paint another layer of medium...and paint more into that wet layer. On and on..upwards to as many as 30 layers or more. This is why you can walk up to a Rembrandt and the darks appear as if you could push your hand right into the canvas surface and beyond without touching anything.

To me...there is less magic and mystery understanding it all, and it all requires labor. When I see a hyper realistic work of such rendering, knowing what I know...painting as I did, I tend to sum it up with a gesture of my shoulder shrugging and simply say, "There was a lot of work!"

Not saying its not art...but am suggesting the outcome doesn't surprise me. It can be controlled, is totally to be expected if one has the patience to put 300 hours or more into a painting.

What is a mystery to me still...even though I've put out 200-300 paintings per year for the past 12 years doing them myself...is painting a work start to finish in one sitting, and having such control over the brush, the pigment...such understanding of light and color...that you can nail it without that which is come to be expected from 300 hours.

Oh...you won't have the detail of a 300 hour work...and many define good art on detail, but detail is no guarantee the painting will appear to breathe. A difference between lifeless detail, and that which FEELS real. Realistic versus REAL'ness...

I'm trying to uncover and master what I can of that...but I submit, the work may have an unfinished look them them...even more gestural, but THEY are not easier. I think in actuality, the taskmaster of the serious hyper realistic works I did for near 17 years prepared me to take on this latest work of mine.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2007, 12:18 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

thanks Andrew...
it is affirming to hear the work yet appears to be working...though I'm attempting to stretch myself.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-13-2007, 12:28 PM

Hails from South Africa

What you are saying is to inteligent for me to understand. I f you are saying that by changing your style that you won't be able to sell your work, then I understand. However, you are an artist, not an economist. Tell us what is going on in your heart. What do you wish to tell us through your wonderful work.
You are at the top of your profession! You call the tunes! Tell us what you think, not what others think. You set the guidelines. You are the one that we follow.
You are the Leonardo of the Bears.