WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2007, 09:11 PM
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Hails from Canada
Studio Wall Color

Hi,
I am about to build a new studio for myself in the basement of my home.
With another baby on the way (number 3!, yikes!!) My oldest daughter, 5, tells me she is taking my current studio, up stairs, as her new bedroom. Seems I have no choice.
My question is what would make a nice wall color for my studio, any suggestions??? Any colors to stay away from???

Thanks
Trevor
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-29-2007, 11:07 PM
A Local Legend
I currently live in Jacksonville Florida

Hails from United States
Re: Studio Wall Color

it may seem strange but a very pale violet, almost an off white with a violet hue
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2007, 03:12 AM
Ganchophobe

Hails from United States

I have heard a soft greyish green also works, especially as a backdrop for flesh tones.

IlluminousArt.com _____________________ Illuminous Blogspot
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2007, 09:23 AM
Lord of the Arts

If yours is a typical basement, with little to no natural light (windows), then you need all the help you can get by way of reflective/light surfaces. So the natural (for me) would be to paint everything white - or at least an "off-white."

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2007, 09:39 AM
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada

Hails from Canada

I was thinking of a very light beige. not sure if it is a good idea.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-30-2007, 02:38 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
White or a light neutral grey would be the best general colours IMO. But what really works best might depend on the lighting you're planning on using; you can match wall colour to the lighting - a light blue to help compensate for the colour of incandescent light for example.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-12-2007, 03:18 PM
Enthusiast

I painted the room where I work completely white. I was just guessing, but I assumed the bright walls would help give a nice bright lighting situation, maybe even helping "magnify" some of the lighting. Since then I've hung up a large white curtain (to hide a big ugly shelf full of paints and supplies)...the white curtain seems to have improved the lighting somehow.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-02-2007, 07:01 PM
NY

Hails from United States

Soon, my studio will be a spare bedroom. I wanted very warm walls that also aided in vanishing when I painted at night with lights. I was thinking of a dark peach or even rust for my studio. Maybe even different colors for each wall for versitality in my still lifes. Anyone done this?

It's difficult for me do decide because I would like it to function, yet, I want it to be pretty and inviting at the same time.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2007, 04:43 PM
phila., pa, u.s.

Hails from United States

I might be biased, as I spend most days working in a video post studio, with medium gray walls. I'd go for light gray, my reasoning being that any additional color will disrupt your color sense/vision. Likewise, with white, there's a chance you're never going to mix a true dark black.
But-- what do i know? I work in a cave with a couple of dim downlights (video studio), but at least it's my cave!
And-- aesthetics and vibe might trump scientific color matching in your case.
Enjoy the new studio!

-jeff
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-03-2007, 10:28 PM
NY

Hails from United States

Yes, I've heard of using gray - that it is a good way to see your values correctly against the walls. It's just a personal thing, I need a warm color. It's probably all in my head.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2007, 02:48 AM
A WC! Legend
Ocala, Fl. USA

Hails from United States

I have a very pale sea foam green, which is a blue/grayish green. This helps to distribute even light and does not reflect any color onto my canvas.

I love bold dramatic color in other areas of my home, but i would not do that in the studio. It will reflect onto your work.

Finch, i think that the colors that you describe would be pretty and inviting. But you would probably end up changing it after a time.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-13-2007, 12:47 PM
Denver, CO

A lot does depend on your lighting, but I would at least paint the wall behind me either white or a light neutral gray, as this will be reflected a little bit on your canvas. The other walls will be affected by how much or little light is on them.

But white is not a very inspiring color to have in your peripheral vision or to display most paintings against. Maybe the other three walls are some other color; almost certainly something fairly grayed down.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-21-2007, 09:09 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
homestead in south dakota

Hails from United States

just as a thought--i did a commission for a local bank. when trying on some of my current works to test for sizes, they really liked one painting i did, and were considering just buying it instead. it looked great on my wall at home, and they all loved it--has some springy greens, rusts and some purple/blues. they had just painted new walls, a grey green color ( i really like it) and when putting that painting onto that wall, BLAH! it looked horrible! the greens clashed sooo badly! so to get to my point, be careful, the color will most certainly influence your paintings. i vote for pale grey as well.

A rich person is not one who has the most, but is one who needs the least.
--- "Interview with God" (author unknown)

http://sitekreator.com/cmcernetisch/index.html
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2007, 04:07 PM
Midwest US

Hails from United States

In 15 years as an interior designer, I think I chose white for a clients walls perhaps once. However, in my new/old Tudor, all my walls are white semi-gloss and I'm loving it! We have hardwood floors throughout and lots of windows. It feels so fresh and very much like a gallery. I thought I'd tire of it, but, I just love it. I painted my studio with the same bright white semi gloss as I wanted to maximize the light. So far, I don't think it's influenced my colors. The floor is grey and the ceiling a pine. Perhaps the combination of all this plays a part?

Well, a long answer for you. But, in a basement, I would certainly go for the lightest grey if you want a color other than white. BTW, you could choose a warm grey. It would have a bit of beige in it to warm the color.

Good luck! Enjoy the space and your painting!

http://www.studiogigi.net
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Grand Cayman

Hails from Cayman Islands

Over the weekend I just painted my first studio a light grayish green thinking it would be neutral enough yet reflective enough. I must say that after testing some of my existing paintings on the wall, the wall colour was too cold to work well. I've decided to go back to the store and select a true neutral gray. Hope this one will work better.