WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Animal and Wildlife Subjects
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2007, 02:44 PM
Lord of the Arts
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada
Scratch board?

Ok Leigh I blame it all on you...well mostly that is...lol. I went down to the art store today and special ordered some scratch board. Unfortunately it will take about 1.5 weeks to arrive. I went looking for the scratch board channel as many people have said they cross posted in there but I don't see a tab for it. Am I missing something? I was also curious about preferences for tools as I have seen people use fibre brushes, needles, xacto knives etc. I assume pretty much anything goes for tools as long as it fits the bill then? Any info would be appreciated as I have a bit of time waiting for my chance to post something in this medium. Now I just have to find a good photo.....
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2007, 03:10 PM
A Local Legend
Oregon Coast

Hails from United States
Re: Scratch board?

go to the scratchbd forum and find Diana Lee, then go to her website for tutorials...you can use lots of things but the scratchbd tip that goes in a holder does it all 2 tips one to do big areas another for fine lines.
It's fun to do and ready made for fur.
Colleen
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2007, 05:20 PM
A Local Legend
Colorado

Hails from United States

The scratchboard forum is inside the mixed media/alternate mediums forum and there is a link to scratchbaord art in there. I have a kind of brief tutorial in my web site too.

You will find a variety of tools can be used. I personally prefer to use an exacto with #11 blade, as you can make very fine lines with it. For larger pieces you can use a couple of speedball brand tips (#12 and 13) that make larger scratches. I, personally, do not like the tool kit made for scratchbaord, but thats just me. A lot of teh medium is still trial and error and seeing what fits your style!

Check out the new International Society of Scratchboard Artists!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2007, 08:41 PM
A WC! Legend
Adelaide, South Australia

Hails from Australia

Great stuff Les. As to tools, I haven't really invested much in them yet, just a few craft sets from a cheapie shop, the kind where you can change the blades for different sizes. I think they are a cheap equivalent of the x-acto blades. They work for me and at $1.99 for six blades and a handle, they off-set the price we have to pay for the board
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2007, 09:30 PM
A Local Legend
Mid Missouri

Hails from United States

Les, just a warning, scratchboard can be a little addictive. It's a medium that doesn't require much as far as tools. It doesn't make much of a mess and it can be done about anywhere. I'm glad you are going to try it, be patient and have fun with it.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-23-2007, 10:12 PM
Lord of the Arts
Edmonton Alberta

Hails from Canada

Ok thanks for the information guys and gals. I am looking forward to trying this and hope that maybe it might be something to introduce to the group of artists that I belong to also. Now I just have to wait until my order shows up.