WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2007, 07:59 PM

What kind of ART SELLS best??

I would like to hear your thoughts on that. Thank you
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Immortalized
Salt Lake City, UTAH

Hails from United States
Re: What kind of ART SELLS best??

I believe it all depends upon those who are looking at the artwork, as well as were in the world you are selling it. Just MHO
Midge
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Tennessee

Hails from United States

I was told by a professor that people respond best to paintings with either people/ and or the color red in it.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2007, 05:37 AM
Enthusiast
Alaska

Hails from United States

I have read (and observation seems to bear it out) that it depends on who is buying and their motivation at the time...some buy for prestige whether they like the piece particularly or not, others might buy for investment, and others because it resonates with them on a personal level. Quite a few people buy a painting to match their sofa or wall color.

I've heard folks say landscapes sell best but in another market it might be abstracts. I have about come to the conclusion you have to paint what you feel and then find your market or maybe it will find you. I'll be interested to read all the responses you get to your question.

Keep painting!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2007, 09:43 AM
Lord of the Arts
Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

In his book, Paint Red Hot Landscapes that Sell Mike Svob claims that warm colors sell better than cool colors.

My Blog My Etsy Shop My Website
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2007, 09:54 AM
Sydney

Hails from Australia

art with color

right now anyway

My Ebay Listings
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2007, 08:34 PM
Medford, Oregon USA

Hails from United States

Once read an article that said "art that sells is art that CONNECTS"...

And to make that connection with the viewer, the article gave 3 broad categories: Heart, Head, and Humor

Heart--art that makes the connection via the emotions

Head--art that makes the connection via the intellect

Humor--art that makes the connection via tickling the funnybone

"The thoughts we choose to think are the tools we use to paint the canvas of our lives."--Louise Hay
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2007, 09:08 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Hiking and Biking around San Diego, CA

Hails from United States

It's hard to say what sells best. It depends a lot on who you are marketing to. If you want to get into certain galleries and have those big (though infrequent) sales, then it's best to go with an expressionist type of artwork, or an abstract or modern type of work.

But, if you want to sell your art to the public, such as private collectors and businesses, then a more mainstream type of artwork would probably sell better.

In general, people want art that they will enjoy looking at or being in the room with. There is also a market for work that will be a conversation piece in and of itself.

So, there is no one specific type of artwork that appeals to anyone, it all depends on who your target buyer is.

This of course is my opinion based on my observations and experience.

Blog , Squidoo! My New Bird Blog
Canon Digital Rebel T3, 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Gimp, and PE 2.0
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2007, 09:18 PM
Enthusiast
WA

Hails from United States

Seems every home has a landscape artwork and every place of business has an abstract. So I guess it depends on who's buying more art. I'd guess business spends more on art.

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2007, 09:26 AM
Lord of the Arts

I would reply that GENERALLY - in answer to such a general question - landscapes with a regional theme will always sell well, followed by well-done and interesting still lifes. Flowers are usually a sure winner in the latter case.

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2007, 01:56 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Louisiana

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rettakat
Once read an article that said "art that sells is art that CONNECTS"...

And to make that connection with the viewer, the article gave 3 broad categories: Heart, Head, and Humor

Heart--art that makes the connection via the emotions

Head--art that makes the connection via the intellect

Humor--art that makes the connection via tickling the funnybone

Retta, love this answer!

A couple of years ago, my mother started looking for paintings for her new home. She has two. Both equine works... one is a mare and stallion done in a renaissance style, the other an Arabian stallion being sold at a bizarre.

Why? Because she has horses. That's her connection.

I have 2 prints done by some of the TSR artists. Why? Because I read the books growing up, now I have the artwork on my wall. And yes, they're dragons.

I have no interest in landscapes or still lifes. The work may be beautiful, but it has no connection for me (unless maybe it's a swamp scene). There will always be a majority that will sell more work than others. But I don't make (or buy) work based on that.

I wouldn't hang a landscape in my new home simply because my visitors expected me to have one. It really is about what you love, and what moves you.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-22-2007, 04:03 AM
Scottsdale, AZ

Hails from United States

I think originals and reproductions sell differently to different kinds of buyers. Price points also make a difference. Decor magazine frequently surveys its readers to ask what sells best in their shops. Not surprisingly, landscapes and florals top the list. It's the safest and most pleasing to the largest segment of the buying public and they typically go in any decor in any region of the country. How can a flower be controversial?

Art.com publishes its Top 100. Many poster publishers show what's hot on their websites as do other sites selling art online. If you study the ads in the trade mags or art consumer mags that most corresponds to your style and price points, you'll get a sense of what is popular. Artists and publishers are too savvy to consistently spend thousands to promote dogs that won't hunt. So, by virtue of what they are offering, you get a view of what they perceive to be selling well, or think will sell well. Walking tradeshows like the upcoming Decor Expo Atlanta and ArtExpo Las Vegas can be very informative in this regard.

I leafed through the latest Crate & Barrel and Restoration Hardware catalogs today. They both show more muted colors than previously. Chocolate browns and light blues, oranges, rust are still represented, but in darker, and to my eye more sophisticated palettes than previous iterations. You can pick up lots of color trends and content subject matter ideas from the home furnishings category if you are looking at the print reproduction and licensing markets for opportunities. If you seriously study trends, you will often find the color palette of the soft goods this season, such as sofas, lead the way for art and other decorative accessories in subsequent seasons.

If you are strictly in the originals market, you paint to impress your collectors, study your ideal collector, learn their tastes and design your work to appeal to them. You can't sell snow scenes in Scottsdale or cacti in Scarsdale. That means whether you are painting to sell to a national audience or a regional, you have to adjust what you are doing to meet the demand in the demographic and geographic areas you have targeted.

Being specialized and known for a look can help sales. It's done wonders for artists in all genres and price points to have a reputation staked out. Choose any well known contemporary artist and this is consistently borne out.

Your question begs a question, which is, "What are you trying to achieve with your art?" Is it a few modest sales of originals, or are you looking to aggressively attack the poster or giclee market, or something altogether different? Are you seeking to be known nationally, or looking for regional exposure?

The more refined you are with regard to your intentions for your art sales, the easier it is to decide what sells best in the areas of importance to you. I think if you know what you want to do with your art, you can hone in on what you need to learn to make it happen. When you have that dialed in, you can put your blinders on and focus on getting there without the distractions of trying to comprehend and compete with the entire art market.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2007, 01:42 AM
Odessa

Hails from Ukraine

You can sell anything if you have customer for this item. However I discovered that there is easier to sell abstract paintings abroad via Internet and realistic paintings domestically. I can not explain this.
Mickola

http://www.vorokhta.net
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Bethel, CT

Hails from United States

I beg to differ with those who says "its hard to tell" what art sells best. Its fairly easy because you just look at what people are buying! If we are just talking about paintings then time and time again in surveys landscapes sell best by a wide margin. Abstracts come next due to their prominence in corporate and retail settings. These abstracts are ussually created in "factories" where artists pick a color pallette, lay out a dozen or so canvas and start painting from one end to the other. A marketing dept. then sells the paintings to interior design firms or directly to retail companies. I knew an illustrator who did this when things where slow. He said it was a nice and relaxing change of pace! Just pure design and color--no narrative imparative and no AD breathing down your neck!
http://TomNackidArt.com

Last edited by tomnackid : 08-25-2007 at 11:13 AM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2007, 11:43 AM
A Local Legend
Montréal

"What kind of ART SELLS best" versus to "What Kind Of Art Will Stand Test Of Time"

Or "What Kind Of Art You Like Creating "

Food for thoughts

Daniel
......More Art................