WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Encaustics, Collage and Alternative Materials
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2007, 01:28 PM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States
The Mixed Media forum challenge, 8/13/07 - 8/31/07

So here's my proposal: try this technique, using your camera and whatever materials you have lying around, post your picture here within the next two weeks (or so), and then we'll have an internal poll to pick a "winner". What does the winner get, you ask? You mean, besides our total admiration???

The winner gets to choose what the next challenge will be, of course!

Here's the technique: making a photographic collage

I used leaves for mine (ok, I confess ~ I did this last fall), but please use whatever materials you'd like. Leaves, grass, fabric, images, toys, food, whatever you've got plenty of. I love mixing physical and digital techniques together, especially when it comes to making the backgrounds physically and then scanning or shooting them to use in further digital manipulations. You don't have to have any fancy software to do this particular challenge.

Start by arranging your items all over a large piece of paper. Cover the paper thoroughly, overlapping them. I used white here so it would show up better in the picture, but a dark color is better to use for the real thing. Somehow, there is always a white spot that ends up showing through otherwise!

Take lots of photos of the leaves, some close up, some at a distance. (I'm going to say "leaves" from now on instead of "items"...you know what I mean!) Just shoot away at any part of the larger piece that looks good. Store all these files for later use in making digital collages.

While your leaves are still strewn about, add some 3D objects to the mix and snap photos of these too. Wow, two for the price of one…a collage now and more later!

Add any background papers you please behind the shots you decide to keep. I scanned these background papers a long time ago, and now I use them digitally all the time, modifying the size and color to suit.

This entire piece pictured above is digital...I never did have the photos printed out, but you could do that if you wished, and mount them any way you wanted or use them in your work. Maybe in an altered book or on an atc?

So, whaddaya say? Anyone want to play?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-13-2007, 05:39 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico
Re: Anybody wanna play? A Mixed Media forum challenge, 8/13/07 - 8/24/07

This is a super challenge Cyndi, count me in. Hope those of you out there will also come and join Cyndi with this challenge.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2007, 10:04 PM
USA

Hails from United States
Re: The Mixed Media forum challenge, 8/13/07 - 8/24/07

Just noticed this project. I will try this out too!

My Blog
My Etsy
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-14-2007, 10:09 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Pasadena, CA

Hails from United States

This looks fun, I might play.. I have to clear away some space first. It is on my ToDo List
C&C always welcome
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2007, 07:50 AM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Great to see you Robin, I'm sure Cyndi will be very pleased with what you come up with, if you can.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2007, 08:51 AM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States

Hi Juana and Robin! I hope you'll be able to play Since this is the first of our forum challenges, it might take a little while for folks to catch on. Don't worry too much about the "deadline", Robin...we can extend it for another week since this is our first time out if that will help!

I'm going to be leaving tomorrow for a week of vacay (yeah, in the middle of the week...how strange!), so I'm hoping that Mary can field most of the questions while I'm gone. Hopefully there won't be any questions, because there really aren't any rules!

Have fun
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2007, 01:54 PM
Ogden Utah

Hails from United States

Here is my collection
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2007, 03:11 PM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States

Oh wow! Is that an old camera on the right side?

I'd love to see what this shot would look like if you cropped in really tight on the center objects...do you have some photo editing software that you can use to do that? If not, I'll be glad to do it for you, just so we can see what it would look like.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-15-2007, 09:09 PM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States

Dang, now that I offered to do that, I'm going to have to put it off for a week when I get back from vacay

Hope there are lots more entries when I get back...happy creating!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2007, 04:00 AM
Ogden Utah

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi L
Oh wow! Is that an old camera on the right side?

I'd love to see what this shot would look like if you cropped in really tight on the center objects...do you have some photo editing software that you can use to do that? If not, I'll be glad to do it for you, just so we can see what it would look like.

I have software but have not made satisfactory crops. the camera is a kodack bronie box.

Last edited by M A Durham : 08-16-2007 at 04:03 AM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2007, 06:30 AM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

M A Durham, that looks like a great selection! Can't wait to see it cropped.

Cyndi, we'll be watching this while you are away. Have a great time!
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2007, 07:52 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

I would like to hop on this bandwagon.

Just want to be sure...is it alright to mix stuff up with a digital programme or is it to be straight photography?
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2007, 07:58 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Hi Karen! Cyndi will be away a week but I am sure it will be allright. We would love to have you join.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2007, 08:05 PM
Enthusiast
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlelevier
Hi Karen! Cyndi will be away a week but I am sure it will be allright. We would love to have you join.

Okay Mary....thanks.
I did read the instructions but not quite sinking in. I'll do it again to be sure I understand before submitting. I never do stuff like this in public.
Maybe it's about time.

LOL...if it were just straight photography I'm set. There's a sink full of dirty dishes...and quite an eclectic mess at that! : )
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2007, 09:04 AM
WC! Guide
Loony Toonsville

Hails from United States

Hi guys! I just managed to find a small pocket of civilization and a computer

I don't think I'll be able to check in again before I get back home, but I wanted to answer Karen! No problems, Karen...mix it up any way you want. I usually use my photographed physical backgrounds as the base layer in a Photoshop sandwich, but there really aren't any rules for this. The example above is all physical objects, but all assembled digitally and never printed out. You can do whatever you'd like for this...the idea was just to get the ball rolling here and suggest a photographic collage. Since most of us have digital cameras now, I thought it would be fun. I don't want it to be the source of any anxiety!

You do whatever you want that follows the spirit of the challenge...don't worry about the details