WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2007, 02:25 PM
North Carolina

Hails from United States
Soft pastel painting on canvas: Need advice, please

This is a soft pastel painting on canvas coated with Colorfix primer. I would love some help with two things:
1. What suggestions do you have for the background? I don't want it to distract from the musicians.
2. Does anyone know a way I can seal this without damaging the pastel? Is there some kind of varnish I can use?

I appreciate any help you can offer. Thank you!
Kim
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2007, 02:53 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Soft pastel painting on canvas: Need advice, please

Kim,
Lovely painting! Have you been fixing the layers with fixative between applications? In my experience of working in pastel on stretched canvas using Colorfix primer, I have always varnished it with Acrylic varnish. One coat of gloss and then two of matte. I brush it on, but it has to be fixed really well other wise it smears. I have known other artists to use thinned down acrylic medium in a sprayer, sometimes between the layers, and I think some have used a spray varnish such as Golden UV spray varnish. All darken the painting quite a bit.
Is this your first painting executed in this way? If it is, I would strongly suggest that you do some tests on small canvas paintings first to test out the possibilities of sealing. Acrylic varnish does change the nature of the finished pastel, and makes it look more like an oil/acrylic painting.
There is an archived article by Sandra Jackoboice in the Pastel Journal….(If you go to either the Pastel Journal’s web site, or hers, there is a link to a PDF file) …which might be interesting for you to read ….about her techniques with pastels on canvas.
Please. Please, do some tests first so that you don’t ruin your nice painting.
Maggie
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2007, 04:27 PM
North Carolina

Hails from United States

Thanks, Maggie, for all the great info and encouragment. I did one other pastel on canvas. When I used fixative, it disolved the pastel, but I had not used the Colorfix primer. I will try fixative on a small area in the background since I plan to rework that. I will also read the article you recommended and do some tests with Acrylic varnish. BTW, do you have any ideas for how I can handle the background? Maybe a different color(s)? I have seen some of your work and love the way you handle color. I just ordered Susan Sarback's book "Capturing Radiant Light & Color in Oils and Soft Pastels." Color and light is something I need a lot of work on. Thanks again for your help!
Kim
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2007, 09:48 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United Kingdom

Kim,
Thank you for the compliments on my work. I hope you don’t think I am being rude, but I prefer to share my experiences of techniques and materials I have tested myself rather than critique or give advice on color. Color is such an intuitive thing for me, that often I can’t even explain why I put things together or why they work (and they don’t always)! There are a lot of seasoned, very experienced pastel artists on this site who will be able to help you better than I in that area.
Getting back to fixative, yes it does dissolve pigment sometimes, especially the paler colors. I often compensate for this by going heavy on the whites expecting a lot to be dissolved. Fixative can be used to your advantage sometimes, especially if you have a dark under painting, and want some of it to pop back out.
I think if you are painting on canvas to frame without glass you will definitely need an acrylic coating of some kind to permaently ’fix it' and preserve the painting.
Have fun experimenting…
Maggie
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2007, 05:26 AM
A WC! Legend
England

Hails from England

Hi Kim

I love this as it is and wouldnt touch it - the colours give it a glow, energy and light...... its all spot on ........

well done
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2007, 11:19 AM
North Carolina

Hails from United States

Thank you, Dark Shades. I appreciate your kindness! Maybe I'll just try adding a bit of texture to the background with more lines/hatching/scribbles. I can always blend if it doesn't work.

I took a peek at your virtual gallery. You do beautiful work! Especially love the Kissing Cousins on the Beach!
Kim
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2007, 01:13 PM
North Carolina

Hails from United States

"I hope you don’t think I am being rude, but I prefer to share my experiences of techniques and materials I have tested myself rather than critique or give advice on color. Color is such an intuitive thing for me, that often I can’t even explain why I put things together or why they work (and they don’t always)! There are a lot of seasoned, very experienced pastel artists on this site who will be able to help you better than I in that area."

Maggie, I definitely don't think you are being rude. I am SO THANKFUL for your input! Thank you for sharing your experiences with this medium. I learn so much from other people, but I know the best way to learn is trying things for myself. Yes, I will enjoy experimenting!
Kim