WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Printmaking
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2007, 03:31 AM
WC! Guide
Cobble Hill, BC

Hails from Canada
Print Galleries, Print Studios, Print-specific sales venues

I did a search through the forum to see if we had anything along these lines. I couldn't find quite what I was looking for, so bear with me. If there are threads, perhaps you could link to them in this one? I was hoping we could make this a "catch all" type thread (maybe sticky? we'll see where it goes) where everyone could post links to print-specific galleries or print studios where you can join and sell work, or other print-specific venues for sale of work. Maybe if you've had experience with joining the studio as a member, or whatever, that information would be useful, too. Please indicate the location (i.e. city, state, country), if you have specific contact information or details, and if you've got links to info, that'd be grand!

What got me thinking was Brian's comment in this week's Brayer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridog
It would be so nice to have the market you have in the greater Vancouver region. I live in a small city of 110,000 (with the occasional tourist passing through). I would say art appreciation is limited to a small percentage of the local population really and printmaking only accounts for a fraction of that since watercolours appear to be the most sought out artwork by those who puchase art.

I know there MUST be opportunities out there for artists who aren't in major population centres to sell their stuff, and not just on the internet. While the internet is a great vehicle, there sure is something to be said for supporting actual galleries/studios that sell actual prints and promote printmaking.

Before I get into the print-specific groups, I'll give you a little information about one group I do belong to. The Federation of Canadian Artists http://www.artists.ca/FCA-1.html (although you don't have to be Canadian to join). They have different levels of membership. If you'd like to enter juried shows, you need to start with "Active" status, which you have to submit an application for approval (i.e. you have to prove that you're work would be likely to be accepted into juried shows). Once you've been accepted as Active status, and pay your yearly membership, you can apply to various juried shows (to have a look at what shows have been on in the past, go to http://www.federationgallery.ca/). They often have shows which might be of specific interest to printmakers, including an Open Print Show (which has so far been every other year, but it's only been twice, so I don't know if it'll continue. I'm sure going to try to encourage it!), although they do accept prints into others shows, too.

So here's links that I'm aware of so far:

Malaspina Printmakers Society
http://www.malaspinaprintmakers.com/
Located on Granville Island in Vancouver, BC, Canada
They have a few different levels of membership. I just became a member, and as a result, I can enter to have my work in their twice-yearly members shows, and I can also enter to have my work in their "print bin" shrink wrap section. Both of these require jurying in. Haven't yet done so, so if there are any Malaspina printmakers out there with further comments, I'd love to hear them! There is also an artist membership level where you have to go through a mentorship program to get used to the workshop etc., but if you're not interested in using their facility, then I the individual membership is handy.

Dundarave Print Workshop
http://www.dundaraveprintworkshop.ca/index.html
Also located on Granville Island in Vancouver, BC, Canada
As far as I'm aware, they only have one type of membership. You take your stuff in to get reviewed by a selection committee, send in your application, and wait for an opening. They do require some level of committment/volunteering to run the gallery, so this option may only be reasonable for Vancouver-area resident printmakers. Any Dundarave printmakers out there to comment on this?

SNAP - Society of Northern Alberta Printmakers
http://www.snapartists.com/html/gallery/index.html
Located in Edmonton, Alberta, Canda
It looks like anyone can submit a proposal for an exhibition at their gallery, so if that is your cup of tea, submission deadline looks like September 1, every year. Don't know if they have a similar membership structure to Malaspina where if you pay fees you're eligible to submit for a "print bin" or "membership show(s)". Now I KNOW we have some northern Albertan printmakers - so do you have further information about this?
BTW - they used to have an international triennial competition, but that's been on hold indefinitely. I've heard rumour that they're working on getting it up and running again, so any further rumours would be interesting to hear.

Open Studio
http://www.openstudio.on.ca/
Located in Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I'm not 100% clear as to whether artist members HAVE to rent the studio space, or if you can be an artist member without using the studio, nor whether there's any restriction on residency, etc. Artist membership includes participation in their Print Sales program. Anyone with further information on this?

Print Arts Northwest
http://www.printartsnw.org/goto.cfm?...=artistmembers
Located in Portland, OR, USA
They have a review of submissions to join in April and October of every year, but this is only open to printmakers in Oregon, Washington, Montana, Idaho, Nevada, Hawaii, Alaska, British Columbia & Alberta, so if you're not in any of those states/provinces, . Again, members are asked to volunteer to help with the organization in some way, and are asked to donate an edition (or part thereof) for annual fundraising programs.

Women Printmakers of Austin
http://www.womenprintmakers.com/about_membership.asp
Located in Austin, TX, USA
Looks like you can join regardless of gender or location, but I'm not sure what print sales opportunities are like there.

The Print Center
http://www.printcenter.org/pc_join.html
Located in Philadelphia, PA, USA
Artist membership includes entry into annual International Competition and can apply for inclusion in exhibitions and The Gallery Store.

Edinburgh Printmakers
http://www.edinburgh-printmakers.co.uk/
Edinburgh, Scotland
They have artist memberships which enable you to submit prints for sale and have workshop access (of course after having a session to make sure you won't break stuff), but again, I don't know if this means you have to be a member who goes and uses their workshop, or if you can be a "distance" member and just submit stuff if you pay the fees...?

OK - that's all I've found so far. Looking forward to replies, and more groups if possible...

Cheers!

Reduction method printing - "The Russian roulette of the printmaking world"

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2007, 10:15 AM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Re: Print Galleries, Print Studios, Print-specific sales venues

Amie

you've done a lot of research for this post in acquiring all these links
wow!
I for one really appreciate your effort
I am sure others will contribute to this list and/or give more details on the many you have mentioned
Although I do have a website it is not really a proper dot com URL nor do I get many sales to be honest. I don't really thnk it's that my work isn't interesting...I just don't have many visitors since it is really a link to a site my web server provides free with my internet account.
I see that a few of the other printmaking contributors in wetcanvas have sold their work with much more success via avenues like Ebay, Etsy, etc...
But you are right, getting visibility in a gallery somewhere that is established and has traffic and an art buying public is the ideal.
Perhaps seeking these out and making one's self known to them might be the answer?
I know in past discussion in the forum a few thought that some galleries don't like to be approaced directly by an artist in terms of just walking in with a portfolio. Maybe a letter of introduction by mail or email would be first approach. Then if they are willing to take a look at the artwork (hopefully by submitting a digital or standard slide if one lives a distance away and can't always do an in person interview) consideration would be given. I think that most of these places jury the new work to determine if it meets their standards for originality and will it hold appeal for the marketplace.

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart

Last edited by bridog : 08-09-2007 at 10:23 AM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2007, 11:00 AM

I am familiar with both Malsapina and Open Studio. Open studio does not require that you use their shop to be a member, and if you become a member there are several opportunities during the year to submit work for
fundraisers on a 50/50 basis (50% goes to Open Studio, 50% to the artist).
If you are a member you will also receive their information regarding residencies, which can be expensive since you must pay your own transportation costs and rent/food while you are there. They do give a fee for a public presentation if you are accepted to the residency (I think it is
$500.00) and they also, I believe, still give a small amount towards materials during the residency. Open Studio is in downtown Toronto.

Malsapina is a thriving communal printshop. They do have a lot of traffic
through the shop looking for artwork so I would think this might be a good
place to put your work. If you are living outside of the greater Vancouver
area it might be worthwhile to consider smaller works, since the cost of
shipping can become a problem with bigger works. Smaller works also tend to sell quicker. Malsapina also has a residency programme and if you
are a member you will receive this information in a timely manner. They,
like open studio, offer a residency allowance of I believe $500.00 (which
necessitates a public presentation) and a small amount for material costs.
Living arrangements and travel must be born by the artist.

St. Michael's printshop in St. John's, Nfld. is another Canadian print collective. Located in downtown St. JOhn's on the waterfront (you can see the waterfront from the upstairs window), this printshop is one of the oldest
in Canada. It offers residencies to artists, and again gives an allotment of
I believe $500.00 to Canadian artists, and maybe more to international artists for a resident artist which precludes a public demonstration or talk.
They do not cover transportation or living arrangements, although they do
have some arrangements with downtown B and B's which offer reduced rates to artists. They do have a website. www.stmichaelsprintshop.ca
They have a small gallery space, and they do offer work for sale through the printshop.

BlackChurch printshop in downtown Dublin also offers communal printshop
membership. I do not think you have to be an active user of the shop to
become a member. They have an aggressive marketing campaign for their
artists and sell a lot of work. You will have to submit digital slides and a
C.V. to be considered.

Snap artists. I am a very active printmaker and aggressively look for venues to show my work. These people have not been very good about getting back to me regarding proposals I have submitted. I have given up
on them because I believe that they continue to show /and or work with only a small number of printmakers that they know.

Audrey Feltham
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2007, 01:39 PM

Hails from United States

Amie, thank you for starting this thread and your detailed descriptions!
Here is my contribution (I have membership in both):

The American Color Print Society, Philadelphia PA
ACPS membership enables you to exhibit in the annual members' shows as well as the open shows. Members will be juried for prizes only. Exhibits are held in the tri-state area. Dues are $30.00 per year, due each January. Members receive members directory as well as the newsletter, The Color Proof. Meetings are held periodically to take care of society business, occasionally meet visiting print-makers, collectors, or for visits to print collections or print studios. Here are the details how to apply:
http://www.americancolorprintsociety.org/joinus

LOS ANGELES PRINTMAKING SOCIETY
A national non-profit organization based in Los Angeles, California, is dedicated to the encouragement of printmaking, devoted to the interest of printmakers, public collection and private collectors of fine prints. Annual dues: $50. To qualify, candidates must submit a separate application with 6 current slides. 3 jurors choose new artist members twice a year. Check our "calendar" for the specific dates in the spring and fall.
http://www.laprintmakers.com/

My Etsy store ~~~ Absolutearts Portfolio ~~~ My website
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Pittsburgh, PA

Hails from United States

Some links for a lot of workshops:
US workshops: http://printfreak.blogspot.com/2005/...rintshops.html

UK workshops: http://printfreak.blogspot.com/2005/...ish-isles.html

Canada: http://printfreak.blogspot.com/2006/...prinshops.html

World: http://www.globalprintstudios.org/

Tibi
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2007, 07:01 PM
WC! Guide
Cobble Hill, BC

Hails from Canada

First of all, thank you everyone so far for contributing with more information and more links to check out, I really appreciate it, especially the personal experience insights.

As far as my research goes, this has been collated over some period of time; I'm always cruising through the internet looking for competitions and print studios. I'm thinking I might start a competition thread, but I'll first search to see if we've already got such a thing somewhere. Personally, I think that collegiality is the way to go for artists, so I'm more than happy to share knowledge and experience about "getting stuff out there". I don't really look at it as competition - we all have such different styles, techniques, subject matter, etc., and there are so many different personal tastes on the buyer's side. I think it's more important for us to share if it'll help all of us collectively as printmakers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridog
I know in past discussion in the forum a few thought that some galleries don't like to be approaced directly by an artist in terms of just walking in with a portfolio.

These galleries in this thread are more about print groups and their galleries are an adjunct to that, so it's different than trying to get your stuff into a regular "commercial" gallery . I have not crossed that threshold yet. Frankly, I don't believe there is really anything available here in Vancouver that meets the commercial gallery qualification AND really promotes printmakers, certainly not the same as the print studios who have a serious vested interest in promoting printmaking to the world. As a result, they have different requirements and qualifications to become a member; because you're a member, you're also part of the organization as a whole, as opposed to being just a supplier to clients. And often, being a part of a printmaking organization really strengthens your own identity as a printmaker, because, as we all know, it's tough "competing" with the painters for market share, and it really shouldn't be about that, because we are a different art form, and should be recognized and lauded as such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyFeltham
Snap artists. I am a very active printmaker and aggressively look for venues to show my work. These people have not been very good about getting back to me regarding proposals I have submitted. I have given up
on them because I believe that they continue to show /and or work with only a small number of printmakers that they know.

Thanks Audrey. I have heard that from someone else, too. I would be interested to here any further information from others.

Cheers to all, and I look forward to any further contributions/comments!

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-09-2007, 08:56 PM
WC! Guide
Cobble Hill, BC

Hails from Canada

Couple more I just found from earlier posts from Diane:

California Society of Printmakers
http://www.caprintmakers.org/index.html

Washington Printmakers Gallery
http://www.washingtonprintmakers.com/membership.html

BTW - Tibi, great links, thanks, especially globalprintstudios!

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
New Hampshire

Hails from United States

One more: I belong to Two Rivers Printmaking Studio in White River Junction, VT. www.tworiversprintmaking.com. It's small (one etching press, one litho press) but adequate. There are several categories of membership including General, which lets you enter shows for free and use the space for a fee and Artist, which lets you use the space, equipment, inks, papers, etc. for the cost of membership; the usual. They put out a portfolio every other year that is snapped up by museums as well as collectors. They are able to sell prints in a wide range of prices, too. Their website is a bit stale because of the webmaster's illness, but should be back in action soon.
Barbara

my blog: http://genericnews.blogspot.com
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Pittsburgh, PA

Hails from United States

International Print Center New York has a very large directory of print workshops, with detailed info about each one: http://www.ipcny.org/info/workshops/..._Workshops.htm

Tibi
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-16-2007, 06:51 PM
Pender Island, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada

Wow....great stuff.

As a printmaker sitting on an island of two thousand people (winter time) on Pender Island, there aren't a lot of printmakers out here...LOL. I keep looking for workshop opportunities in Vancouver or Victoria, but so far, zip.

This winter it is my goal to get going on new prints, and getting some stuff submitted to Federation (of which I am a member, but haven't done anything with it yet) and Malispina. In the meantime, my main marketing venue is my studio, Artcraft on Saltspring Island, and the Farmer's Market here on Pender. I sell some prints and meet some people, so it's good for the summer.

Thank you all for sharing the information, and thank you for this thread...
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2007, 07:25 PM
WC! Guide
Thunder Bay, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Welcome Bev
sorry your contribution to this thread almost slipped through the cracks
but none the less a late but gracious hello
your artwork is wonderful...checked out the link you gave. You are very talented and I really do admire your sense of colour!
must be very interesting to experience two totally different places in the world that one can call home?
I have a painter/musician/actor friend from Northern Ontario who lived for a while in Sudan (well before the current humanitarian crisis that is happening). She now lives in a small mining community of maybe 1000 people smack dab in the middle of the woods of Northern Ontario but travels and shows in the big places like Toronto

Amie's contribution of gallery links and printmaking associations certainly has perked up some ears here in the forum

www.myprintmakingjourney.blogspot.com
visit my Etsy shop: www.etsy.com/shop/borealart

Last edited by bridog : 08-20-2007 at 07:34 PM.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-16-2007, 11:27 PM
Whidbey Island, WA USA

Hails from United States
Re: Print Galleries, Print Studios, etc, for Wash. state

I'd like to add:

Seattle Print Arts in Seattle. From their web site: an association of artists, arts professionals and collectors who have an avid interest in the expanding field of print arts and an appreciation of the print media.

Sev Shoon Art Center in Seattle. Classes and print studio rental available. "Sev Shoon Arts Center began in 1991, in response to the art community's need for a printmaking studio in Seattle."

Pratt Fine Art Center offers classes with access to studio.

And of course, Corvidae Press, a printmaking studio and guild in Port Townsend, WA that I belong to. We are in our first year and welcome new members.

Best, David
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-17-2007, 02:59 PM
Australia and Canada

Hails from Australia

I just posted this in the Weekly Breyer and I think it has some relevance in this thread so I'll repeat part of what I had to say -

I wanted to buy a piece of work from the gallery on Granville Island that Amie posted a link to a few weeks' ago. Amie I think you took part in that exhibition and worked there during the show - you posted a link to a newsletter which is where I saw the serigraph I wanted. Anyway, I sent an email to the gallery to enquire about purchasing the print - a beautiful screenprint of Whistler Mountain. We have a condo in Whistler and I wanted to buy the print for a Christmas gift for my husband. When I eventually got a reply I was told that print was no longer available but if I'd like to call in to the gallery itself they have a portfolio of similar work by the same artist. I wrote back to say thank-you but as I was Australian and visiting my daughter in Montreal, chances of my calling in to the gallery in Vancouver were highly unlikely. I have actually been to Granville Island (great place) when we were refurbishing our condo, but I rarely visit Whistler (via Vancouver) asI don't ski any more and 12 Canadian winters in Montreal were enough for me!

What I found astonishing is that the gallery didn't maintain contact with me when I advised I was unable to physically visit the gallery. They didn't write back or send photos of other works by that artist, didn't even put me in touch with the artist. I don't have time to chase a purchase, but I might very well have been interested in another piece of this artist's work and the poor/lack of response by the gallery that carries her work is disappointing to say the least. Most of all I feel sorry for the artist. Our condo is rented out on a nightly basis when we aren't using it so her work would have been exposed to a possibly new clientele as well.

So, how well is your gallery promoting and working for you? Makes you think, doesn't it.

This correspondence was with the Malaspina Printmakers Society. I think they could show a bit more enthusiasm than this when a sales enquiry is received.

However this is a good example how, in a very round-about way, an artist "could" sell a print. I read the Printmakers forum on Wet Canvas and saw Aime's post about an exhibition she was involved with. She gave a link to an article about the exhibition and I took the time to check out that link. I saw a print in that article that appealed to me so I went to the web site of the gallery and sent them an email to enquire about purchasing a print. Unfortunately the gallery didn't do a very good job of satisfying a serious buyer. It's quite possible I would have found another print similar to the one I wanted but I don't have a print and the artist doesn't have a sale because the gallery didn't make the most of my interest in purchasing a print.

CarolAnn

PS - Bev, I LOVED your work and I'd like to know more about your monoprint methods when you get time.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2007, 01:13 AM
In China

Hails from China

I am Zhenlian,I do animal fantasy paintings, I would like to sell my paintings by print on demand,can somebody suggest a site which can do this? My site is :www.yilianart.com
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2007, 04:26 AM
Pender Island, BC, Canada

Hails from Canada

Thanks for the interest in the monoprints, Carol Ann. They are pretty simple really, using "cut outs" from my drawings on overhead projector sheets, I simply ink and print. Sometimes I use rollers to create a background on the plexiglass first, and I just let the shapes collect more ink and get more interesting. It's fun and stress free. I find I can do about 20 before I get bored with the images. Then there is what I call "freefall" monoprinting, which is just working with lots of materials, rolling inks, masks, multiple prints through the press, etc. It's not rocket science...it's just fun.

Thanks to Amie, I'm pursing getting work into the Federation of Canadian Artists gallery (have applied for two shows, one painting and two prints) and have had them all accepted), and my goal is to achieve signature status by next year. I've also pursued membership with POG, and am planning a printmaking workshop here on Pender (trying to stimulate interest in printmaking) this winter in January.