WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2007, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Born in India, US citizen, lived in China, now back in San Francisco

Hails from United States
Simulate artwork using ceramic tiles

Hello all,

I want to create a fairly large say 10 ft x 50 ft artwork using broken tiles and cement. The cement will be laid on first, then the tiles will be put in but the cement will show through between the tiles. I have never done this before and its a fairly large and expensive project, so before i launch off i would like to see what it looks like. Is there a software or a feature that would allow me to do this without having to place every single tile. eg. I have a large circle that represents a head. Its blue. The cement is light brown and the tiles are blue. Can I draw a circle, fill it with light brown then overlay another circle filled with blue and break the second circle into random parts so that parts of the first circle show through?

Not sure if I was clear.

Thanks for your help,
Sridhar V Ramasami

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-28-2007, 09:55 PM
Norfolk's Ghent, Virginia

Hails from United States
Re: Simulate artwork using ceramic tiles

Are you trying to do a mosaic?

If you have a picture of what you are speaking of you can take it into PSP and there is a filter for making a simulated mosaic, of sorts. But I'm not clear on what it is exactly you're trying to acheive.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2007, 01:49 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Hi HRSG,

Yes its a mosaic. What is PSP?

Thanks

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2007, 08:46 AM

Hails from United States

PSP = PaintShopPro

You can use most any digital art application. Most of them do have the mosaic filter in one form or another.

Here are examples of what I mean by the filter:
sample pic:

filter applied:

Doing a mosaic of the scale you mention, it will be difficult to get the pieces just as they will actually be in place on the project itself. You would have to take into account the grout line scale, the pieces already broken as well as the overall design.

Hope that helps, but let me know if I can help further.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Enthusiast
Halifax, NS Canada

Hails from Canada

Corel Painter would be a better tool for this as it allows you to set parameters and you create the mosaic by strokes, it also allows you to create a mask which would help if you wanted to repeat the mosaic pattern on another image. I haven't used this before and for this example I used the default setting for size grout etc. and used respect edges I then started in the center of the image and worked in a circle toward the outside edge. I would need more practice I think to get it usable but it definitely would work to create a working pattern.
Edie

I created another using a smaller grout setting and Grey instead of white and use stroke selection ans stroked the image trying to follow the flower shape. I haven't tried to create a mosaic since media class in university 39 years ago, but this looks like a very usable way to work.
Edie
Attached Images

Last edited by Elvira : 07-29-2007 at 12:05 PM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Hi Elvira and HRSG,

What you both have suggested is along the lines that i am looking. To push the question further - is it possible to have random shaped tiles. Its my intention to buy tiles and smash them so i get random sizes and then stick them in cement.

Thanks for your responses. I think i have a better grasp on this now.
Sridhar V Ramasami

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2007, 01:40 PM
Enthusiast
Halifax, NS Canada

Hails from Canada

Painter would likely be the one for that as it not only creats from a clone of a image but will allow you to do free form. I works like you were painting with the tile pieces if you notice there are spots where I filled in gaps the porgram broke up the tiles to fit.
The only thing I can say would be play with it, if you don't have Painter download the trial and see what you can do with it, Go to the help index in Help in the Painter screen and type in Mosaic it will bring up the manual info on creating mosaics with the mosaic and tessellation tools.
Edie
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2007, 02:28 PM
SoCal

For more irregular shapes you might try "stained glass" filter in Photoshop

http://www.WhisperingLeafDesigns.com
sumptuous botanical images
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2007, 02:35 PM

Hails from United States

PaintShopPro has all those abilities as well, but as I said before I think most digital art apps will do pretty much the same.

Doing a mosaic a breaking the pieces though will be quite different than anything you can generate in a digital program. You will on be able to do a loose facsimile of what the actual mosaic result will be.

When breaking tiles for mosaics the randomness will be something you cannot factor into the equation. Best you could do there is go by color blocking, then apply the mosaic filter.

Do you have an idea of the kind of image you want to mosaic to be? Will it be an abstract or something more structured?
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-29-2007, 03:26 PM
Enthusiast
Halifax, NS Canada

Hails from Canada

Here is what the Tessellation tool in Painter does, it doesn't have as much control as the mosaic but is rather neat To create a design I might be tempted to use both.
Edie
Attached Images

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2007, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Hi,

Thanks again for all of your answers.

I have not decided on the design, but it will be same style as my paintings (see signature line). The colors wont vary as much as the paintings but design of objects will be the same.

One of the problems I am having - on canvas, I can use an infinite number of color variations, but on the mosaic I may have only 8 or so.

Again thanks,
Sridhar V Ramasami

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-30-2007, 04:47 AM
Enthusiast
Halifax, NS Canada

Hails from Canada

If you have Painter read the manual on creating mosaic I just did and discovered that there are a lot more options than even I first thought the images I made were cloned and what I thought was happening re: the setting. stroke selection used respect edges wasn't, as they both apply differently than I tried to use them. The "Respect Edges" is used to maintain the perimeter of the image, and "Stroke Selections" and "Fill Selection" commands work with path based selections created with the selection tools. You can change colours and tile size as you go etc. It would be well worth playing with. It looks like this could be a tool with many possibilities.
Edie