WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Decorative Arts, Murals, and Faux
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2007, 08:38 AM
Immortalized
Myrtle Beach, SC

Hails from United States
Restoration of mural in Aynor, SC

This mural was painted back in the 1980s by another artist, whose name I will report when I remember it. It's on the side of brick building in Aynor, SC, and it depicts the train which was the main method of transport in the beginning days of the county, and the tobacco growing industry which was the mainstay of the economy back then. The mural has faded quite a lot over the years. The Town of Aynor has a Harvest Hoe-Down festival in the fall every year, and they've asked me to restore this mural in time for that. I agreed to do this only if the original artist gave permission. He did. There will be town employees to help with scaffolding and such, and volunteers to help with the painting.

I lived in this town for a few years when I graduated from college and started teaching (a hundred years ago ). I was the first Art Teacher they had at the high school. My parents both lived here when they were young, this is where they met and married, and my mother taught in elementary school here when she first started teaching. My father lived here as a child and was a deputy on the police force for a while. It's a sweet, small town, and I have great memories of it. This is an opportunity to give back and reconnect with all that after all these years. It's going to be fun. I'm in charge of it! Yikes!

Work starts next Monday, July 23.

Here's how it looks now, from left to right:

Ruth
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2007, 11:17 AM
A Local Legend
So. California

Hails from United States
Re: Restoration of mural in Aynor, SC

Well the original artist did a wonderful job, I can see how the colors had faded...so sad. But you and your crew will make it look wonderful, I'm curious to watch and see how you re-paint this.

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-70L &other Lenses, Speedlite 580EX, Alien Bee's lights, with wireless triggers and soft boxes umbrellas.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2007, 12:27 PM
A Local Legend
I currently live in Jacksonville Florida

Hails from United States

great project and a tribute to your work that the town feels confident you can restore what is obviously a local landmark
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2007, 12:46 PM
San Angelo TX

Hails from United States

Wow Ruth, you are a braver woman than I, but I've seen a lot of your other work and you are going to do a beautiful job. How long do you think that it will take you to finish? What kind of paint and sealer do you plan on using?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Veteran Member
Surprise, AZ

Hails from United States

Wow, what a project. This mural is huge. It's going to look wonderful restored.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2007, 09:15 PM
Norfolk's Ghent, Virginia

Hails from United States

That looks like quite an undertaking. Good luck, and what wonderful thing you are doing it for free.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2007, 11:54 PM
WC! Guide
Chattanooga, TN

Hails from United States

Maybe you could get Artist's Magazine to document this project for a future article, maybe involve your local PBS station. This is the kind of project that would make a great project for a local or regional college communication class to film as you start, maybe even an indie film from Sundance. Your work should be documented even if it involves a daily photo session downloaded from your own digital camera. Good luck
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2007, 12:42 AM
A Local Legend
Front Royal VA

Hails from United States

Wow, what an ambitious project, Ruth! Can't wait to see it finished... Oh, and better you than me ! I don't envy you this project!

Michele

Visit my website www.sommersend.com or my Facebook Fan Page www.facebook.com/sommersend
Useful links: General New User FAQ , Decorative Arts, Murals and Faux (my home forum) , Intro to Murals
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2007, 07:54 AM
Immortalized
Myrtle Beach, SC

Hails from United States

Hey, thanks for all the support, y'all! I'm not doing it for free, I still have to pay bills and buy gas! But I'm not making any profit on this one. It'll just barely cover living expenses.

It would be cool to have it documented. I just hate the thought of seeing myself on screen, yuck. I look like a bag lady when I'm working, no makeup, no hairstyle, paint-covered everything. I do plan to take photos every day as we go.

In addition to my everyday artist's acrylics, I've ordered colors from Sherwin-Williams. I asked for their very best quality exterior latex. I also asked about U-V protectant sealer, and they have something like that, but they said it only lasts 2-3 years. I'll have to confer with the mayor about that.

For some reason I'm not as worried as usual about doing this. I'm expecting everything to go smoothly and any little snags will be easily resolved. I might even lose a few pounds!

Stay tuned!
Ruth
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2007, 03:06 PM
Immortalized
Myrtle Beach, SC

Hails from United States

Okay, here we go! The original artist is Tom Goforth, who painted this mural back in 1984. We started work today. I ordered up some cool mornings, and it was 63 degrees this morning! Nice, especially for July in SC. This side of the building is in shade until about 12:30, so when the shadow gets close to the sidewalk, it's time to pack up and leave.

Here's the Mayor of Aynor, Mr. Dawsey, bringing a dropcloth. He asked me to invite everyone to the Harvest Hoe-Down Festival, 3rd weekend in September. Y'all come.

I had two great volunteer helpers this morning...

Progress pictures...

An older gentleman stopped by to tell us we were doing a good job, and said that mural represented a lot of memories.

Tomorrow the scaffolding will be up and hopefully more volunteers will come.

Ruth
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2007, 03:57 PM
A Local Legend
So. California

Hails from United States

Wow Ruth, everyone is doing a fabulous job. And I bet it is a blast painting with lots of people.

Canon 5D Mark II, 24-70L &other Lenses, Speedlite 580EX, Alien Bee's lights, with wireless triggers and soft boxes umbrellas.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2007, 06:48 PM
Lord of the Arts
Ballina nsw Australia

Hails from Australia

OH...i want to help too ...what can i do? Need a longer broom handle (see loosening up thread)
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2007, 09:30 PM
A Local Legend
Front Royal VA

Hails from United States

This is sooo cool, Ruth. I wish I could come.... I'm with Maria, need a REALLY long brush handle, tho not as long as hers!

Thanks for keeping us so close to the action, I feel so privileged!

Michele

Visit my website www.sommersend.com or my Facebook Fan Page www.facebook.com/sommersend
Useful links: General New User FAQ , Decorative Arts, Murals and Faux (my home forum) , Intro to Murals
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2007, 08:19 AM
Norfolk's Ghent, Virginia

Hails from United States

Very nice the community is helping out with the restoration. Then they too will have a vested interest in the mural.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2007, 08:43 AM
Enthusiast
Colorado Rocky Mountains

Hails from United States

This is a great project, Ruth! What an opportunity. I know it's probably too late, but there are specialty paints available for exterior high UV areas. They're used a lot here in Orlando. Theme parks and etc.

Your work is already looking beautiful! COngratulations on getting this!
Sue ANn
Be a "Fan" of my 2 Facebook art pages: My Art Trip and Sue Ann Hum, Artist www.sueannhum.com