WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink > Calligraphy
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Veteran Member

Need enlightenment about background for illumination

My calligraphy is limited to writing notes to myself and periodically writing a letter to someone. Letters for me are fairly time sensitive. So something very fancy is out for me. Periodically I like to illuminate the "D" in "Dear." A simple type of thing. Using a tan type of faux parchment. I like to make a rectangle with either Blue or Green fill. Then put the "D" in gold ink. To do the fill I use Watercolor paints.

There is a problem that does come up. The area that gets the watercolor wash kind of gathers or puckers because it is wet where the rest of the paper is dry.

I was hoping someone could advise me as to how to correct the problem or avoid.

Thanks much.

Have a Great Day,
Jim
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2007, 01:41 AM

Re: Need enlightenment about background for illumination

Here are a few ideas:
  • ZIG markers are a good alternative to watercolor paints. Double-ended ZIG markers are great outlining and filling in. If you wait for the outline to dry, you can fill in without smudging the outline if you're light-handed about it. You can get them at scrapbook stores, and even at Wal-Mart. I like the Writer (bullet tips), Calligraphy (broad-edge tips), & the Brush/Scroll combination.
  • Water-soluble colored pencils are another alternative. You color in an area with pencils and then go over the area with a brush that's been dipped in water. The paper may still buckle some, but it won't be as much as with watercolor paints, especially if you use only a little bit of water on the brush at a time. Use a water-proof black pen for outlining and then the pencils and water won't smudge it.
  • Use heavier paper. Even switching from 20# copy paper to 24# copy paper makes a difference. But good quality, heavier weight stationery is usually very good.
Regards,

Beth
www.callibeth.com
blogspot.callibeth.com
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-09-2007, 03:27 PM
spain

Hails from England

I know another way.Its slower but will prevent buckling:Iconsists of doing small portions in the colour,no big washes,but delicate small washes,waiting for it to dry, then continuing.

hope it helps

Last edited by celticrichard : 07-09-2007 at 03:31 PM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-11-2007, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
merseyside

Hails from United Kingdom

Have you tried using gouache paint instead of watercolour. You can mix the colour/tint you want then you can paint it directly onto your parchment without using water, it dries quickly as well. Would just paint the fill in area and leave your letter 'D' area nice and clear for your gold ink. Remember though that gouache is not transparent.
Marie