WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2007, 03:30 PM
WC! Guide
In the heart of The Pearl (Portland OR)

Hails from United States
Help with Triptych

I have decided to start another large project (I must be nuts!). It's a Triptych and each canvas is 18" X 36". I've already decided one needs to basically paint all three at the same time. Does anyone have any grand ideas? I have just one easle but I can easily hammer 3 nails on the wall and hang them side by side. If any of you have any words of wisdom. I'd sure like to hear them. This is a special request from my sister.

here are the ref photos...

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2007, 03:35 PM
Prattville, AL

Hails from United States
Re: Help with Triptych

Gayle, I've never done a painting like that before so I can't offer any help but I just wanted to say that I love the reference photo and can't wait to see how this progresses. Please keep us updated.

Check out my webshots albums. click here
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2007, 03:38 PM
A Local Legend
NE Oklahoma

Hails from United States

I have never painted a triptych but if you have a long table maybe you could jury rig an easel with plywood and 2 x 4's to place on top of the table so you can paint them side by side. Just a thought . Yes please share your progress on this. The photo is gorgeous and no doubt your painting will be too.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2007, 05:01 PM
A Local Legend
I currently live in Jacksonville Florida

Hails from United States

thats going to be HUGE, I don't think a couple of nails in the wall will give you the support you need to paint. Working flat on a table will be difficult because of the size. Personally if I were to consider that size endeveor I would attach a sheet of plywood to the wall with hinges at the top and and some sort of adjustable suppports on the bottom, making a collapable type of "easle". A thin strip of wood along the bottom would support the canvas's. That may not be practical for you (it wouldn't be for me because I dont have a free wall that size)

Good luck on your project, please keep us informed of your progress
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2007, 05:25 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United Kingdom

Wow! I am a beginner so have no idea how to help sadly, but am pulling up a chair and am excited by this!

Please let us see it progress and thanks for sharing!

Alison2
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2007, 06:33 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

The flowers are beautiful. I love the colors. You are much braver then I am. I would be terrified to try something like this. Jan
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2007, 07:14 PM
A WC! Legend
South of Boston, MA

Hails from United States

I think Dreamz has the right idea. You may have an old door laying about onto which you could nail a 2x2 for the bottom support of your paintings, and maybe to hold them on the top as well. Don't forget saw horses, old tables, etc., unless you are very neat and don't keep things around. Friends and neighbors may have some raw goods (how about your sister?). I agree it would be best to work on all three at a time to ensure continuity of values and colors. What fun!

Good luck. Maybe your first idea would be good with some wood to reinforce it, and attach everything to a wall.

Best,

Paula
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2007, 07:37 PM
A Local Legend
NE Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Wow Gayle, this is going to be exciting!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-07-2007, 11:21 PM
A WC! Legend
Australia

This is going to be a beauty. Lucky sister!!!
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2007, 04:10 AM
Enthusiast
UK

Beautiful reference pictures! I'm looking forward to seeing how you tackle this but sadly, I don't have any advice to give as I've never attempted one myself. Good luck.

Gail
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2007, 08:40 AM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia

I have done several tryptichs. You can screw them together at the back and paint it as though it was one. The problem with that is that you may end up with a ridge of paint that falls between the canvases. Alternatively you can paint them individually but work from one to the next. So when you are at an edge you make sure that the paint goes to the next canvas.

Does that make sense. I didn't have any trouble with mine.

Here is one I did
My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2007, 10:39 AM
WC! Guide
In the heart of The Pearl (Portland OR)

Hails from United States

Thanks all of you for the support! I love your idea Dreamz even though I have no way to accomplish it. I am going to see if I can do this in the future as it would seem to be a great idea for all kinds of large canvases (especially in a small studio).
Paula - I'm afraid my neighbors might have an extra golf cart in the garage but no old doors. My sister would have all the right left overs but she lives in Washington state about 13 miles from the Canadian border. I'm almost at the Mexican border.
Carol - I like the idea of screwing them together if it were smaller but that would leave me handling a 54" X 36" canvas.

I found a spot, moved some stuff and put 3 nails on the wall side by side. I drew it all out on an 8 x 10 sheet of paper and then took that to Kinko's and had it enlarged to canvas size. I am now in the process of tranfering the drawings to the canvases. Not being a math wiz, this all gets very complicated but after several years of doing this I am usually able to convert sizes fairly well - The folks at my Kinko's all know me and are pretty helpful too.

All I want to do today is to get the drawing on the canvas. The next two days are tied up with Dr appointments for my husband so I doubt I will be able to begin painting before Wednesday. This will be a long project..... worse than the bicycles I think. (The postcard idea is starting to appeal to me!) Thanks again guys.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2007, 11:56 AM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

One quick tip, as I work with canvases that large on the way - put up 2 nails for each canvas, about 6-10" apart. It just gives you a bit more stability.

Tina.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2007, 12:02 PM
New York City

Hails from United States

You can paint them separately (I would), but in the initial layout stage I'd do the drawings at the same time on each canvas. Lay them out on the floor and line them up.

I don't think that'll be your biggest challenge though- I think it'll be keeping your mixed colors. Pre-mix a nice batch of the three or 4 main shades you'll use, enough for all three paintings.

This will be stunning, please post pics as you work.

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-08-2007, 12:52 PM
Enthusiast
Beautiful Northern Alberta

Hails from Canada

Gayle, I have no words of advice since I have never tackled a triptych, but I think this will be amazing. Please keep us posted of your progress.

"To create one's own world in any of the arts takes courage." - Georgia O'keefe