Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Canvas vs. Canvas Board

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    N.Wiley

Being a beginner I am wondering what you prefer to work on, stretched canvas or canvas board? what are the advantages and disadvantages of both? Also, is it best to gesso first or not? What are advantages and disadvantages of that? :)

[FONT=Arial]Nancy W.
        [FONT=Arial]On the road that I have taken, one day, walking, I awaken, [FONT=Arial]amazed to see where I have come, [FONT=Arial]where I'm going, where I'm from.---The Book of Counted Sorrows, Dean Koontz

Mz_Sketch_Pad

i like the hardness of the canvas board- i can do my blending- which requires alot of scrubbing at least for me it does and the board works better than the canvas for me – that’s my vote

SEE MY PAINTINGS

My Portfolio:JOYFUL ART

Guide

yes!

Generally, unless marked as archival, canvas board is a practice surface. You can get archival but it is a few dollars more. I happen to like working on Multimedia ArtBoard, Canvas over hardboard or Canvas stretched. It depends on size, affect and feel I want.

You can get canvas in various weaves that are generally stretched but rarely will you find many choices in canvas board. If you like a smooth surface you can gesso. You may want to consider going to the information kiosk and doing some reading in there. It is always filled with good stuff.

So, the answer to the above questions is yes, yes and no, sometimes but not always.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
                The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
                "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
                "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

It’s personal choice for most of us!
                Boards need to be framed – chunky canvases don’t. :D

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

MaloCS

I prefer stretched canvas. Canvas board is just a tad bit too rigid for my tastes. I also notice that canvas board has a rougher tooth to it’s gesso texture which fights my painting style.

The only way to figure out which surface you prefer is to try them both. Then you can decide which surface compliments your painting style.

Good luck. :)

I have the pictures to prove it...

www.vincentcreative.net
                    1100ww

Besides durability of construction, the main reason I’m not interested in buying pre-made canvas/boards is the size/scale issue. Why should you be limited to 16″ x 20″? What if you want 14 3/4″ x 27 8/16″?

Gluing a piece of canvas to a piece of hardboard (if done properly) is way better than the crappy cardboard canvas boards they sell in shops.

So whether you choose board or stretchers to paint on, it’s good to just build your own. And if you don’t feel like building your own canvas stretcher, well, you’d be surprised what you can paint on (as in, make your OWN canvas board).

Doing a painting does not have to involve a trip to the expensive art store.

Keep your eyes open for old cabinet doors, shelves, etc. One of the best paintings I’ve ever seen was done on the keyboard shelf ripped off an old computer desk. And several of my paintings on canvas are stretched over old wooden window frames I found in a garage.

I guess to summarize: you can glue canvas to whatever you want, and make a better canvas board than you’d buy. :)

jan409

I use both depending on how I feel, what I have on hand, or what the job is. Jan

edtree

There’s one you didn’t mention…paper. Paper is actually my first preference, at least at this point. It’s easy to crop to fit a frame and not too expensive as I learn to paint. I use watercolor paper for many of my acrylic paintings. I also like canvas board but trying to find frames that don’t cost an arm and a leg is exhausting. Also, it’s hard to find a package of these that aren’t warped. There is a trend toward unframed art on canvas and so like Maureen pointed out, chunky canvas is a good choice because it won’t cost you extra to frame. I like 110s ideas and do have some Goodwill and garage sale treasures that I will eventually paint something on. I’ve got my eye out for old kitchen doors too.:D

Good question!

Elizabeth

Almost forgot: I don’t like gesso. Makes the support to slippery.

C & C always welcomed and appreciated!

My Website: www.CrabtreeOriginals.com

N.Wiley

Wow! A lot of good answers here. I hope to hear more. :) :clap:

[FONT=Arial]Nancy W.
                                    [FONT=Arial]On the road that I have taken, one day, walking, I awaken, [FONT=Arial]amazed to see where I have come, [FONT=Arial]where I'm going, where I'm from.---The Book of Counted Sorrows, Dean Koontz

Assaf

I started out on canvas board, and it was the right choice for me.

Nancys

I agree, all good answers, idylbrush, for size, affect and feel and Charlie’s Mum was right on about framing but I have an additional point to add to 1100ww answer about making your own. IF you have some odd sized frames from backyard sales, it’s a great way to make your own canvas board to fit them. I am not familiar with Multimedia art board but will check it out. I belong to a collaborative group of 11 Texas artists and we use standard size canvas with different depths. You can see some of our work at http://canvasbycanvas.com. For personal use, I use it all and have been gessoing watercolor paper and painting on it with acrylics. Then yesterday I did a whimiscal piece 6 x 8 on a canvas board to post on my blog: Smaller pieces lend themselves to canvas board as there is not so much chance of it warping.

I hope this helps. You will need to try both to decide which works for you.
                                            Nancy Standlee
                                            http://nancystandlee.blogspot.com

C_Line

I prefer the “spring” of stretched canvas and I like Crescent hot pressed illustration board too. Very smooth.

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Celeste Vaught

C & C Welcome

Guide

Multimedia ArtBoard is a resin impregnated paper. It tends to be brittle but it is a great surface to paint on and in the sizes I am currently working it is a rather interesting surface. At first absorbent but it soon seals up and it becomes the most interesting stuff. I like the way it can be cut and sanded. Like I said, interesting stuff.

Click here to go to the information kiosk My You Tube Channel 48hlc48
                                                    The only person you can't fool, is yourself! (Oz The Great and Powerful)
                                                    "If you think you can, or think you can't, your right!"
                                                    "The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

dreamz

I started out like most do on the inexpensive canvas boards so readily available but I found that they warp with the slightest bit of moisture. I prefer the prestretched canvas or wood panels if I want the stiffness. I don’t worry about the texture of canvas since I usually do 3-4 coats of gesso, masonite or plywood panels only require 1 or 2 coats of gesso

C&C welcome and encouraged
                                                        it's only paint...have fun with it
                                                        Webshots - Images of dreamz creations

Roger Evans

I like really, really big canvas. My typical size is 3 x 5 feet so canvas board is a non-starter for me. However, I see incredible work done on canvas board and I’m always amazed at pieces done with detail on such a small scale.

Roger

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
                                                          • The topic ‘Canvas vs. Canvas Board’ is closed to new replies.