Hi Yielding and Wendee,
Thanks for your comments, here is a close up of the crackle finish , I hope it will show. The crackle effect turned out so small it is alot like the look of skin so is very small and the camera isn't really picking up the detail. I like the crackle effect but would prefer a matte finish instead if the gloss the this glaze has.
I was pretty nervous about attempting my first firing as I really didn't have a clue what to do. I finally got the programming right on the third try. It was the lonliest load ever fired I am sure, these praying hands in the kiln, all alone, acting as the sacrificial lamb once again......I figured they had survived everything else I had put them through so it seemed the right choice. I made a couple of mistakes with the glaze 1) I could have painted it on a little thicker and 2) I didn't remove every bit of wax and polish from the cracks, so in some spots this acted as a resist. I have a full load in the kiln this morning, a bisque fire this time....it includes.....Semele, penguin, both whale tails, my clay tiles and ruler, my raku shell, the 30-60-90 entry and some small handbuilt items done by my step brother. Needless to say there is alot riding on this firing and another 4hrs before the kiln reaches max. temp.....my fingers and toes are crossed, I did load and warm the kiln to 200F yesterday afternoon and kept it warm until this morning when I set it to fire, so hopefully everything will be fine. I will let you know how it works out.
To bring out the crackle effect I applied some black stain and rubbed it over the hands until it settled in the cracksand then wiped off the excess.