WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: What hand are you?
Left-handed 12 12.37%
Right-handed 73 75.26%
Ambidextrous 12 12.37%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2007, 01:27 PM
Enthusiast
High Point, NC

Hails from United States
Left, right or both

I'm copying this idea from someone in the Colored Pencil forum. I thought it interesting and thought you all might be as well. So what are you? Left- handed, right-handed, or ambidextrous?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Lord of the Arts
Arizona

Hails from United States
Re: Left, right or both

There is also left-brain and right-brain people.....interesting poll
piper
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2007, 01:55 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Washington state

Hails from United States

I think one could say I am of two minds in this regard.

When it comes to art, I'm ambidextrous. I used to teach calligraphy and taught myself to use my left hand because I didn't think it right to try to teach lefthanded writers how to use a calligraphy pen without understanding their needs. Then there was a time when I had tendonitis in my right wrist and had to wear a brace for a few months. I had to use my left hand for everything! During that time I'd signed up to take a pastel portrait class, and didn't want to miss out on it so I did the whole thing left handed. I (and everyone else in attendance) was quite happily surprised with the result. Now I find when my right wrist begins to get tired I unconsciously switch to my left hand. I also find that switching hands will often give me a different "mind set" - not sure how to explain that phrase, but I do know I "see" differently when switching hands. One thing I need to keep in mind though is to keep the strokes going in the same direction if I'm at a place where that is needed!

Peggy
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2007, 08:32 PM
Resting in Peace
McCook, NE

Hails from United States

As far as art goes, I'm right handed, along with most everything else. But I hold and shuffle cards left handed and I shoot pool (from my wild child days!) , left handed! Guess no one ever told me any different when I first started out and I'm "all thumbs" if I try to switch in either case.

Christine

Christine Neidhofer
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2007, 10:30 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal

Hi,

I'm right handed.
My grandfather was righthanded but he was leftfooted (is this the correct word?) when playing football (soccer).

Kind regards,

José

Read about it on my Blog

I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-14-2007, 10:58 PM
Immortalized
California

Right side dominant, but the left side isn't all that bad. When a spot is awkward to draw or paint with my right, I simply use the left. Things are just go faster on the dominant side.

"Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect." Ed Parker, Sr.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2007, 01:05 AM
Enthusiast
NM

Hails from United States

Right handed for me. I've tried gesture drawing with the left, but it was really bad.

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2007, 01:09 AM
Enthusiast
California

Hails from United States

I'm a leftie here. I'm actually surprised I'm the first lefty to respond, as I know quite a large percentage of left-handed artists.

-- Linda
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2007, 01:15 AM
A Local Legend
South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Right handed.

Retha

[url]http://www.southafricanartists.com/showartist.asp?Code=DUTOI005[/url]
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2007, 07:55 AM
A Local Legend
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Right handed for me but will use my left to get into tight places in my paintings. Sometimes will use my left hand if I feel my work will benefit from the different paint strokes as well.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2007, 09:10 AM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States

I'm a leftie for drawing, painting and writing and sewing. Most everything else I do right-handed. I still can't use scissors designed for lefties. I was always given them in school and could never explain why I could not use them.

Donna T
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2007, 10:34 AM
A WC! Legend
Tiger, GA

Hails from United States

I never think about which hand to use except one time when I was trying to teach someone to knit and I realized that she wasn't understanding what I was doing. She said...I think it's because I'm left handed....which I hadn't noticed before. So I thought for a moment...then reversed my stitches (it felt like working backwards) but she understood it!

I write like a left handed person....only with my right hand. A clerk noticed that one day when I signed my name. She said...did you know you write upside down like a left handed person?

carly
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2007, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
San Jose, CA

Hails from United States

I'm a leftie, but I use the mouse with whichever hand is less tired. I bat left, but play pool right. It seems my left hand has more control, while my right has more strength. I agree that leftie scissors are strangely dissapointing. Canopeners and 3 ring binders bug me. Most teachers won't accept work done on the back side of binder paper, either.

My favorite leftie saying- All people are born right handed, but the strong, eventually overcome it. Haha! (sorry righties)
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2007, 07:42 PM
Veteran Member
Kansas City, Missouri

Hails from United States

Hi:

I answered left, but I am pretty ambidextrous. I can use scissors pretty equally with either hand because I made up my mind to do so in second grade because they only had right handed scissors to hand out. The world is so right handed by default, we lefties need to unite!

I noticed the other day while in a paint out, I at least one time I put the pastel in my right hand without thinking - that was interesting.

Also include left-eyed (if you have to shoot something like a bow and arrow, whichever eye you leave open) and left-footed (if I have to kick something, that's normally the foot.)

Peggy - I noticed your posting - probably the different feeling is good for your brain and develops different pathways. There was a book or something I remember hearing about, that had types of methods like using your off-hand to brush your teeth or if you routinely drive one route to work and you can switch it up, do that so you're not on autopilot. Juggling is another good way to exercise your noggin.

art blog www.artistpw.blogspot.com

Last edited by artist_pw : 06-15-2007 at 07:47 PM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2007, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member
Vermont

Hails from United States

I am ambidextrous, though as the (decades) pass, I've noticed the each hand has picked up certain tasks and is more proficient than the other hand. When I started school, no one knew whether I was right or left handed, as I used either for anything, including drawing and lettering (my mother taught me). When my mom asked the teacher about it (with me discreetly listening in), the teacher explained that I should be allowed to experiment to find which hand felt most comfortable for me, but that if I could use my right hand for writing, it would make it less cumbersome. Being a scientist already, I tried several different approaches, decided writing was easier using right hand. I switched easily until around 5th grade, but still can write presentably with left hand. As for making art, I use both hands, sometimes interchangably, sometimes at same time. Other tasks, well, it just depends on which hand is closest to what needs doing! This runs in family, apparently.

I find it simply an idiosyncracy and doubt it has much to do with artistic ability. However, I am happy I have a pair of left-handed scissors, as sometimes they come in very handy. If only I could find them when I need them. (This applies to the darn right-handed scissors as well.)

Dayle Ann

Anything worth doing is worth doing badly... (anonymous)