Most paints that are considered toxic are only toxic if swallowed(or presumably if you get them into a cut), and even then requires that to be repeated. The only other way seems to be when mixed with turpentine and added to the skin, the turpentine carries it through the skin. But again you'd need constant exposure.
The more toxic thing is the turps from what I gather, because they create VOCs, which you smell. Essentially it's a gas, or vapour, that you inhale if you don't have good ventilation, and you can avoid this by having good ventilation.
Generally the paints that seem to be toxic are metal based ones, such as lead based or cadmium based. Titanium and zinc are not.
This website has some helpful info http://www.paintmaking.com/pigments.htm
I assume if you're in the USA you'll get the same paints as me in Canada, which will have good warnings about health issues. If it's harmful it will say, and to a lesser degree if it's carcinogenic it'll have a warning from the state of California.
Also make sure to wear gloves when washing your paintbrushes, because that's how you'll get the majority of contact on your hands with paint and turp.