WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil > Colored Pencil Library
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2006, 11:39 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from Canada
Prismacolor Color Wheel

I have been searching high and low for a Color Wheel based on Primacolor Colored Pencils and was unable to find one. So I made my own. I just thought I would share it just in case anyone else has the same problem. Our new white project prompted me to start this. The colors may not be exact and the catagories were based on a thread by Anne called Prismacolor and complements. I might change some of the catagories for some of the colors. But it was a great place to start. Some of the newer colors are not listed but I'll keep working on it in my spare time.
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Enthusiast
Switzerland - you know: Mountains, cows, swiss cheese... AND SWISS CHOCOLATE !

Hails from Switzerland
Re: Prismacolor Color Wheel

What a great reference - Thanks so much, Janet!

I put a link to this thread in the "Multicolored White"-Project-Thread.

Amira
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2006, 01:03 PM

Hails from Canada

You're are welcome Amira! I'm glad you like it.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2006, 02:27 PM
A WC! Legend
New Jersey

Hails from United States

What a wonderful job you did on this. I think this gets printed on photo-paper so it lasts a while. I know I will be using it A LOT!

Thanks,

Anne
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-19-2006, 03:02 PM

Hails from Canada

You're welcome Anne! Thank you for the wonderful thread that helped me get this started.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2006, 08:30 AM
Canyon Lake, CA

Hails from United States

This is great Janet. I gave it a merit point. What a lot of work you did!!
JoAnn

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2006, 08:34 AM

Hails from Canada

Thank you JoAnn! It did take a while to complete but I found I learnt alot about color as I was completing it.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2006, 10:34 AM

Hails from Canada

If you have any suggestions for changes I would be very interested in your feedback. I would like to create the perfect color wheel.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2006, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Nottingham, UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Check out an old thread of mine called "Colour Theory Work" Janet - there is no such thing as a perfect colour wheel as we all perceive colour differently. Unless you get all scientific, in which case you end up with a three-dimensional blob, not a wheel. Scroll down to post #4 and there is my Prismacolor wheel. I would ask you to look again at the tonal values you have though. The colours should be arranged in rings of equal tonal value, usually getting lighter towards the middle, though this is optional. If you look at your outer rings in the Orange, or Red Violet sections and compare their tones to the ones each side, I think you will see these are misplaced. One thing you learn very quickly when you start doing wheels is that it is a construct, it is your decision where you put things - why did you only have 12 sectors for instance? You chose 12, it is your wheel, and if it helps you that is fine.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2006, 12:46 PM

Hails from Canada

Wow great thread Bob! This is very helpful, I certainly will use your advice and information to come up with a wheel that I am content with. Thank you soooo much. I chose the 12 because that appears to be the norm.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2006, 02:07 PM
A Local Legend
rural missouri

Hails from United States

Oh wow, thanks for doing this. I printed mine off. Wanda
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2006, 02:08 PM
The Desert

Hails from United States

Wonderful!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-20-2006, 03:52 PM

Hails from Canada

You're welcome Wanda!

Thank you NothingButPencils!
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2006, 11:35 AM

Hails from Canada

Here is the final version of my Prismacolor Color Wheel. The results are based on the RGB values of the colors and I purchased a program called ColorImpact3 to help with the placement of colors and RGB values of the complements. When I have the time I will be following up with as much information as possible on how a color wheel can assist you in determining what colors to use. The color of the color group names are either red for warm colors and blue for cool colors. The near complements will be found directly opposite on the wheel on the same ring. Sorry some of the color names are fairly small. I'll try to upload it to my gallery to see if I can get a better resolution.
Attached Images

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-23-2006, 02:38 PM

Hails from Canada

Here is some of the information that I could find regarding color theory that may be helpful especially for beginners like myself.

Definitions:

Primary Colors: Red, yellow and blue – cannot be mixed from any other colors.
Secondary Colors: Two primary colors mixed together resulting in orange, green and violet.
Tertiary (Intermediate) Colors: One primary and one secondary mixed together.
Aggressive (Warm) Colors: Reds, oranges and yellows.
Receding (Cool) Colors: Greens, blues and violets.
Hue: Another name for color.
Tint: Color + White
Tone: Color + Gray
Shade: Color + Black
Key Color: Dominant color in a color scheme or mixture.
Neutral Grey: Combination of black and white.
Intensity or Chroma: The brightness or dullness of a color.
Value: The lightness or darkness of a color.
Mono-chromatic: Using any shade, tint, or tones of one color.
Analogous: Using any shades, tints, or tones of colors that lie adjacent to each other on the wheel.
Achromatic: A colorless scheme using, blacks, whites and grays.
Complementary Colors: Combing a shade, tint or tone of one color and the color opposite on the wheel. Example blue and orange.
Split Complementary: Choosing one color and using the color on each side of the complement on the color wheel.
Diad: Using two colors that are two colors apart on the color wheel. Example red and orange.
Triad: Color scheme in which three colors equally spaced from each other. Example the three primary colors – red blue and yellow.
Tetrad: A contrast of four or more colors on the wheel.

Quoted from Pocket Color Wheel

Refer to the Color Wheel for color combination ideas and to see which colors complement each other. With colored pencils, you are layering semitransparent pigment, so colors change when placed one over another. Use the color wheel to inspire you to try some interesting and unusual combinations.

Quoted from Realistic Pet Portraits by Anne deMille Flood

Color and light: subdued evening and candlelight create a distortion of color. Under these circumstances light colors need more intensity and dark colors less.

Colors and distance: Distance causes receding (cool) colors to “black out”. Consequently lighter values of color should be employed for greater emphasis.

Quoted from Pocket Color Wheel

Mixing two bright colors will reduce the brilliance of both. With analogous colors, the reduction will be very subtle; with near-complementary colors, it will be more pronounced. By combining two low-intensity colors, you can attain a look of complexity similar to that achieved by mixing several colors.

Quoted from Basic Colored Pencil Technique by Bet Borgeson

By superimposing the three primary colors together, we get something akin to black.

The juxtaposing of complementary colors, that is, placing one color beside another, produces the maximum chromatic contrast.

When we mix the three primary colors in unequal proportions or two complementary colors also in different proportions, we obtain lighter or more defined colors, depending on the proportion applied. By breaking down the basic colors, we obtain a variety of browns, greens, and grays.

Quoted from Barron’s Colored Pencil

Secondaries obtained by mixing adjacent colors from the primary colors, which have a slight bias towards each other make the most intense mixtures.

Example: Lemon Yellow and True Blue

Striking differences in color and tone can be achieved by overlaying the same two colors in different ways. Varying the pressure of the pencil point is an obvious way of affecting the depth of color, but the end result can also be affected by the other order in which the colors are laid. Although the top color tends to be dominant, a light color can still make an impact when covered by a darker one.

Quoted from Colored Pencil Artist’s Pocket Palette