WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2007, 12:59 AM

Everly Originals on HSN and Chinese art factories

This report on NBC news: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18819436/ scroll down to the May 30th thing and the link to see the video report is the last.

I watched this and it really angered me. These people just crank this stuff like a factory. And not only do they copy Old Masters, but they copy living modern day artists. That wasn't noted in the report though and it might not be this particular community but there are chinese artist factories like this copying today's artists.

And then I see Everly Originals on HSN and I have to ask, he is getting chinese artists in these factories to do the work right? He doesn't say on his website yet unless he is really awesome he can't paint the thousands of paintings that he does.

What pisses me off is this: as an artist, if I have a portrait to do then I have to do the whole thing. I have to really work it. I have to paint hands and teeth and do coloring and all that. If you get Everly Originals to do it, just like in the video link, his chinese pals assembly line the work. One person does the hair, one person does this, another does that. It is all manufactured and everyone at HSN is all gaga over it.

And HSN, communist?, won't allow me to post anything on their website message board to raise a flag and say hey, this ain't art. And in my opinion it isn't it is factory produced.

Are there any HSN members who can post this information at HSN?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2007, 03:04 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
Re: Everly Originals on HSN and Chinese art factories

Regardless of whoever's doing it.. There's a {{WIDE}} gap between that 'vacation-photo type "art"... and old master's stuff. By all means - let the Chinese have it. ;O)
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2007, 03:13 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Elk River, Mn

Hails from United States

I think the Everly Originals stuff might be digitized and printed on canvas without actually painting anything, just a few mods for background variation etc.

irritating? yup, but really just more ersatz stuff in an ersatz world.

Most people really don't have a lot of apprecation of Art from my observations. Those that do would notice the difference.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." --Will Rogers
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2007, 06:23 AM
The hague, The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

I have to plea-bargain on behalf of the chinese. Rembrandt's atelier was an assembly line itself. One could do a well nose job, the other vivid eyes, all of course under the rigid editorship of the master himself. And in case one might ask, he'd tell them: yes, it's a true Rembrandt. That's the main reason why there is a true dutch state committee here that's revaluating each piece right now. Bruegel sr and Rubens did the same thing together for a couple of years.
So.., nothing is new, only the level of professionality and of course originality.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2007, 01:59 AM
A Local Legend
Las Vegas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by donn_granros
I think the Everly Originals stuff might be digitized and printed on canvas without actually painting anything, just a few mods for background variation etc.

irritating? yup, but really just more ersatz stuff in an ersatz world.

Most people really don't have a lot of apprecation of Art from my observations. Those that do would notice the difference.

I think this is similar (or the same as) the TruPaint System http://www.trupaint.com/. I think the photo is printed on canvas and then painted over or partially painted over.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2007, 02:05 AM
A Local Legend
Las Vegas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddermadder
This report on NBC news: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18819436/ scroll down to the May 30th thing and the link to see the video report is the last.

I watched this and it really angered me. These people just crank this stuff like a factory. And not only do they copy Old Masters, but they copy living modern day artists. That wasn't noted in the report though and it might not be this particular community but there are chinese artist factories like this copying today's artists.

And then I see Everly Originals on HSN and I have to ask, he is getting chinese artists in these factories to do the work right? He doesn't say on his website yet unless he is really awesome he can't paint the thousands of paintings that he does.

What pisses me off is this: as an artist, if I have a portrait to do then I have to do the whole thing. I have to really work it. I have to paint hands and teeth and do coloring and all that. If you get Everly Originals to do it, just like in the video link, his chinese pals assembly line the work. One person does the hair, one person does this, another does that. It is all manufactured and everyone at HSN is all gaga over it.

And HSN, communist?, won't allow me to post anything on their website message board to raise a flag and say hey, this ain't art. And in my opinion it isn't it is factory produced.

Are there any HSN members who can post this information at HSN?

I agree with you and it makes me mad, too!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2007, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wassie
I think this is similar (or the same as) the TruPaint System http://www.trupaint.com/. I think the photo is printed on canvas and then painted over or partially painted over.

Oh, don't get me started on the true paint people now

I emailed a host at HSN but the cool thing would be to post on HSN thing is though, I posted something before that was not approving of their products and now I am not allowed to post at all. Or I could just relax and just say to heck with it.

It just makes me angry that the numbnuts majority don't know crap concerning art. If it resembles the photograph they think you are so cool yet copying a photograph in paint is so limiting and no 'normal' person realizes the distortion and such.

The main reason I am angry though is because as I said before I am struggling to do the whole painting. If I am not good at teeth or hands or whatever I have to work it and make it work. I have to mix the colors I have to do it I can't just have an artist in the next cubicle paint what I can't for me you know?

Whatever.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2007, 03:53 AM

I mean, who can't paint this? I can paint this though I might have trouble with the teeth. It looks pasted and flat. I guess I can be glad that they are not better painters than I am though I am not exactly the greatest either.

Guess I'll stop for now.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States

Well that's why one studies and practices... Because if everyone thought art was an 'instant cakewalk'.. we'd be up to our noses in bad paintings.. (lol)

The progress of art in reality is hardly ever based on 'majorities', and it still isn't, and likely (despite our now digital age) never will be. It usually involves more specific groups with 'an eye' say... Both true of the artists themselves... and those buyers/ collectors/supporters/ etc. in turn who believed in what they were doing and helped push it forward. The majority... just falls into line afterwards one way or another as they usually do. This was true when art went from the Byzantine style to something more realistic... It was true of the Impressionists. It was true of the cubists. And most anything else that has come around. Does that sound a bit 'snobby'? Likely it is... but that's a fair part of the definition of what has made fine art... 'fine art'. Considering that, trying to appeal to 'the vast majority' first and foremost is in my opinion a fools game. At worst - It leads to either Kinkade.. or that photographic posed portrait stuff.. which I see a KaTrillion people doing. It's rarely ever personally expressive or satisfying in the longrun (How could it be? - You're letting your buyers define the all the 'art'... not you.) At best... well at best.. it can't be expected to be all that 'cutting edge'.

Last edited by Sir Paul : 06-03-2007 at 12:16 PM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Immortalized
Liverpool,England

Hails from United Kingdom

I wouldn't worry about it meself.

You can only have one original and if you don't have that then you have a piece of worthless junk.

George
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-03-2007, 03:38 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Sedona, AZ & Campobello Island, Canada

This stuff sorts itself out over time. Don't worry, be happy -- and go paint!

#12   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by corné akkers
I have to plea-bargain on behalf of the chinese. Rembrandt's atelier was an assembly line itself. One could do a well nose job, the other vivid eyes, all of course under the rigid editorship of the master himself.

Rembrandt had his assistants producing his own, original art. And by original I mean he came up with the idea for the each piece, did the research, the sketches, the studies, and blocking in. Pretty much all the masters with "factories" worked the same way. An assembly line of copyists isn't at all the same thing and it's a little disheartening that anyone would think that's the case.

For anyone who may be offended by the existence of Chinese art factories, keep in mind that you're probably not competing with these assembly-line works. People who purchase these would probably never even have considered having a portrait painted until they saw it for a fantastic price on HSN. It's highly unlikely that they were in the market for a portrait or work of art, did the research, and came up with HSN as the ideal source. The market for most of us exists elsewhere.

Don't worry about mass-production and mass-marketing; people who value craft are still out there, and not the least bit reduced in number because of this issue. Are you worried that McDonalds and KFC are causing the downfall of the restaurant business? Just because a cheap option exists, doesn't mean that people will automatically take it, and the ones who do take it were probably never going to be your clients anyway.

C&C and any other form of help always welcome!

Last edited by Alecto : 07-10-2007 at 01:03 PM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2007, 02:05 PM
Lord of the Arts
Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

What is HSN?
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2007, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member
Washington state

Hails from United States

I have to agree with Alecto, don't worry about the people who buy this stuff because they wouldn't be your customers anyway because they don't know squat about what is good art or quality work. They're probably only buying it because they have a space to fill on a wall, not because they truely admire the artist or the work, and it is cheap.

There is NOTHING in the whole world that everybody likes and there is nobody in the whole world that likes EVERYTHING.
Perception is all important. A person does not merely see what is before him, what they see is influenced and based on their own personnal experiences
http://lowellsart.blogspot.com
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-10-2007, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member
Pacific Northwest

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefinepint
What is HSN?

Home Shopping Network -- a tv channel that I don't receive and am perfectly happy that that's the case.

C&C and any other form of help always welcome!