WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Art > Fantasy and Sci-Fi Library
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2007, 12:44 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Louisiana

Hails from United States
Great Books for Fantasy and Sci-Fi Artists

Below is a listing of books that can be useful in the fantasy/sci-fi genre. Both art instruction books, as well as those simply for reference and inspiration, are included. Before investing in any book (unless you have a book obsession), it is a good idea to check and see if the book meets your needs. There will be differences in skill level, subject matter, and method of deliver that may or may not work for you. Visiting a site that posts book reviews would be a great help in decision making.

This thread will remain open, so please feel free to post book suggestions, comments, reviews, etc. in this thread. Everyone has different learning styles, so explanations on WHY a book was helpful or your favorite would greatly enhance the value of this thread. What may work for one person, doesn't necessarily work for another. Also, comments on what you don’t like about a book help, too. Just remember to stay on topic!

ART INSTRUCTION

BASIC ANATOMY
The Structure of Man: Learn to Draw the Human Figure from Your Mind
hosted by Riven Phoenix
(FYI... not a book, but a 5 DVD set)

Anatomy for the Artist
by Sarah Simblet and John Davis

Anatomy for the Artist
by Jeno Barcsay

Dynamic Figure Drawing
by Burne Hogarth

Human Anatomy Made Amazingly Easy
by Christopher Hart

ANATOMY WITH A TWIST
Anatomy for Fantasy Artists: An Illustrator's Guide to Creating Action Figures and Fantastical Forms
by Glenn Fabry, additional text by Ben Cormack

Dragonart Fantasy Characters: How to Draw Fantastic Beings and Incredible Creatures
by
J. Peffer

Drawing and Painting Fantasy Figures: From the Imagination to the Page
by Finlay Cowan

How to Draw and Paint Fairies: From Finding Inspiration to Capturing Diaphanous Detail, a Step-by-Step Guide to Fairy Art
by Linda Ravenscroft

Enchanting Fairies: How To Paint Charming Fairies and Flowers
By Barbara Lanza

Freaks!: How to Draw Fantastic Fantasy Creatures
by Steve Miller

THE CREATIVE PROCESS, TECHNIQUE, ETC.
The Fantasy Illustrator's Technique Book
by Gary A. Lippincott

John Howe Fantasy Art Workshop
by John Howe

Drawing and Painting Fantasy Landscapes and Cityscapes
by Rob Alexander

Celtic Art: The Methods of Construction
by George Bain

CREATURES
DragonArt: How to Draw Fantastic Dragons and Fantasy Creatures
by Jessica Peffer

Hell Beasts: How to Draw Grotesque Fantasy Creatures
by
Jim Pavelec

Thunder Lizards!: How to Draw Fantastic Dinosaurs
by
Steve Miller

Great Book of Dragon Patterns
by Lora S. Irish

Painting Dragons in Watercolour
by Paul Bryn Davies

REFERENCE/INSPIRATION ONLY

The Fantasy Figure Artist's Reference File with CD-ROM
by Peter Evans

Atlas of Foreshortening: The Human Figure in Deep Perspective
by John Cody and Ron Tribell

Arms and Armor: A Pictorial Archive from Nineteenth-Century Sources
selected and arranged by Carol Belanger Grafton

Weapons: A Pictorial History
written and illustrated by Edwin Tunis

Dungeons & Dragons© monster manuals
(there are many editions and supplements available)

Magickal Mystical Creatures: Invite Their Powers Into Your Life
by D.J. Conway

Last edited by bayoudragon : 02-24-2008 at 02:36 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-03-2007, 10:00 PM
Louisiana

Hails from United States
Re: Great Books for Fantasy and Sci-Fi Artists

Two more books posted!

I think I may have to get the landscape book. I saw it at the book store the other day, and it looked kind of interesting. That... and I really have a hard time with backgrounds for fantasy work.

-BD
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2007, 02:41 PM
Enthusiast
eastern South Dakota

Hails from United States

Some may be interested in books featuring work by the artist Olivia. I have the book "Second Slice," which has images of the female form in numerous styles--some risque, some fantasy, all very well done.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-03-2007, 09:38 PM
Louisiana

Hails from United States

Yes, I've seen one of her books. Wonderful pin-up work.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-29-2007, 04:58 PM
Editor

Glad to see a post about books up here. There are some great titles listed too! I confess that I work for the publisher of some of the titles listed, but I have to say they really are good books.

Nice to see DragonArt by J. NeonDragon Peffer on this list, it's such a fun and helpful book (there is another great book by the same author as well, DragonArt Fantasy Characters, which goes beyond dragons to elves, goblins and other creatures).

John Howe Fantasy Art Workshop is a gorgeous book filled with insight from a well known illustrator of Tolkien's work.

If you're into really creepy stuff check out Hell Beasts by Jim Pavelec.

If you want some more info check out the IMPACT books partner forum.
www.fwpublications.com
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Central NJ

Hails from United States

I just picked up John Howe's book and the Hell Beasts book, and just did a quick run through on both of them and they look like great books. And I love the books done by Pfeffer as well.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-14-2007, 09:59 AM

thanks for the info on the books, i'll have to look for them
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-15-2007, 12:23 PM
Editor

Hi all,

Speaking of books, check out the IMPACT Books partner forum because we're having a couple of book giveaways this month!

Best,

Scott
www.fwpublications.com
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-06-2007, 08:16 PM
Enthusiast
Arkansas

Hails from United States
Talking Re: Great Books for Fantasy and Sci-Fi Artists

Oh Yeah! Burne Hogarth Dynamic Figure drawing was my very first art instruction book and I love it-I have used it 'till the poor things in several pieces. I have a girl and while I am not much into Manga. I bought her Manga Fantasy Madness, and she actually draws from it! Even I have to admit that it's got some good stuff in it! Shame on me, but I might even tell you where I got it for 4.95,lol. I was surprised to see that info on drawing the head was pretty basic and easy to understand, and the eyes were not enormous. There were tons of examples for the kids starting with the basic stick and building to the complete figure. I do think the stuff on perspective's to advanced for most kids though. Also, did the person posting about Hell's Beast get the book? If so, what did you think about it? That's one of the books I am thinking about getting for christmas. (Merry Christmas, here's Hell's Beast!) Thanks for the info about Impact-I love thier books and they are having a book give away! bye! more books....more books...more...
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2007, 03:49 PM
Editor

Thanks to tarpalsfan for the vote of confidence in Impact Books. I'll keep you posted on new things that are happening (contests, events, etc.) Also check out the Impact partner forum for updates. Right now there's a couple of fun book giveaways going on.

Best,

Scott
www.fwpublications.com
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2008, 11:46 PM
Enthusiast
Arkansas

Hails from United States
Talking Re: Great Books for Fantasy and Sci-Fi Artists

HEY-SCOTTFRANCIS, DON'T READ THIS....
I got a new fantasy artbook today...(whispers) The Fantasy Illustrators Technique Book-It's beautiful and has some neat ideas and techniques that even this book horder hasn't seen before. It has the basics, drawing, painting, ect. of course, but it also has info. on Visualization (you know, getting that idea down on paper before it escapes) and color charts for skin tones! There is alot of good stuff packed into this book! I think that even the non-artist fantasy art lover would enjoy this as it is loaded with great artwork. Don't worry Scott, I ain't a complete traitor! Hm, did I see that Impact has a new PERSPECTIVE book coming out?! Oh boy! I just love studying perspective, esp. when it pertains to comic art! ( I know it's wierd-but I really do!)
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-18-2008, 08:38 PM
Louisiana

Hails from United States

I've been wondering about that technique book... may have to check it out.

I just got a copy of Howe's book, and it's excellent! Insight into his creative process, a few WIPs throughout the book, info on media, and also some handy studio tips (always interested in those!). And the artwork is, of course, absolutely breathtaking.

I also picked up Drawing and Painting Fantasy Landscapes and Cityscapes by Rob Alexander, and I'm very impressed with it also. Wonderfully inspirational for someone like me who has trouble with backdrops, and it touches on the basics (which I always seem to ignore). Color, composition, perspective, using references, roughs, light, value, mood, and it has beautiful examples in a variety of media. Nice book.

And lastly, I wanted another dragon book. I have Peffer's, and I love it! Wonderfully inspirational (but what can I say, I can never have enough where dragons are concerned)! But I'm just not impressed with the other dragon art books out there, or at least the ones I've seen. So, I got the next best thing - Thunder Lizards by Steve Miller. I've been a dino freak since I was little, too, and this one is great for ALL ages. Most of the how-to-draw books take you from the basic geometric shapes to a finished dino. This one, however, also pushes the concept of comparative anatomy. While each dino is laid out by shapes, there are skeletal and muscular diagrams for the different groups or body types as well. There's a nice appendix in the back with 13 different skeletons for comparison. A select few of the dinos throughout the book show their skeletons from four different views - frontal, side, dorsal, and ventral (perfect for a dragon in aerial view). Different head, mouth, feet, and body shapes, and an endless array of adornments I can use as inspiration for new dragons! Net to mention Booth has quite a few pieces throughout the book (and that's worth the purchase of the book for me).
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2008, 03:00 PM
Editor

Hey everyone,

Wanted to let you know about a cool book (and I'm not just saying that because it's one of IMPACT's ). If you work in watercolors you should check out Dreamscapes by Stephanie Pui-Mun Law. It's all about creating faeries, mermaids and angels in watercolor. The book is beautiful. Just check out the author's website www.shadowscapes.com

It's thick too. 176 pages full of step-by-steps and fantastic art.

Check out the Impact partner forum as well. I'm doing a book giveaway contest in April for this one!

Best,

Scott
www.fwpublications.com
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-31-2008, 05:29 PM
Louisiana

Hails from United States

Yes! I've had my eye on this one! I flipped through it at the bookstore - wonderful, very fluid works.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
UK

Hails from Czech Republic

The Lord of the Rings Sketchbook by Alan Lee. I have always admired Alan Lee's illustrations and this book is full of his drawings. I find them quite incredible. It has also helped me a lot just trying to copy some of them - I learned more from that than from many "how to" books.

My website. My photos on Flickr. My blog.