WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Watercolor > The Learning Zone
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2007, 11:07 PM
Enthusiast

Pen and ink and wash

Where can I find tutorials on this technique? I find it fascinating. It seems like the pen and ink is done first and then the wash. I just got a set of rapidograph pens and know little about them. Is that ink permanent and unaffected by the wash? Thanks, Kay
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2007, 12:40 AM
Enthusiast
Washintgon (the state)

Hails from United States
Re: Pen and ink and wash

You can check out the Pen & Ink forum to see what they have. Claudia Nice has out a few books on the subject & I have dabbled with it a little bit. You can do the ink before the wash, after the wash,or some of both. The ink I use in my rapidographs is permanent & unaffected by the wash. It is always a good idea to test first.

Enjoy my contributions to RIL here http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...0&ppuser=61016
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2007, 03:44 AM
San Francisco Bay Area

Hails from United States

Is the ink in the pen (so it is a disposable pen)? Or is it Rapidograph brand, by Koh-i-nor? Some people say rapidograph and mean that style, not the actual brand.

Did you get the set that comes with Ultradraw ink? The ultradraw ink is very nice. It's waterproof and acid-free, so you can use it to your hearts content with watercolor. It's also a little thinner than Koh-i-nor Universal ink so it won't clog your pens. (in my experience, the Universal ink isn't all that "universal")

The order (paint or ink first) doesn't matter as far as the permanence goes. Pigments that are bigger particles will cover your ink lines a bit and make them look like they are "behind" the paint. Which they are, so you'd expect that. Some pigments won't do that.

Think of the cadmiums. They will cover your pen line a bit. (People call them "opaque" but technically, all pigments are opaque. shh, don't tell the watercolor painters. They don't believe this. I can email you the refractive indices if you want that demonstrate they are all too "thick" to be transparent. But I digress...)

Then think of, say, Ultramarine blue. It's particles are smaller and disperse better, so they don't cover up the line the way the cadmiums (and all earth pigments) will.

I don't have a lot of painting experience, but a good way to figure out what is "transparent" and what is "opaque" is to follow JJ's clear directions :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laudesan
Get a piece of watercolour paper and a black waterproof marker pen, the felt tip kind.

Draw a black line on the paper about a 1/4 inch wide and then paint a sample of each of your colours over the back line.

The colours that "sit" on top of the black line are opaque, and the colours you can see the black line through are transparent.

Look at the threads started by artyboon. She did a WIP on ink and wash as well as posting a nice comparison in the gallery of an ink+wash next to the same painting all in watercolor. There was also this one with a few ink+watercolor works of hers. There may be others, too.

I'm sure they'll be a nice start and if you don't find them helpful, well, at least you get to look at her delightful work!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2007, 05:29 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

I use Edding 1800 pens which have waterproof fadeproof pigmented ink an 0.1 mm size. I often do a pencil sketch, add watercolour then sharpen it up with an ink line.

Click on my signature picture for examples.

Doug
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2007, 05:58 AM
Immortalized
Northern Galilee Hills, Israel

Have a look at what I posted a time ago
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...83#post5568083
Also
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327365
And
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...35#post5243235
finally
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show...56#post5161256

Then practice and post your results even if they are just doodles, because this stuff is great for doodles!!!

Neeman

Last edited by Neeman : 05-01-2007 at 06:36 AM.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2007, 08:25 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you for all the wonderful advice and links. Wet Canvas has so much to offer aspiring artists. I keep telling my classmates about it. Some come and explore, others haven't yet. Their loss. Happy Tuesday everyone.
Kay
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2007, 11:25 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States

Kay --- One more idea that I learned about recently in a sketching workshop with Kath Macaulay, in Arizona ---> try the Pilot Razor Point pen, (the silvery one with the yellow cap, #SW-10PP), in black. It is not waterproof, and when you rub along the line with a wet brush, you get a nice wash effect. Here's an example:

Just a few lines, but it shows what that ubiquitous cheapo pen can do. Once you run along a line with water and "water it in" so to speak, it is more or less waterproof and you can come back in and finish the pic with regular watercolors. If you don't, as you can see, you get a bluish wash, which you can work into many colors. Takes a bit of experimentation, but it's fun.

Here's the pen:

Try it! Enjoy.

Jan
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-25-2007, 10:20 PM
Enthusiast
Washintgon (the state)

Hails from United States

very nice, jan. I like that effect!

Enjoy my contributions to RIL here http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...0&ppuser=61016
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2007, 09:57 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States

Thanks, Lorraine, but I have to give the credit to the workshop instructor Kath Macaulay, who introduced us to this magic pen. I admit I got carried away with the technique and (over)used it for the rest of the road trip. More examples here: http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t314/Jan7777/

If you carry one of those water brushes (http://www.dickblick.com/zz051/33/) along with the Pilot Razor Point, you're set to go anywhere and sketch (with added ink wash) anything.

My advice: try it! You can pratically find that pen in the grocery store, it's so common. Get the sparkle silver one with the yellow cap. (The other colors don't work as well as the black.)

Jan
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Veteran Member
Thornhill, ON

Hails from Canada

Has anyone tried the Pilot G2 Gel Pens for drawing? I love them for writing and they do seem to have a nice feel--haven't tried them yet on w/c paper...

“ I have never failed; I have, however, found ten thousand ways that don’t work”. -- Unknown
See my LinkedIn profile or follow me on Twitter: @TheWizardGuy
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2007, 04:07 AM
Administrator
ORMSKIRK, Lancashire

Hails from United Kingdom

Yes, I love gel pens, they flow so easily. Unfortunately the ones I tried are not waterproof, but for quick sketches I like them.

Doug
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2007, 06:28 AM
Immortalized
Northern Galilee Hills, Israel

G2 are archival, and I think water proof
Lawrence could you please try them out and report to us...

Neeman
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2007, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member
Thornhill, ON

Hails from Canada

Neeman:

I'll put it on to the "to do" list (which is getting longer and longer lately ). However, there's a small little sketch I have in mind....

“ I have never failed; I have, however, found ten thousand ways that don’t work”. -- Unknown
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2007, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Thornhill, ON

Hails from Canada

Well, I ended up making something bigger than "a little sketch". It's in the June 2007 Invitation to Paint

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-05-2007, 11:47 AM
A WC! Legend
Wigan Lancashire England

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio-1-F

Just a few lines, but it shows what that ubiquitous cheapo pen can do. Once you run along a line with water and "water it in" so to speak, it is more or less waterproof and you can come back in and finish the pic with regular watercolors. If you don't, as you can see, you get a bluish wash, which you can work into many colors. Takes a bit of experimentation, but it's fun.

Try it! Enjoy.

Jan

Jan - I used a pen that I didn't realise wasn't waterproof until I put the water on it - mind you the effect wasn't that bad after I had mopped a lot of it up - apart from the tower.....a happy accident I think.

Pat