WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Plein Air
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2007, 04:28 PM

Soltek Easel

Has anyone purchased a Soltek easel fairly recently? I've noticed in some prior posts that they had some issues with faulty parts. I've contacted the company and they've assured me that the quality has improved and the problems have been addressed. I recently saw Jim Wilcox (the designer) demonstrate the Soltek and I was impressed on the ease of setup compared to the French Easel. The Soltek also had more of a capacity to handle larger panels than most pochades. I'd be interested in getting one and paying the steep price if they have solved the prior issues. Thanks.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2007, 05:27 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada
Re: Soltek Easel

I'm also considering getting one.

I read that it comes with a "clip" for carrying wet canvases. Does it attach the wet canvas to the easel, or is like a "handle" that you attach to the canvas and carry separately from the easel?
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2007, 05:42 PM

I don't know the answer to your question, James. When Wilcox demoed the easel he had a separate canvas carrier that he used. I would suggest sending an email to the company at info@wilcoxgallery.com and ask them directly. (Let me know what they say.)
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2007, 08:03 PM
A WC! Legend
Mahone Bay, NS

Hails from Canada

how many old ones are sitting around .. how do you know you are getting one of the new improved ones? That would be my question.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2007, 08:05 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

That also crossed my mind.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2007, 10:10 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

We've bought two (Soltek Pro - new version) in the last six months and three other artists bought after seeing ours in the field. This new version is markedly stronger.

Here's a pic of Wes knee-deep in snow with his:

http://www.pleinairartistscolorado.com/Wes.htm

Last edited by NHyde : 04-25-2007 at 10:13 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2007, 10:16 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

I read that it comes with a "clip" for carrying wet canvases. Does it attach the wet canvas to the easel, or is like a "handle" that you attach to the canvas and carry separately from the easel?
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2007, 10:19 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

We've got the clip, but never used it. It's a separate little clip thingy that attaches to the easel (I think, I haven't used it yet...sorry, not much help there). We also have the backpacks so the clip thing would be ineffectual then. We both have Raymar panel carriers and that works perfectly.

We're going on a painting trip in May to Taos, NM and I'm using stretched canvas this time (instead of panels). So I'll bring my clip, try it out, and let you know how it works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James (or Jimmy Jim)

Last edited by NHyde : 04-25-2007 at 10:23 PM.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2007, 10:27 PM

What is the difference between the Pro and regular model? I thought it was only the length of the legs because they recommend it for someone over 5'8", but is it also stronger? I must say it looks pretty good in the snow. Also, can you carry everything you need in it?
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2007, 10:33 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

The Pro model is much beefier (and legs extend and retract at a greater degree and independently for those hill-side paintings )

In October, I took the Pro model to France and set-up next to a person with an older version and the differences were extremely apparent. The legs on mine were much thicker, wider foot-pad (yet thin and light in weight). One day, on the water bridge at Briare, a huge gust of wind blew over many easels, including the older Soltek (most had umbrellas)...I was oblivious until I heard loud swearing from several artists. Mine stood its ground and I continued on with one of many bad paintings that day.

I'm Oompa Loompa-sized (5'1") and I adjust the easel perfect for my height...and a friend of ours is 6' 5" is buying one because it's the only field easel he can get to a comfortable level for him.

The easel itself holds lots of paint tubes (I've crammed in over the recommended 25 - 26) and brushes. If you have the backpack, it holds the easel and papertowel rolls, turp container, water bottle, our Raymar panel carrier, snacks, etc.

I like the bigger palette. I smear a lot of paint around and the palette can hold it.

I'll try to find my pic of the Soltek in use in the studio in France....hang on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpy
What is the difference between the Pro and regular model? I thought it was only the length of the legs because they recommend it for someone over 5'8", but is it also stronger? I must say it looks pretty good in the snow. Also, can you carry everything you need in it?

Last edited by NHyde : 04-25-2007 at 10:41 PM.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2007, 10:44 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Canada

So, the wet canvases are carried separately?
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2007, 11:04 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Oh heck, I can only find a studio shot with the older Soltek...although it is a pic of Jeff Legg painting a still life I set up...pretty cool.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-25-2007, 11:06 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

A month from now, I can tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by James (or Jimmy Jim)
So, the wet canvases are carried separately?
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2007, 12:51 AM
Enthusiast
The O.C., SoCal

Hails from United States

You can find a lot of SolTek discussion on WC, including my own comments from last Fall '06, and earlier this New Yr. I got a real deal on a "Pro" with backpack included, though the price was still $$ high, it was too hard to resist and I'm very pleased.
Yes, the "clip" does snap right on the center holder post and moves up/dn to accomodate different size boards/canvas. Matter of fact, I've got 2 clips and believe one could carry two small size boards at a time, however, NOT in the backpack. It is easy to carry the easel hung from the shoulder with the backpack on too.
The easel is a piece of art on it's own; design, materials and assembly are first-rate. It is amazingly efficent, holds a lot of stuff, the palette is huge and you can place on nearly any terrain at variable height. You discover more about it in time ... EZ to clip on a small bungy-cord additionally to the carry-strap holes which makes a great full-size paper towel holder (still fits in the backpack!). The legs take a little experience, however, this easel will not blow over very easily!
The BackPack is efficient too, holds nearly everything, wearing a pair of hiking boots you can access anywhere to your own abilities without using a cart. More imptly, the SolTek can be a frustration reliever, allowing for a positive, very quick set-up ... No cussing about the challenges of a typical FE! Take-down is just as quick, it leaves a smile on your face.
boomerbeach in SoCal
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2007, 12:37 PM
A WC! Legend
New York's Hudson Valley

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerbeach
You discover more about it in time ... EZ to clip on a small bungy-cord additionally to the carry-strap holes which makes a great full-size paper towel holder

What a fabulous idea!

I also got the new version of the "Pro" even though I'm only 5'5". I like having my palette and painting up high. It stops me from getting a backache when I'm standing for hours on end. I extend it all the way up. The regular version would definitely have been too short for me. I also figured that if I was on sloping ground with the easel slightly below me, it would still be high enough to work.

Jimmy, I haven't tried the clip yet. The way the easel is designed, supposedly you can carry two different panel sizes with the one clip by readjusting the two parts that hold the canvas while painting, to put them at different levels.

I still find the best panel holder is the one that Wayne designed from two inexpensive frames. I've made them in a bunch of sizes, and a 16x20 version can hold one 16x20, one 12x16, and one 8x16! Weighs next to nothing. I have an idea to make one out of foamcore and duct tape too. 'Going to do that soon.

Nicole, hope you have a great trip!

Jamie