WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
La Paz, Baja California Sur

Hails from Mexico
Best Pens for Stippling... Scientific Illustrations

I am doing a bit of scientific illustration and it requires very precise stippling. I have Staedtler pens, .05 and .1 but I do not like the way they stipple. They seem to have hooked or bent ends. I also have Microns, 05 AND 02. They produce larger dots. I am working on a scale of 1:1 and many of the objects I am drawing are quite small. Advise on what pens to use for stippling would be appreciated. Thanks

http://paintingwithpencil.blogspot.com
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2007, 05:28 PM
Vancouver, BC

Hails from Canada
Re: Best Pens for Stippling... Scientific Illustrations

For the last year, I was using Koh-I-Noor rapidograph pens. I love to work in very small details and I was able to achieve that with sizes down to 0.13 and 0.18. Unfortunately, I ended up getting them clogged or broken too often. I know that this was probably do to my own fault, but it was still frustrating.

Just last week, I bought a set of Copic Multiliner SP pens. I was impressed at how small the nibs were, down to 0.03. With them, I can draw very fine lines without worrying about clogging problems.

I have tried both Staedtler and Microns, but in my opinion, for small details, Copic Multiliner SP beats them all.

Hope this helps.

My Gallery
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2007, 05:28 PM
Modesto, CA, USA

Hails from United States

You know, even though I can't stand them that much, nothing beats a rapidograph for stippling. It gives you consistent sized dots at very small sizes (I would recommend a 3x0 for scientific illustration). They aren't cheap, but if you take care of them you wont have to buy another pen.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-19-2007, 07:29 PM
Ottawa, Canada

Hails from Canada

I like the Micron 005 size, you can get a nice fine stipple out of those without much trouble, if you don't want to spring for a rapidograph set.

-- Kels
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2007, 02:49 AM
WC! Guide
Eastern Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

I use nothing but a .3 (00) Koh-i-Noor rapidograph and I work very detailed. The problem of clogging occurs more with the smaller sizes. I leave my "00" sit for weeks at a time and I have no problems. A lot of folks seem to have clogging problems and after talking to them, I've come to the conclusion that I don't have the same clogging issues because I don't store the pen upright in a cup. I lay it flat on my table. Also I never lay it down without first putting the cap on, even if it's only for a few minute break.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2007, 09:53 AM
A WC! Legend
Atlanta

Hails from United States

I would also recommend the Multiliner SPs. They're much cheaper to replace if they get clogged, too.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2007, 12:42 PM
Washington State

Hails from United States

I like the rapidograph or a rotring also, for detail they can't be beat. I use a 6x0. Unfortunately, they clog or break and the tips cost almost as much as a new pen! I recently tried the Copic Multiliner ("new sketch with copic multiline pens" in this forum) and while not quite as precise as the rotring, they are much cheaper to replace!

And Dave, I lay mine flat and always cap them even if I'm just going to get a cup of tea, but they still clog and/or break that darned little fine wire! I just can't afford to keep them in new tips!

smoki
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2007, 01:15 PM
Enthusiast
Fort Mill SC

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyAppy
I like the rapidograph or a rotring also, for detail they can't be beat. I use a 6x0. Unfortunately, they clog or break and the tips cost almost as much as a new pen! I just can't afford to keep them in new tips!

smoki

Amen Smoki!!

yeah, i have done years of technical drawing (drafting) and Rapidographs were really the only way to go in my book, but yeah, beware of the 6x0, they are heart breaking little twirps.
Bob
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2007, 02:56 PM
WC! Guide
Eastern Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyAppy
And Dave, I lay mine flat and always cap them even if I'm just going to get a cup of tea, but they still clog and/or break that darned little fine wire!
That's why I only go as small as a "00"! I don't use those teeny weeny points; I find that I can get smaller or larger dots with my 00 depending on how much pressure I apply. A light touch makes a mighty small dot! Any smaller and I'd think I was erasing!