WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2007, 10:11 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Barranquitas, Puerto Rico

Hails from Puerto Rico
Calm Sea

This one took me 5 days painting a few hours every night. 16 x 20. Critiques help me a lot! Thanx for looking.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2007, 11:34 PM

Re: Calm Sea

I like the tree and rocks on the shoreline... Nice sloop too. You are progressing. Thanks for sharing.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-17-2007, 11:37 PM
Midwest

the sky is absolutely beautiful!!! I wish perhaps the mountain was a little lighter in color to convey more distance.

good work!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2007, 12:06 AM
Auckland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

beautiful sky Tony
"One of life's most fulfilling moments occurs ... when the familiar is suddenly transformed into the dazzling aura of the profoundly new.... the only difference is our perspective, ... to see patterns where only shadows appeared a moment ago" Edward B. Lindaman
-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ruthmchristie/
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2007, 02:18 AM
A Local Legend

Nice perspective work Tony. I like the juxtaposition of the vessel and the tree on shore.They work well together!

If your painting makes YOU happy,it's enough 🎨
If another person likes it enough to want to own it...that is a bonus.🙃
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2007, 02:28 AM
Germany

Hails from Germany

Hi Tony. Very nice work. I like the foreground a lot. Agree that perhaps the mountains could be a little softer and lighter . The sky is super. A few ripples of light in the water and it would be perfect. Well done.

My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2007, 07:20 AM
A Local Legend
I currently live in Jacksonville Florida

Hails from United States

I agree with all the above, that sky is fantastic. I think the tree could use more foliage, it looks like its had a bowl cut I like the color of the distant island but its a bit bright. Nice work on the rigging, even at this small size its apparent.. how did you achieve such fine lines??
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2007, 08:01 AM
A Local Legend
Georgia

Hails from United States

Tony,
You did a great job on the sky in this one!
Gail

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too. Voltaire
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2007, 08:08 AM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

I aggree with the above. You are doing great, but the background hills are lighter then before, but you need to have them grayer. And a little movement in the water. Jan
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2007, 09:04 AM

Hi Tony,

The sky is great. I think the mountains do need to be a bit more muted in colour. A greyish/purply colour would help push them back. Apart from that it is a lovely painting - well done.

Briege
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2007, 10:21 AM
A Local Legend
NE Oklahoma

Hails from United States

An enjoyable painting. I like that the boat is at rest with the sails furled. May I suggest that the pole on the boat be a bit stronger in color and also, more shadow in the water, with a few water ripples to delineate between the boat and the water reflection.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2007, 10:29 AM
A Local Legend
Texas

Hails from United States

Great sky, I cannot seem to do clouds

I think you have gotten some great advice so I will just say, keep it up.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2007, 10:52 AM
A Local Legend
NE Oklahoma

Hails from United States

How did you do those soft clouds? They almost look airbrushed...are they? Nice work, thanks for sharing.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2007, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjazz
This one took me 5 days painting a few hours every night. 16 x 20. Critiques help me a lot! Thanx for looking.
Very nice.Love the tree and sky
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2007, 10:43 PM
Barranquitas, Puerto Rico

Hails from Puerto Rico

Keven: Thanx for your comments, very much appreciated
Dr. Ibear: The sky is my favorite so far, Thanx for the comments, I actually TRIED to make those mountains lighter, my mountains here are always GREEN with so much vegetation, I guess it's ingrained in me but, I do want more depth and will do so in future paintings.

RMC: Thanx so much for your comments, it really means a lot to me!

Tony in Japan: Thanx for looking and sharings your thoughts, you are an awesome painter man! I look forward to see you post Mt. Fuji, soon!

Chammi Kaiser: Ripples, wow, I forgot about those! Thanx for your comments I really appreciate your input and advice.

DreamZ: Thanx for the comments, I always appreciate your personal feedback on my art and apply it to future paintings. The rigging was done with my trusty # 2 lead pencil with a ruler, then painted over with watered down color done real slow! Only way I could do that! Now I know how to paint the strings on my next cuatro paintings. Thanx for looking man!

Swampborn: Thanx so much for your time to view this. Wow, I'm flustered at all this attention, LOL. Thanx..............

Jan: Thanx, your critiques on this is very beneficial to me as a painter. I will definetly try harder on my backgrounds, I have to be more patient and more concentrated on this important subject. Gracias..........

Briege: Thank you very much for your comments, there's a pattern here I'm delighted to see that helps me paint better from all you artists! Thanx.

idcrisis55: First of all just let me say that if you enjoyed this paintings I feel great, especially coming from a WC guide! Your suggestions are perfect! I really wanted to paint this sloop a LOT bigger and show more detail, then I got timid and painted it small, need some more courage. Muchas Gracias...

Txaggiedarlin: Thanx for looking, you CAN do clouds if you want to. They are easy with the right techniques....

C Line: Now for the good stuff! Thanx for looking. Not airbrushed! Bob Ross technique I use plus some other stuff! First I apply a base coat of white real WET, for this painting I used some Papyrus brushes I made that grow by the river. I cut them green and let them turn dry and brown and cut the bristles to my desired shapes. Used cerulean blue with these brsuhes in spurts across the canvas as I felt they should go, then got a brush pool players use to clean the table. It's a long 5 inch skinny brush and dry brushed it downward left leaning strokes. Then with a fan brush pushed in lightly the dark and other tones. Went back with a 2 inch DRY brush VERY softly till I got what I wanted then cleaned the brush and did circular motion, clean and circular, dry, over and over till it was done. Viola! Nice skies...............Hope this helps someone with clouds.........

Nanfrieda: I see you have 1 post. Welcome, you are going to love this forum as much as I do. Thanx for your comments Gracias.....

Last edited by tonyjazz : 04-18-2007 at 10:47 PM.