WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2007, 08:08 PM
A Local Legend
Upper Michigan

Hails from United States
What subjects hold no interest to you?

Recently we talked about what we like to paint. What don't you like to paint?

I appreciate flowers, and paintings people do of them, but have no desire to paint them. Same goes for Still Life. I also don't have a great interest in painting animals, although I plan to do a series of my 3 pets: 2 cats and a dog.

A side question: do you feel like you "should" paint things you're not interested in? For what reason?

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2007, 08:32 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States
Re: What subjects hold no interest to you?

I have been, told by Jerry Yarnell, it is good for an artist to paint something they are not interested in because it makes them a more rounded artist. And everyone learns for each painting they do. If you paint only what you like you get in a rut. I like to paint landscapes. I don't like to paint people, I like to paint animals but I can't so I try every once in a while. I didn't like still lifes but have found I do after doing a few. I want to paint street scenes, but have not tried very many. Jan
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2007, 08:33 PM
Enthusiast

Still life. never have, never will.

And people portraits are beyond my ability.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2007, 08:34 PM
Enthusiast

Urban scenery too is taboo.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2007, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member
Walnut Creek, California

still life and animals. I do have to do more of both, I'm taking a class that covers still life and I sure learned a lot doing them. I'll never hang them up, but they are very good to learn about composition, values, shadows, all that. And - funny enough - after a while they are fun to paint. I'm thinking about doing a couple based on recipes of food I love, has the benefit that I can then cook and eat the things I set up

I love animals (live and on my plate) but have little interest in painting them. As part of a scene yes, but not as subject. I rather practice nudes
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Enthusiast
leicestershire

Hails from England

I have never enjoyed portraiture...which is strange because it's something i am proficient at. It's also where most of the bread and butter money is to be made as an artist.
I also refuse to paint mundane, arbitrary landscapes, or anything else which will not give me the freedom to express some form of passion. I guess that rules out super-realism too.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2007, 09:11 PM
Central Ohio

Hails from United States

Pet portraits.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2007, 09:23 PM
WC! Guide
the state of confusion, Florida...

Hails from United States

I always try to challenge myself and paint things I am not fond of and now and again in a color I am not fond of. I think it helps me overcome some of my fears, strengthens me as a painter and teaches me that I may not dislike things as much as I first think.
"The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2007, 10:07 PM
N.E. Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

People, but I plan to force myself to practice more even though I will have to work on getting in the right mood to do so. Otherwise, I like to paint just about everything else.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2007, 10:22 PM
Enthusiast
Leeds, England

Hails from United Kingdom

I like looking at still life and abstract paintings, yet I don't enjoy painting them. With still life, I can never make an interesting composition.

As for abstract painting I've tried it plenty of times. I've no idea in my mind of what I should do and I struggle to paint shapes and colours on the canvas. When I've finished I don't like what I've done because it doesn't satisfy me. So with a sigh of relief I've recently decided not to try any more abstract painting.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Enthusiast
Edmonton, Alberta

Hails from Canada

I like paintings that tell or at least imply a story, narrative if you prefer. The subject can be almost anything. What doesn't energize me are portraits (people or pets) and still life that are not in some sort of context. I enjoy seeing what others have done of this sort, but it doesn't get my creative juices flowing. That said, I do some studies and assorted sketches of these kinds of things to develop skills.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2007, 11:26 PM
Horses make me happy

Hails from Australia

Portraits don't thrill me. But I have been considering a series of portraits, so I guess they don't thrill me as little as I thought. I am on the fence with it, so it may be a while until I do any.
My websites: Discoveries With Colour Adventures in Photography
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2007, 11:50 PM
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

I really dislike landscapes. They're so boring.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2007, 02:31 AM
WC! Guide
Westbroek, The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

I like organic forms. So I usually don't do buildings (unless ruins), Also I'm not fond of still lifes (unless very unconventional still lifes).
Another thing I will never ever paint is magical realism. I totally dislike that.
On the other hand: 10 years ago I said that I would never do a painting using all primary colours (or two of three of them) together. And now look what I paint!!

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2007, 05:16 AM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Hails from United Kingdom

I have painted almost everything. Portraits, figures, still lives, abstracts, landscapes, seascapes, buildings and castles, flowers. I kinda like everything but my passion is of course for my seascapes.

Howard has a good point about colours - that's probably more of my avoidance practice. Warm colours don't click with me much. So while I use magenta, umbers and siennas they are as undercolours or highlights for my overall blue, green, grey, lavender paintings. Every once in a while I do a 'warm' painting to throw into the mix but generally it's a battle. Saying that though I *never* used green until a couple years ago. I put it down to my obsessive side, I tend to focus on a small set of similar colours for a while (I only did purple paintings for about 3 years!). Now I can't seem to not use green! But it took finding Golden's sap green to get into it. Perhaps one day I'll have a 'warm' colour period. I doubt it, but never say never.

Tina.