WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > All Media Art Events > AMAE Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2007, 03:24 PM
Charlie's Mum's Avatar
Charlie's Mum Charlie's Mum is offline
Moderator
North East England.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 51,969
 
Hails from England
Exclamation WDE Updated Guidelines - for Newbies especially.

The spirit of the Weekend Drawing Event

- (or Weekly Drawing Event or ‘Whenever’ Drawing Event' or ‘Weeders’ Drawing Event) or just a Creative/Artistic Happening

The Invitation Thread will tell you When this is happening and should have an arrow icon. (#2, Illus. 1 below)

The Images Thread, posted on the specified day will have a light bulb icon . (#3, Illus.1)

You will find these two threads on the main page, fastened with a thumbtack so they're stuck!

Illustration 1.



When your work is ready to show,you need to open your OWN New Thread (top left, main forum page). (#1 in illustration above).

Here’s what your New thread may look like with its first post:

illustration 2.



Start with WDE, DATE, TITLE +
MI = Multiple Images (if you intend to do more than one reference).
WIP = Work in Progress

To Upload Image ..... if you’d like it in the text, use the Uploader in the Quick Links menu, (#4) or use the picture icon from the icons at the top of the posting box. (#3) (Second illustration)

If you want the image at the bottom of the post, use the Manage Attachments button, in the Additional Options box below your post box.

**Please read the links for Image compression and Uploading Images ** (Most of our 'instruction' threads may be found in our sub-forum - The Hall of Fame.)

Image compression and size

Uploading Images to WC!
- an easy to follow tutorial for using the Uploader feature - WC has increased the permitted size of images to 800p max. in either dimension and 200k total file size.

In the spirit of the WDEs (and to keep threads manageable) please: .....

* Try to comment on others’ work too, but....

* Refrain from C&C unless the poster specifically asks for such,

* Keep all your ‘thank you' notes to single posts where possible,

* If using the ‘Quote’ button, edit out the image to quote only text.

* Try to avoid multiple, consecutively-timed posts - they lengthen the thread and make timing expensive for those on Dial-Up.

* Please keep your entries to a single thread for each WDE during the weekend. You may open a new thread for additional images from the following TUESDAY.

But - NB - The WDE is very popular and can generate 80+ threads over a weekend - it may not be possible for you to comment on all the entries - please don't feel guilty if you do not manage to visit them all!

Thank you for reading this - now go create
__________________
Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**

Last edited by Charlie's Mum : 10-27-2013 at 08:08 AM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-28-2008, 10:55 PM
Marilyn Speck Ballard's Avatar
Marilyn Speck Ballard Marilyn Speck Ballard is offline
Veteran Member
Wentzville, Mo.
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 781
 
Hails from United States
Re: WDE Updated Guidelines - for Newbies especially.

Maureen, I guess I'm just dense, but I can't get anything to work right.
The image up-loader won't allow my image at the suggested size of 600x500 or 500x600 ?? when I keep down sizing to qualify, the image is so out of focus, nobody would be able to recognize any shapes. The technical instructions for resizing are just too complicated for me! I just need something that will show me how many K's the image is, so I can keep it under 100. I'm using HP for most. Picasa 2 is beginner friendly, but can't get it to connect to the browser for uploading.

When I try to use the Gallery manager, the pages are all blank. I can't create any new collections. Maybe they aren't ready yet? I started one before you closed down, and the title appeared, but wouldn't show the image that was reported as being successfully uploaded. I'll try another day.

Thanks for your help. (I just want to paint) ha.

Marilyn
__________________
Design your own Christmas Card
http://www.artmsb.com
http://www.art-agent.com/artist_info.php?userid=35425

If God simply handed us everything we want, He'd be taking from us our greatest prize – the job of accomplishment. (Frank A. Clark) lc
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2008, 11:59 AM
mariese3's Avatar
mariese3 mariese3 is offline
Senior Member
Davison, MI
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 380
 
Hails from United States
Re: WDE Updated Guidelines - for Newbies especially.

Well this is the first weekend event for me. Im going to try it! My question is where will the link to the gallery be. For both the example pics and the finished painting?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2008, 12:40 PM
eyepaint's Avatar
eyepaint eyepaint is offline
Moderator
Beautiful BC
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 31,921
 
Hails from Canada
Re: WDE Updated Guidelines - for Newbies especially.

Hi Marise3,

The reference images will be in a separate thread in the forum (http://wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=133) with a thread title something like "July 18 IMAGES HERE"

Then each person starts his/her own thread to post their paintings/drawings/artwork based on one or more of the ref images.

Sometimes the WDE volunteer host has the time and the software to create a gallery of all the finished works but that doesn't happen every week.

Hope that helps. Roger is posting his images in around 8 hours for this weekend. He takes beautiful photos

Cheers,
__________________
-- EP My WDE Sketches: 2017,
2016
, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2008, 12:46 PM
eyepaint's Avatar
eyepaint eyepaint is offline
Moderator
Beautiful BC
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 31,921
 
Hails from Canada
Re: WDE Updated Guidelines - for Newbies especially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Speck Ballard
Maureen, I guess I'm just dense, but I can't get anything to work right.
The image up-loader won't allow my image at the suggested size of 600x500 or 500x600 ?? when I keep down sizing to qualify, the image is so out of focus, nobody would be able to recognize any shapes. The technical instructions for resizing are just too complicated for me! I just need something that will show me how many K's the image is, so I can keep it under 100. I'm using HP for most. Picasa 2 is beginner friendly, but can't get it to connect to the browser for uploading.

When I try to use the Gallery manager, the pages are all blank. I can't create any new collections. Maybe they aren't ready yet? I started one before you closed down, and the title appeared, but wouldn't show the image that was reported as being successfully uploaded. I'll try another day.

Thanks for your help. (I just want to paint) ha.

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,

I totally understand your frustrations with the image uploader. It has been acting finicky recently. The technical people are working on it, and I think it involves a few changes to the software behind the scenes - just enough so previous instructions might not be totally applicable. It's not likely to be completely settled now (sometimes within a given day it works/doesn't work/works/doesn't work for me.)

I use Picasa2. Here's what I do:

- Select the picture, click "Export" and specify the size.
- Then in the new folder location I can see the file size (100K or similar).
- Then I try to use the image uploader system on WetCanvas with my fingers crossed

Hope that helps.

Cheers!
__________________
-- EP My WDE Sketches: 2017,
2016
, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2008, 03:36 PM
Marilyn Speck Ballard's Avatar
Marilyn Speck Ballard Marilyn Speck Ballard is offline
Veteran Member
Wentzville, Mo.
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 781
 
Hails from United States
Re: WDE Updated Guidelines - for Newbies especially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyepaint
Hi Marilyn,

I totally understand your frustrations with the image uploader. It has been acting finicky recently. The technical people are working on it, and I think it involves a few changes to the software behind the scenes - just enough so previous instructions might not be totally applicable. It's not likely to be completely settled now (sometimes within a given day it works/doesn't work/works/doesn't work for me.)

I use Picasa2. Here's what I do:

- Select the picture, click "Export" and specify the size.
- Then in the new folder location I can see the file size (100K or similar).
- Then I try to use the image uploader system on WetCanvas with my fingers crossed

Hope that helps.

Cheers!



Yes, I stumbled onto Picasa2 and that gives me exactly what I was looking and looking for, without all the technical stuff that is way too complicated for my right-brain sidedness. I had missed the step "export" before.

I keep trying to get a page to appear for the Art-Agent program so I can add a new category, but no luck yet.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Marilyn
__________________
Design your own Christmas Card
http://www.artmsb.com
http://www.art-agent.com/artist_info.php?userid=35425

If God simply handed us everything we want, He'd be taking from us our greatest prize – the job of accomplishment. (Frank A. Clark) lc

Last edited by Marilyn Speck Ballard : 07-17-2008 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Missed something.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-20-2009, 05:29 AM
DarrenBarrow DarrenBarrow is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1
 
Re: WDE Updated Guidelines - for Newbies especially.

Hi

wonderful info guys....The list of apps looks great....


thanks for ur useful info...

its rocking..

Last edited by sundiver : 07-16-2009 at 11:54 PM.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2009, 11:56 PM
sundiver's Avatar
sundiver sundiver is offline
Moderator
East Coast Canada
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 19,996
 
Hails from Canada
Re: WDE Updated Guidelines - for Newbies especially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Speck Ballard
Yes, I stumbled onto Picasa2 and that gives me exactly what I was looking and looking for, without all the technical stuff that is way too complicated for my right-brain sidedness. I had missed the step "export" before.

I keep trying to get a page to appear for the Art-Agent program so I can add a new category, but no luck yet.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Marilyn


Marilyn, Art-Agent doesn't work properly, hasn't for months, and is on the list of things for the tech people to fix.
__________________
Wendy


my virtual gallery
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2009, 12:32 AM
Marilyn Speck Ballard's Avatar
Marilyn Speck Ballard Marilyn Speck Ballard is offline
Veteran Member
Wentzville, Mo.
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 781
 
Hails from United States
Re: WDE Updated Guidelines - for Newbies especially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sundiver
Marilyn, Art-Agent doesn't work properly, hasn't for months, and is on the list of things for the tech people to fix.

Thanks, Wendy, this was an old request but I guess it's still pertinent.

Marilyn
__________________
Design your own Christmas Card
http://www.artmsb.com
http://www.art-agent.com/artist_info.php?userid=35425

If God simply handed us everything we want, He'd be taking from us our greatest prize – the job of accomplishment. (Frank A. Clark) lc
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-08-2009, 02:39 PM
evanthia's Avatar
evanthia evanthia is offline
New Member
Montreal,Quebec, Canada
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 30
 
Hails from Canada
Re: WDE Updated Guidelines - for Newbies especially.

Hi Marilyn,
Great big thanks for size image changes on Picasa...it works .After hours of frustation..I will try to down load images.
Thanks
Evanthia-Ulla
__________________
To an engineer,good enough means perfect.With an artist,there is no such thing as perfect
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Bis007 Bis007 is offline
Veteran Member
brr cold!??
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 739
 
Wde

Greetings everyone!

This forum/thread looks like a nice place to get motivated back again.

What are the requirements? and am I qualify to join your group/thread?

Many thanks.

ddb
__________________
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony. Mahatma Gandhi.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2010, 04:04 PM
laura-lulu laura-lulu is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 8
 
Re: WDE Updated Guidelines - for Newbies especially.

Is it possible to access the reference photos after the event? I missed the 12/3 WDE but would like to use the bluejay photo; I saw a beautiful painting made from it ... Thanks.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2010, 09:23 PM
eyepaint's Avatar
eyepaint eyepaint is offline
Moderator
Beautiful BC
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 31,921
 
Hails from Canada
Re: Wde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bis007
Greetings everyone!

This forum/thread looks like a nice place to get motivated back again.

What are the requirements? and am I qualify to join your group/thread?

Many thanks.

ddb
Sorry to see this so late. Please join us!!
__________________
-- EP My WDE Sketches: 2017,
2016
, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-09-2010, 09:27 PM
eyepaint's Avatar
eyepaint eyepaint is offline
Moderator
Beautiful BC
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 31,921
 
Hails from Canada
Re: WDE Updated Guidelines - for Newbies especially.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laura-lulu
Is it possible to access the reference photos after the event? I missed the 12/3 WDE but would like to use the bluejay photo; I saw a beautiful painting made from it ... Thanks.
Hi,

Sure you can always search the forum for threads titled "Images Here" to find old hosting threads.

The Dec. 3 WDE images thread is here:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=799431

And when you finish the work, please post it in the catch up thread here:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=797441

Maybe also post a note in the chat thread the week that you do it so we can be sure to come check out out. A chat thread usually has the title of "Weeders Weekly - date". This is the current chat thread -
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=803571
__________________
-- EP My WDE Sketches: 2017,
2016
, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010
Moderator for: Artwork From Life (Scavenger Hunts) All Media Art Events (WDE) Art Journals (Sketchbooks)
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-01-2012, 01:10 PM
journeysketcher journeysketcher is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 73
 
Re: WDE Updated Guidelines - for Newbies especially.

I'd like to do my first wde. I'm stuck at the time to get pictures. I'm in Rochester, NY and it says images will be available at 4am? I have gone over the 'newbie' guidelines and get most of it - except the time. please help. thanks.
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:10 AM.


© 2014 F+W All rights reserved.