WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-04-2007, 10:35 PM
Enthusiast
Outside of Darwin Northern Territory

Hails from Australia
Help with framing velour

Hello everyone,
I finally took my first velour painting to the framer I told him not to bump it on the back and he was very careful but says it is unframable. Everytime he lays it in the frame pastel falls off. I have read some other posts and it seems some people don't have any trouble and some like me probably will not use this paper again. I don't know if the pastels I used were the problem (Art Spectrum & Myungo) but any help would be appreciated, Will fixative help or will I just have to redo the painting?
The worst thing is it is a commission otherwise I wouldn't worry.
Thanks,
Deanna.

"You can own the Earth and still, all you own is earth untill, you can paint with all the colours of the wind." Disney's Pocohontas.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2007, 06:11 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal
Re: Help with framing velour

Hi Deanna,

I got several works on velour (Hanehmuhle) and done either with harder pastels like Polychromos, done with softer ones and even with Sennelier and Schmincke.
I have even sent one of them abroad (framed) and it got there fine. And I used Schmincke and Sennelier on it.
I will say though that I didn't apply a zillion of layers, but at least 3.
And I usually apply a bit of fixative. But only to preven dislodgement of superficial particles, not really to fix it.
I've read here about people saying that their pastel falls off and others saying it works fine.
My main conclusion would be the kind of paper being used and if they're using too many layers according to the kind of paper.
On my site the Radiating Ripples, the Bowl of red currants, the Harley and the Cat are all done on velour. And they have been moved quite a bit.

Kind regards,

José

Read about it on my Blog

I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2007, 09:40 PM
East Coast Canada

Hails from Canada

I have read threads in here over the years saying similar things about pastel coming off velour.
I use oil pastels which sticks to velour and suede, and sometimes put soft pastel over that, and it sticks to the o.p.. So maybe if you use some fixative, pastel over that would adhere better?

my virtual gallery
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-05-2007, 10:11 PM
I moved from North Dakota to Minnesota last summer and love both states

Hails from United States

I have had problems with the pigment coming off if I used more than 3 layers.
I was photographing my favorite all-time painting of 2 wolves and the wind knocked it off the easel and o-my-gosh, I lost half my painting. Had to add the color back in. It was one I was not able to sell even tho I had offers. So, I just kept it for myself
I wonder if one could use fixative on these???

cheers
Cathi
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2007, 03:30 AM
Enthusiast
Grenaa

Hails from Denmark

I use a small layer of fixative on my pastel paintings on velour. Just to hold the color where it has to be. I don't use just any fixative but senneliers fixatif for soft pastels. And only to small layers applyed with a 5 min interval.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2007, 09:47 AM

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi Dea,

I will only use Feber Castell pastels on my velour. They really stick well to the velour and I have never had any problems with framing.

I have had paintings fall off the easel and when I have picked them up not a speck of pastel has fallen off. If I had used my rembrants that would have been a different story
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2007, 02:26 PM
A Local Legend
Sabina, Oh

Hails from United States

I use all kinds of pastel brands on my velour, but I do start with the harder ones. I never have framing problems. But, and this could be a big but! I do my own framing and maybe am just a bit more cautious as a result.

Katherine Taylor-Green Pastel Artist
http://www.certaintylabradors.com/free_rein_studio.html
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Enthusiast
Outside of Darwin Northern Territory

Hails from Australia

Thanks everyone,
I will try spraying with fixative and see how it goes, I haven't had any problem with the actual picture coming off just loose pastel falling onto the glass. Maybe I used to many layers because and it is just the top ones letting go. From what you have all said I am hopeful the fixative might help,
thanks again,
Deanna.

"You can own the Earth and still, all you own is earth untill, you can paint with all the colours of the wind." Disney's Pocohontas.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Enthusiast
British Columbia in the spectacular Okanagan Valley

Hails from Canada

I think Myungo is more of a student grade pastel so that may be your problem. Before giving up on the velour I suggest you use a better quality pastel next time and see if that helps. I would never recommend using a fixative...
Susan