WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Color Theory and Mixing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2007, 11:37 AM
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Hails from United States
Medium to make acrylic paint more opaque?

I am working with quinacridone red mixed with a small amount of cadmium orange.

Other than mixing in white, is there a medium I can add to this transparent mix that will make it more opaque without compromising the color?

Thank you in advance for any help.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2007, 02:52 PM

Re: Medium to make acrylic paint more opaque?

I am currently experimenting with the transparency to opaque charistics of acrylic paint. Utretch make a "Opaque Gel Medium". It does turn the paint slightly white. It can make a Phthalo Blue G/S into a opaque "Cerulean Blue Hue" and Make Ultramarine blue into a opaque "Cobalt Blue Hue." It can also bring a Hanza Yellow med to a somewhat opaque Hanza Yellow Light. However, it makes Q Crimson look like adding Titanium white.
You may also experiment with Liquitex Jaropaque Medium which is made to retain (not create) opacity when extending.
I have backup opaque colors to suppliment my S/T and T/P paints:
Azo Yellow Light/ Cad Yellow Light (professional grade)
Benz Orange/ Cad Orange
mix/ Cad Red Light
Q red/ Cad red Med
Q Crimson/ Liqutex Pyrrole Crimson
Ultramarine/ Cobalt blue
Phthalo blue G/S/ Cerulean
Phthalo Green B/S/ Cobalt Green
Phthalo Green Y/S/ Chromium Oxide Green
(Actually, I mix my greens using Cad Yelo Lite w/Phthalo Blue G/S)

Last edited by studemobile : 03-21-2007 at 03:04 PM.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2007, 02:57 PM
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Hails from United States
Re: Medium to make acrylic paint more opaque?

Thank you studemobile! I appreciate the help=)
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2007, 07:47 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristina9178
Other than mixing in white, is there a medium I can add to this transparent mix that will make it more opaque without compromising the color?
The "without compromising the color?" part is the main problem here Kristina. Basically the answer is no. studemobile has covered the medium types I was going to mention but fundamentally opacifiers will tend to alter colour slightly - acting like weak whites - and the more successful they are the more this will tend to happen. This kind of thing is worth trying but personally I think it's better to work around the problem as a rule.

In the absence of an additive the two solutions are to mix the colour differently (from pigments that are more opaque) and failing that change the way you're painting that area, so that opacity isn't as critical.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk