WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2007, 11:21 AM
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Hails from United States
Medium to make acrylic more opaque?

I am working with a quinacridone red mixed with a small amount of cadmium orange.

Besides adding white, is there a medium that can be used to make a transparent acrylic more opaque?

Thank you in advance for any help....
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Enthusiast
Western Pennsylvania

Hails from United States
Re: Medium to make acrylic more opaque?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristina9178
I am working with a quinacridone red mixed with a small amount of cadmium orange.

Besides adding white, is there a medium that can be used to make a transparent acrylic more opaque?

Thank you in advance for any help....

Yes, Liquitex makes a Matte Opaque Gel Extender Medium (also called Gelex). You can mix it with your acrylic paints to help make them more opaque without lightening them the way white paint will. I bought some in a local art store in a 237 mL jar. I don't know if it comes in other sizes.

I find this gel also gives me a bit more blending time and that's always a welcome surprise when working with acrylics. I use this gel with either tube colors or with Golden's Fluid Acrylics. I've been pretty happy with it.

You can also help make your more transparent acrylic colors seem like opaque colors by painting on a gray-toned ground (not too dark a gray, though). The mid-value gray ground helps the colors achieve apparent opacity much quicker in just one or two layers than they could over a white ground. Experiment on some scrap surfaces and you'll see what I mean. If you already have your painting started on a white surface, you can paint in just a small area of gray under the place where you want to paint your transparent colors. Let it dry, then go over it with your colors. I think you'll be surprised at the result.

Hope that helps.

Beverly

My website (undergoing reconstruction) http://spechtgallery.com
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2007, 12:42 PM
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Hails from United States

Thank you very much Beverly! That is just the info I needed. Much appreciated!
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2007, 01:27 PM
Veteran Member
Kent England (close to london!)

Hails from United Kingdom

i don`t know if you have any guesso ...i have not tried it myself.. but i read that it give`s flow like paints more body and does not affect the colour of your paints!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2007, 01:36 PM
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

Hails from United States

And thank you as well. I would've assumed that gesso would lighten the color. It's worth a try though=)
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2007, 03:22 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas

Hails from United States

Gesso will lighten the color, but will not change it. I makes it very opaque. I just mix my colors darker than I want them, then add some gesso. I use gesso all the time. Jan
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2007, 05:28 PM
Lord of the Arts
Kansas City

Hails from United States

And if you are wanting a very vibrandt Quinacridone color effect, you can use, instead of grays, which will lower the intensity of transparent colors laid in over the gray, use a Cad Red Medium or Deep underneath and then lay in your Quin. However it is usually an issue of making sure a color is a bit-to-a-lot lower in intensity than the tube color.

I've been relishing the new Old Holland New Masters acrylics just because they are so much more highly pigmented that so many of the other acrylics. The more transparent colors can still be used as gorgeous transparencies---but when painted on 'not thin' they can deliver a far richer, more solid body of color than the same transparent color in other brands. So---that is another option. And they stay open longer on their own because of the greater pigmentation. AND there is a marvelous EXtra Opaque Titanium White which I'm also loving!!!! Makes a wonderful difference. Plus 'regular' Titanium, Mixed White (Titanium and Zinc) as well as Zinc White. I have found this range of choices sooo useful with some of the paintings I've been doing lately. I often use this range of pigments in oil, particuarly for portraits, but had not come across it in acrylics before. REally nice to have the choices! Very best wishes! Donna ;-}

• Visit the Writings page for Studio Tips and other useful Information
I celebrate the beauty around us with Color and Light! Donna Aldridge
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2007, 08:26 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
See my response in your thread in Colour Theory & Mixing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristina9178
I would've assumed that gesso would lighten the color.
It will, significantly.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk