WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Student's Dorm
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2007, 11:14 PM

Major in Art Minor in some thing safe?

Heya folks. Like 90% of the world I'd like to major in an Art, preferably fine art or stuido art, heh even graphic design. But Im thinking about minoring in some thing I enjoy but is 'safe' such as IT or Marketing. You know to have some thing to fall back on or even to support the Art Career. Or should I think about switching to minor in art and major in some thing 'safe' which is some thing I'd rather not do.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2007, 01:41 AM
Enthusiast
Florida

Hails from United States
Re: Major in Art Minor in some thing safe?

I minored in communications...you need communication skills no matter the career.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2007, 07:32 PM
Enthusiast
North Carolina

Hails from United States

Here's something to consider: there are quite a few non-traditional (older than 25 when they start) students in my school's art department, and every one of them I've talked to said they wished they had done art to begin with, and that's why they're coming back later in life to get their art degrees.

I wouldn't major in something "safe" just because you're worried about not supporting your art career. After all, there are plenty of jobs out there that just require a college degree, with no specialization required in a particular major. They may not be the jobs you want, but they're safety options! If you major in chemistry and you hate chemistry, you'll be miserable, and is it worth it even if it's more "employable"?

If you have time for a minor, though, that will open up a lot of extra opportunities. I'm an art major/history minor and I got an internship for the summer creating a website with the state archives for use in the K-12 environment. Interactive design and history? Talk about perfect for me! If you look, there's plenty of areas where an art major and a minor in even a completely unrelated field can be useful. Communication is an obvious one, especially if you go with graphic design; I know people doing business minors as well.

Speaking of, there are "safe" art degrees, especially graphic design and interactive design (websites). If you can stand sitting at a computer all day, that may be the best compromise for you.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2007, 07:42 PM

It seems like there are plenty of things to fall back on inside the art world. Graphic designers are in such high demand now that people are hiring graphic designers who have no art training whatsoever.

I started typing this before the person about me posted. I don't like sounding repetitive.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2007, 10:02 PM
Illinois

Hails from United States

I agree with Talking banana as long as you have a degree in anything... you can always get a "safe job" somewhere. But if you want to major in fine art or studio art...DO IT!!! If you don't and you major in something safe...when you get older ...sooner or later you will wish you had done it. Life is too short! DO IT!!