WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2007, 01:22 AM
San Jose, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Classroom Thread - Symbols Practice

Duh, I forgot the image.
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2007, 04:46 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Auckland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Hiya Ann - this is a great idea - I've not really ever got my head around landscape 'language.' This is so informative - can definitely see Yarnell's influence on your trees and love the cloud advice - will be trying it out on a painting soon.
Polygon - OMG - you are so funny - completely relate to your determination to learn how to do it - keep it coming!!!!
Fisherman very nice scene - almost fantasy like. I really like the work on the hills - this is a popular style.
"One of life's most fulfilling moments occurs ... when the familiar is suddenly transformed into the dazzling aura of the profoundly new.... the only difference is our perspective, ... to see patterns where only shadows appeared a moment ago" Edward B. Lindaman
-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ruthmchristie/
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2007, 08:31 AM
A Local Legend
NE Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Polygon, I gessoed front and back a used 1/4 sheet of watercolor paper last night which should be dry by now. So I will get started this morning. Have you begun working from the photo you chose?

Fisherman, how cool, a soon be born son! I love the palette you used in your painting and the fresh look of the painting. Maybe you will share how you did your foliage trees?

Ruth, maybe you will join us as we are all trying to learn landscape symbols and the different ways of painting them.

The one person's work that has the most tremendous, atmospheric clouds is Arnold Lowery. Check out his threads here in the Acrylic Forum and in the Watercolor Forum. I will try to get some time to search the threads for some of his work and post some links.

One thing about it, our attempts at painting clouds may not always be what we want first time around but being acrylics we can go back and adjust. That is what I keep telling myself anyway as I learn to paint clouds and other symbols too.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2007, 10:50 AM
A Local Legend
NE Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Steps painted this morning, first five (5) posted as attachments
Attached Images

#35   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2007, 10:54 AM
A Local Legend
NE Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Next four (4) posted as attachments. These photos show the very first steps and I am not concerned about the paper wrinkling or curving. The paint must dry thoroughly before going to the next step. I usually use a hair dryer or go to a different painting while waiting for the paint to dry.

I didn't take a picture but I keep a fine mist sprayer handy to mist the paper or canvas. When the paint starts to first begin to drag, I mist. The goal is not to have brush marks showing in the sky, at least for this exercise.

One other thing, after painting in the sky with "X" strokes, blend very, very lightly, almost laying your hand on the side, with "X strokes. The goal is not to have streaks but a smooth blend. The brush is barely caressing the paper as it smooths out the paint.
Attached Images

Last edited by idcrisis55 : 03-14-2007 at 10:56 AM.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2007, 11:08 AM
Ottawa, Canada

Hails from Canada

Oooo, this is going to be so helpful! Should I do a drawing then at all? It's looking like no, that we're just diving right into paint.

What size should I use? I usually practice small (yesterday was 5X7), but I'm guessing I should go bigger- I have canvas boards 7X9, I have stretched canvas 8X10, and I have watercolour paper (you dont care if it wrinkles? HOW can you not care! ), even a watercolour block (for wrinkle-o-phobes like me, but I'm daring, I'll try anything!). I also have canvas paper but yesterday I decided I didn't like it, but I'm open to being persuaded.

I'll await your direction! Today I have to head off to work but I'll be diving right in tomorrow. Thanks for the photos you're posting so far... this is SO helpful!

Last edited by Polygon : 03-14-2007 at 11:11 AM.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2007, 11:10 AM
Ottawa, Canada

Hails from Canada

Ex Fisherman, just saw your attachment, your clouds are great!
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2007, 11:11 AM
Enthusiast
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

I want to dive in here. When I get five free minutes I think I will. I could use some practice on clouds.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2007, 11:21 AM
A Local Legend
NE Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Polygon, use the size you feel comfortable painting. These are exercises/studies so you can use panels, paper, stretched canvas or even unstretched canvas that has been gessoed. I often use the gessoed unstretched canvas because it makes for easier storage. Use the support you feel most comfortable using. I am using paper this time because I have lots of it with paintings that didn't work so can use it for practice pieces.

If you feel more comfortable sketching in the clouds then do that. I put a full covering of gesso on and while still wet paint in the sky color. Let that dry completely then sketch in your clouds if you wish.

Practice those "X" strokes. The goal is not to daub the brush on the paper but to glide it on even when doing the strokes. If you daub the brush you will get noticeable marks. I know from experience and I still get them and have to go back to blend them out lol.

For those of you that are bothered by wrinkles in watercolor paper, you can always stretch your paper first so it doesn't wrinkle or staple it down. Whatever you do to get a flat paper works.

Cool Debbie, that would be great to have you joining in. Remember though, I'm no expert and it is all trial and error, so we each can share what worked for us.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2007, 11:27 AM
San Jose, CA

Hails from United States

Thanks Ruth and Polygon. Painting from the head.

Ann, I'm also a big fan of Jerry Yarnell. I got all his books. The foliage is done with a sponge. I mix hooker's green with a bit of purple, and a bit of burnt umber. I Dab the mixture with a sponge. Once the dark background is done, I added various layers of lighter shades of green. Again dab with a sponge. Add tiny branches last.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Ottawa, Canada

Hails from Canada

I have a question already- the goal is to not have brushmarks showing, gotcha. The paint you're using is still quite thick though, right? It's the wet paper that's making it spread out?

I usually acheive the no-brushmarks by thinning the paint, is that OK? I'm using golden liquids (in case you're not familiar with that brand, they still have some texture to them if unthinnned)

Also, I don't have any large brushes (I'm new to acrylics and have been working small), my largest is 1 cm wide, so I guess I shoudn't work too large because of that? I could possibly get to the supply store tomorrow evening, but I'm keen to start painting before that if possible.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2007, 11:33 AM
Ottawa, Canada

Hails from Canada

Ah, we cross posted- OK, I'll stay fairly small for this one then.

My paper always wrinkles even with stretching! I use a lot of water I guess. It always flattens out again but in the meantime the moguls give trouble, esp. where the runoff forms lakes. I'll probably use a board for this one but I do want to master paper eventually.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2007, 12:38 PM
A Local Legend
NE Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Hi Polygon, you only want enough water to keep the paint moist, not dripping or runny. The paint should be creamy but rather thick so the Golden fluids should be just great. It is the dry brushing that makes it work which doesn't use water.

I'm getting ready to attach some more photos that hopefully will show what I mean.

I really appreciate your interest as I'm learning too.

Remember, there is more than one way to paint skies and clouds, this is only one of those ways!
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2007, 12:40 PM
A Local Legend
NE Oklahoma

Hails from United States

More Photos attached!
Attached Images

#45   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2007, 12:41 PM
A Local Legend
NE Oklahoma