WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-04-2007, 06:30 PM

How much to charge for PRIVATE art lessons?

I am in TX area.
I have been painting for many years and have a BFA degree.
What do you recommend charging for private lessons? I teach at a studio, where I have to provide supplies and pay 25% for studio usage.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2007, 01:03 PM
A Local Legend
South Africa

Hails from South Africa
Re: How much to charge for PRIVATE art lessons?

very difficult to say, work out your expenses, and ask around what is the general price in your area. charge more because you have a degree, and a lot to share.

Retha
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2007, 12:37 AM
Jacksonville, FL

Hails from United States

As a skilled Artisan, I recommend you adapt to merchantilism in the following manner:
1) Teach in groups of 4 or 6. Sure, sure, EVERY new student thinks they want to have "private" lessons and some of the very shy ones will for real. Otherwise, it's like the gym. If your students don't find someone to paint with, they will quit and you'll never have a stable base. That will force you to make survival price increases or decreases, either of which will drive you out of business. Encourage Buddy participation strongly. Offer discounts to groups and you'll still be making more dollars per hour. Paint a church, visit the church and offer the painting as a gift. People will naturally ask you about you, the painting and naturally their interests will return to themselves. You got them then. Win/Win
2) There is no Federal regulation stating that you can't charge as you feel like it. Use that fact. Charge little spoiled rich kids what the market will bare and make art available to under priviledged kids at a much lower rate. Because, Paris Hilton will not remember you whereas Julio Gonzalez from the Getto will never forget you... and he'll be the one to make it!
3) Find out what your competition charges and under cut as necessary. Your goal is to absorb their buisness and drive them out of business. Otherwise, they'll do you.
4) When I taught guitar and voice, I used these rules successfully. One thing you'll need to factor in CAREFULLY is how much into Art is the area you'll be teaching? This is so majorly important before you make the investment!! Example: I live in a city of 1 million people in the deep South, deeply red, industrial and military... out of 1,000,000 people... I can safely speculate less than 200 take Art lessons. I have become a free lance Angel trying to help my Art teacher survive! Literally! She can barely pay the mortgage and she teaches oil, acrylic, watercolor, pottery, ceramics, weaving AND piano, guitar and voice. Your area can kill you or make you more than your rates ever will.

Last edited by LordScorpius : 03-14-2007 at 12:39 AM.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2007, 04:51 PM
New Bern, North Carolina

Hails from United States

I prefer to teach one on one, two at a time is fine, but that is it! Have been in the art teaching profession 20 years, from classrooms of 10 to 20 students in Colorado, to classes of 6 to 10 at our local community college art department. Our town here in coastal North Carolina is a popular place for retirees from "up North", PLENTY of disposable income. The college pays me $12.00 an hour on contract with the State of North Carolina for its continuing education department. I am not a full time instructor. If I teach during a semester depends if there are enough students signed up and......if the course is not offered "Senior Exempt Tuition" and they may have to pay $35.00 to $50.00 for a 9 week, 3 hours per session course ---- they won't sign up!!!!! I teach my own "private classes" at the wonderful, locally owned art store here in town, classes are two hours for $20.00. We have at any given time 10 to 13 teachers teaching ages 8 yrs to 86! The times and days are flexible for both the students and the teachers.
When I first meet with a student I have them bring something they have done that they REALLY like and some thing they are having trouble with and we converse about what they like about the one and where they would like to see the other go! I feel I am more of a guide and a couch than a "preachy-teacher". I also produce my own artwork, which sells at a local gallery, I accept commissions and give myself plenty of lead time to get them done and so far no one has complained. As Scorpio seems to like "signs" I am a Taurus and a good artist, always getting better! Happy St. Patricks Day!
"...artists are people whose gift it is to take things called commonplace and "RE-present" them to the world in such ways that the world's self-imposed limitations are expanded." Gary Zukav - "The Danciing Wu Li Masters"
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2009, 06:15 PM

Question Re: How much to charge for PRIVATE art lessons?

I too would like to know. I have noted that no one is giving a $ amount, but rather, a lesson in charging. If I knew of someone in my area that was teaching I would not have needed to go on line? Please, assist me in my search! Please, come right out and say how much.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-14-2009, 11:54 AM
New Bern, North Carolina

Hails from United States

Well! I'll be brave and tell you that I charge $20.00 per hour lesson. This is for a private lesson one hour long. For approximately the first 15 minutes I give a critique of work they have done in the past week. (Each student takes one lesson per week). Then I demonstrate a new technique or demonstrate "taking what they are doing a bit farther". This can take about 20 minutes and then I have the student show me that they have at least picked up what I have shown them and this is what they will work on during the week until I see them again. Hope this helps you. If you teach at a community college or recreation center they will already have your per hour pay set. I just finished a six week one day a week 3 hour per session class for our community college continuing education department and they pay me $12.00 per hour and I average 10 to 12 students at a time. Good luck! This doesn't always pay the rent but the supplement to income is most helpful. I also do demonstrations at our local art store, however, I do not get paid for this, I do get a discount at the store because I am an instructor and I received orders for commissions for my artwork. The diversification of where the income comes from is most helpful and not putting all of one's eggs in one basket. Helen
"...artists are people whose gift it is to take things called commonplace and "RE-present" them to the world in such ways that the world's self-imposed limitations are expanded." Gary Zukav - "The Danciing Wu Li Masters"
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-20-2009, 02:35 AM
A Local Legend
South Africa

Hails from South Africa

Well if you want amounts I charge R100.00 for a private 2 hour lesson.
That is in South Africa.
I dont usually take more than 2 pupils or maybe 3at a time.

Retha
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-07-2009, 02:45 AM
A Local Legend
Washington

Hails from United States

For private lessons in my home $20 US/hour, minimum 1 1/2 hours. My first student usually stayed 3-4 hours and would buy upgraded supplies from me when he found out what he had bought at bargain prices were basically junk. (He's still with me and still replacing junk!)
***"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. And dance like no one is watching." – Anonymous!*** http://www.lauradicus.com
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2009, 11:49 AM
London, Ont

Hails from Canada

Why not forget teaching and get into apprenticing?

If you're a pro you can get some artists, share your studio, teach them as they go, engage them, and get them to not just pay you, but also do small jobs around the place that are cumbersome, such as cleaning.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2009, 05:28 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by perel
very difficult to say, work out your expenses, and ask around what is the general price in your area. charge more because you have a degree, and a lot to share.

Retha

I don't agree with charging more because of a degree, although it usual means that a person is more competent, that is not always true.
I would pay according to my financial possibilities (which could grant me or not access to the classes) and to what the instructor might teach me, not because he/she has a degree.

Kind regards,

José

Read about it on my Blog
Friendship Is Like Peeing In Your Pants…Everyone Can See It, But Only You Can Feel It.
I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2009, 05:33 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Leal
Why not forget teaching and get into apprenticing?

If you're a pro you can get some artists, share your studio, teach them as they go, engage them, and get them to not just pay you, but also do small jobs around the place that are cumbersome, such as cleaning.

I also like those art history periods

From what you said, the most positive result in my opinion can be the sense of artistic community.

Best regards,

José

Read about it on my Blog
Friendship Is Like Peeing In Your Pants…Everyone Can See It, But Only You Can Feel It.
I'm not lazy because I sleep until late. I just dream alot.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2009, 05:50 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Victoria BC

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringer
I don't agree with charging more because of a degree, although it usual means that a person is more competent, that is not always true.
I would pay according to my financial possibilities (which could grant me or not access to the classes) and to what the instructor might teach me, not because he/she has a degree.

Kind regards,

José

The value of a degree depends entirely on what degree it is. An arts degree means the aspiring instructor has been taught a lot about art history but there's no reason to assume they've been taught anything at all about teaching. Even being a capable artist doesn't qualify one to teach art. Many of the worst teachers I've ever encountered were exceptionally skilled at what they did - but sucked as teachers.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Enthusiast
Wyoming

Hails from Canada

I think you should ask what you are worth.

You need to look like it as you would any business.

What would you make per hour doing your art? Does your ability as as someone teaching art translate to that hourly rate. Is it worth someone to pay you $x.xx per hour? Do you provide that much value? Have you also taken in to account what it would cost you per hour to pay for supplies, location, utilities etc. Can you get what you think you are worth in the market place?

You need to make at a minimum what you would make doing your art or you are losing money.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Enthusiast

I base my price on what I want to earn per hour, keeping in mind that I pay both the employee's and employer's share of payroll taxes, pay to rent the room I teach in and do my own advertising. There is a start-up period where I will get less than my goal, but usually have 6 to 10 students in a class within a few months. Ten students is the maximum and I charge $35 for a three hour class.

Personally, I don't like the private lesson dynamic. I am either hanging over their shoulder waiting for the student to need my help or they become dependent on me for every stroke. Some sort of synergy begins to happen at around 5 students that adds to the class energy.

Mary
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-20-2009, 03:33 AM
Cambridge, MA

my art teacher 4 years ago charged $30 for 2 hours on weekends with 4 different time slots. It's normally with 2-4 other students, depending on the week and whether we have time/tests coming up. It's pretty casual. You pay when you go kind of thing. We'll all be doing different paintings/drawings and he'll walk around giving us pointers, explanations, and shows us how he draw/paints it.
This is more like a hobby for him though, because he likes to teach. He gets much more money from commissions.

he provides easels, a mixing palette for oil students , and also whatever we forget to bring that day or didn't get a chance to buy yet. I get everything else.

hope that helps.

Last edited by rainynightstarz : 06-20-2009 at 03:36 AM.