WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Clay
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-27-2007, 04:40 PM

Delicate ceramicists????

Hi all.

I have been doing some slip work - dipping bundles of paper into porcelain slip and then firing them. This has been leaving me with ultra delicate shards of porcelain that are a treat to look at.

What I wondered (and this is in conjunction with my paper based research) does anyone know of any other ceramicist who work with super delicate ceramics??

dan
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-28-2007, 12:14 AM
Enthusiast
Florida

Hails from United States
Re: Delicate ceramicists????

I don't remember her name(she might be dead now she was elderly when I heard of her) but there is a woman artist that dips lace to make gowned figurines. She gave workshops on how to make these figures perhaps you can find reference to her or someone working in a similar vain.

Also when I was in college there was a fellow student making thin walled 'dinosaur eggs' by dipping balloons in slip. They were very delicate.

Also sometime in the past I read some posts on the clayart listserve about some artists using slip dipped muslem and burlap to make sculpture. You can access the clayart archive at http://www.potters.org

Hope something in this mismash of half remember memories helps you.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2007, 12:20 AM
northern Colorado

Hails from United States
Re: Delicate ceramicists????

One way to make thin, slip-dipped shapes that are less fragile is to use fiberglass instead of paper or fabric. Probably should wear gloves to handle it, and not breathe the dust if there is any. The fiberglass fibers fuse with the clay in the firing and don't leave hollow spaces like the paper or fabric would.