WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pen and Ink > Calligraphy
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2009, 07:30 AM
north carolina

Calligraphy Project for week of March 9

This week I would like us to write some of our favorite quotes from favorite movies. Here's one from Fellowship of the Ring; my practice sheet and the quote inserted in a drawing. I did not sufficiently plan out the lettering and ran out of letters......There is Alot to this calligraphy, lettering gig

I also want to do a popular quote from a movie I have yet to see.......Gone With the Wind......(.I am planning to watch it this week) but if you are one of the first three who guess what this popular quote is I'll send you a little linoleum print. PM me your guess.

Hope this makes your week fun......
Attached Images

http://virtualparsnip.blogspot.com/
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2009, 09:23 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Murray, KY

Hails from United States
Re: Calligraphy Project for week of March 9

Movie quote...very cool. Now I will have to try and remember some quotes. Must go wrack my brain...

What a neat little fantasy pic. Love all the colors and how you did the writing up the stream.

"I do not want to go until I have faithfully made the most of my talent and cultivated the seed that was placed in me".. Kathe Kollwitz
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Murray, KY

Hails from United States

Got so carried away with the thread idea and your picture I forgot to tell you I love your lettering. Is that hobbit language...lol

"I do not want to go until I have faithfully made the most of my talent and cultivated the seed that was placed in me".. Kathe Kollwitz
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2009, 08:03 AM
Veteran Member
Chicagoland

Hails from United States

I am grinning my fool head off! This is delightful! I love Tolkien--my favorite childhood book and I have been fascinated with his letters since I first discovered them! I have lettered many, many quotes from Tolkien already, so I may pull out something from my file.

I have to ask; the scarecrow? Is he a nod to the Wizard of Oz? My own mind made that jump because of the quote. Dorothy had no idea what she would see when she opened the door of her Kansas farm house!

This will be a fun challenge. I am going to try to find more time to work on the challenge this week. Last week I got bogged down in trying to execute some Imperial Capitals (very hard to get right) and went through reams of paper practicing. Still have the math quote on my desk--unfinished.

I have something in mind, but for now, I'll just share some Tolkien with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azulparsnip
This week I would like us to write some of our favorite quotes from favorite movies. Here's one from Fellowship of the Ring; my practice sheet and the quote inserted in a drawing. I did not sufficiently plan out the lettering and ran out of letters......There is Alot to this calligraphy, lettering gig

I also want to do a popular quote from a movie I have yet to see.......Gone With the Wind......(.I am planning to watch it this week) but if you are one of the first three who guess what this popular quote is I'll send you a little linoleum print. PM me your guess.

Hope this makes your week fun......
Attached Images

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Murray, KY

Hails from United States

Very cool Kim. Like them both. I love the illuminated F with the leaf and your beautiful lettering.

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2009, 09:06 AM
north carolina

Yes, that is an elvish script I got off the internet.
http://www.fontriver.com/font/elvish_ring_nfi/

I've always wanted to do it. And as I did it it began to make sense....so I can read it a little now..........
Regarding the scare crow ..... when this quote if uttered in the movie (Fellowship of the Ring)....... Frodo and Sam are just heading off and Sam stops and says "This is it " Frodo asks what's the matter and Sam says that if he takes one more step it will be the farthest he's ever been from home and then Frodo quotes Bilbo........ and they are standing in a field with a scarecrow and hills in the background.

Kim - those are fun and lovely ........I've loved Tolkien from the start..... do you have any quotes in elvish script?
http://virtualparsnip.blogspot.com/
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2009, 09:24 AM
Murray, KY

Hails from United States

I remember Sam saying that. Funny but I never noticed the scarecrow though. Interesting. I thought of Wizard of Oz too when I saw it...LOL I love it when Liv Tyler speaks elvish. It just sounds so beautiful and lyrical.

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Veteran Member
Chicagoland

Hails from United States

Thanks! THis is one I'd like to re-visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsangel
Very cool Kim. Like them both. I love the illuminated F with the leaf and your beautiful lettering.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2009, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Chicagoland

Hails from United States

Of course! You were doing movie; I was thinking book. It's funny; I love the movies and enjoy them very much, but I still retain my own images from reading the books as a child and then all the way through my life from that point on. These books are very much a part of me--far more so than the movies. What I retain vividly from the movies is the music. That music! It's perfect.

Yes, I do have some around here somewhere. I've done some for my sister, but I don't think I've ever scanned them. I may have some working copies in a file, but the originals were gifts and long gone. In lieu of that, here's a bookmark I did for Children of Hurin. It isn't in a Tolkien script (it's a Gothic script) but I like it.

The font at the link is based on Tolkien's tengwar letters, but those aren't really the same thing as an alphabet in Tolkien's world. They represent phonetic sounds and depending upon the proximity to other sounds, different symbols can be used in different situations for the same sound. Really tough to sort out. With the font, someone assigned letter values to the tengwar forms; fun, but would be gobbledy-gook in Middle Earth.

Tolkien does have another, more alphabetic, set of letters--the Angerthas--that are easier to translate. I've played around with forming the tengwar letters but I've never really tried to write meaningful words with them. I have with the Angerthas. I'll see if I can put my hands on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azulparsnip
Yes, that is an elvish script I got off the internet.
http://www.fontriver.com/font/elvish_ring_nfi/

I've always wanted to do it. And as I did it it began to make sense....so I can read it a little now..........
Regarding the scare crow ..... when this quote if uttered in the movie (Fellowship of the Ring)....... Frodo and Sam are just heading off and Sam stops and says "This is it " Frodo asks what's the matter and Sam says that if he takes one more step it will be the farthest he's ever been from home and then Frodo quotes Bilbo........ and they are standing in a field with a scarecrow and hills in the background.

Kim - those are fun and lovely ........I've loved Tolkien from the start..... do you have any quotes in elvish script?
Attached Images

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2009, 07:37 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Australia

Ah! So that's where I've seen that font before! - I mean the Bilbo one. It's very pretty.

Kim, I like the colours you've used for your tolkien quotes, and the use of the leaf in your illuminated F. The little leaf at the end of the quote is a perfect touch.

I love the Lord of the Rings movies, for the scenery as much as for the story. My husband and I watched the Rivendel scenes frame by frame to enjoy the carvings and buildings. It was a bit annoying when the actors kept getting in the way of the background, though.

Here's quicke:

I've always loved that song and those lines about the staircases.

I tried to copy a font that I found on line that is supposed to look like Hebrew or Yiddish - i'm not too successful, though.

I might get something better done later this week - my head is making ideas - but I've got other stuff I need to work on so may not. For now I wanted to do one I could actually finish in one sitting.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Australia

Oh - you've prabably guessed but I forgot to say it's from "Fiddler on the Roof" - the song, "If I Were a Rich Man."
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2009, 11:32 PM
Murray, KY

Hails from United States

Really nice bookmark Kim. I think I saw that one on your web site.

elsie. Love your quote on the staircase. That took some neat imagination.

#13   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2009, 03:12 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Australia

lol. thanks, Sharon. I keep looking at it and thinking what a mess it is. It's not pretty - just gets the idea on to paper and that's about it.

Azul gets the credit for inspiring the imagination, though, with her words in the river.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2009, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member
Chicagoland

Hails from United States

Elsie, that is wonderfully creative. Fiddler on the Roof is a fabulous movie and it's cool that you represented the movie and the music in one piece. (And the font DOES look Yiddish!)

Thank you for the kind words about my Frodo piece.

Sharon, you're right. That is a bookmark I made to mark the release of Children of Hurin. (oh, and I wrongly identified the hand as Gothic. It is a Celtic hand, duh!)

I'm not going to the archives today, I'm going to the drawing board. I tried yesterday and I.could.not.letter.to.save.my.life. Some days are like that. Hopefully, today will be better.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2009, 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Chicagoland

Hails from United States

I did say I wouldn't resort to the archives yesterday (and I didn't!) so maybe you can forgive me for doing so today. I have been very busy at my drawing board but I don't have anythhing new finished yet.

Here's a bookmark quote I did from the movie Outlaw Josie Wales.
Attached Images