WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Studio Tips and Framing
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2002, 10:51 AM
Enthusiast
COLORADO

Hails from United States
Question watercolor comparison chart?

hi!

do any of you know where can get an acurate color comparison chart for watercolors - the kind that lines up the different brands i.e., because the names are pretty much all different from manufacturer to manufacturer.

thanks!

conni in colorado
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2002, 11:02 AM
A Local Legend
Darien, GA

Hails from United States
I don't know of a chart that does this....and charts aren't accurate either.

But, a good book on watercolor paints which is all about the color and different manufacturers...is The Wilcox Guide to the Best Watercolor Paints. I use it all the time to compare colors and qualities of the paints.
c
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2002, 11:19 AM
Shreveport,LA USA

Hails from United States
Lightbulb

stephen Quiller's colorwheel does that. It shows different colors of different brands of paint. Dick Blick has the colorwheel,you can also find it in a book(I forgot the name) and there's a website that talks about colors in different color wheels and they show a sample of Stephen Quiller's color wheel.

Debbie

BTW,I also have msn messenger.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2002, 02:08 PM
Enthusiast
COLORADO

Hails from United States
thanks for the tips!!
i just bought the quiller palette last week, and am still trying to figure out which of my colors goes where -i use a different brand, than what he suggests, so all the names and colors are quite different
off to a "hunting" expedition i go....

conni in colorado
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-18-2002, 03:51 PM
Enthusiast
COLORADO

Hails from United States
...just found this website that has every information on the topic there could be...it's quite a lot of reading, but it explains practically everything that has to do with colors and colorwheels...
http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL

thanks again for the suggestions!

conni in colorado
www.charisma-art.com
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2002, 10:12 AM
Shreveport,LA USA

Hails from United States
Smile

I thought about telling you about that site,but I couldn't remember what the url or the site was.

Debbie

BTW,I also have msn messenger.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-24-2002, 11:18 AM
Enthusiast
COLORADO

Hails from United States

i went ahead and painted a swatch of each and every color i had - compared them and just arranged them by "gut feel". so far it looks pretty good on the palette - except for the yellows: i seem to have put lemon yellow as primary yellow and it doesn't quite work the way it should.
i also had to "rearrange" some of the others on the quiller wheel palette, but now i'm pretty much set up.
now for some extra time to paint...

thanks for all the tips!

conni
www.charisma-art.com
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2009, 01:10 AM
Prairie City, Oregon.

Hails from United States
Re: watercolor comparison chart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorith
hi!

do any of you know where can get an acurate color comparison chart for watercolors - the kind that lines up the different brands i.e., because the names are pretty much all different from manufacturer to manufacturer.

thanks!

conni in colorado

I use this web site for color information as well as pamplets for all the brands. http://personales.upv.es/gbenet/teor...r/waterfs.html

It is good to learn the Pigment codes that are given right on the tube. That gives you a better clue about what is inside the tube than the name.
I learned allot obout pigments and brand differences from the book "Incredible Light and Texure in Watercolor" by Jame Toogood. The information he gives on watercolor pigments and the brands are valuable.
Also, The Winser & Newton web site will send you a free color comparison chart of their own watercolor paint on real watercolor paper if you email them and ask. They did for me. The 1st real sample sheet I've ever found!
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2009, 02:58 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Uh, the post you're responding to is from 2002!

Also, if you check the bottom of the pages on the site you link to you'll see it's many years out of date. So you might want to go to the original (Handprint), the URL of which was posted in post #5

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-27-2009, 10:09 AM

Re: watercolor comparison chart?

I received very nice color charts from Windsor Newton paints. The swatches were painted rather than printed so they are accurate. Write to the company. They sent me an oil chart and a watercolor chart.