WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Colored Pencil > Colored Pencil Library
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2007, 03:07 PM
Enthusiast
São Paulo Brazil

Hails from Brazil
Colorfastness - Test with Prismacolors, Polychromos & Pablos

Hello!
Robin started a thread more than one year ago about the colorfastness of the colored pencils . http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=307884
Since most of the works made by the artists here are framed and exposed to light under not exactly a standard museum light condition ,the concern is justified.
I work mainly with Pablo from Caran D´ache and Polychromos, so I asked people here for samples of the Prismacolors to put them side by side in a small test.
I used two color charts with exactly the same colors and the most approximate range possible between those 3 different brands .
I put one of them in a drawer inside a black envelope, the other I attached to a window and it was exposed to intense day light (not direct sun light but tropical sun light, remember I am living in Brazil ) for one year from January of 2006 to January of 2007.
I Am planning to make another test with more colors but that have to wait unless some companies give me the needed samples .
These are the results.
Attached Images

"I dream, therefore I exist."
August Strindberg
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2007, 03:24 PM
Michigan

Hails from United States
Re: Colorfastness

Thank you for your efforts. I can attest to the importance of the
lightfastness of colors.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2007, 07:33 PM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

Neat test! I am surprised by the Prisma blue slate, I expected the reds to fade more quickly. I see the faded pink one is a deco series, which I understood to fade quickly.

I have reframed old pieces and not been able to discern any fading from hanging for years, although not in direct sunlight OR in fluorescent light. I am transitioning to the lightfast ones, though, to be totally cautious.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2007, 08:18 PM
Enthusiast
Australia

Hails from Australia

Thank you for the work you put in. Interesting results. I recently gave one of mine to a friend & suggested that she keep it away from sunlight. Glad I did now. I did not realize that fluorescent light could be a problem as well. Thanks Robin.

If I don't see you no more in this world, I'll meet you in the next one.....Don't be Late. Hendrix
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Immortalized
Toronto

Hails from Canada

What a great job Lucio! Thanks for sharing the results...

I didn't know fluorescent light can have a discolouring effect!

It is not the gales, but the set of the sails that determines the way you go - Charles Bell, 1927 - 1974.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2007, 09:14 PM
Enthusiast
São Paulo Brazil

Hails from Brazil

Thank you folks.
I am planning to make a huge test as soon as I win the local lottery
120 Prismas X 120 Polychromos X 120 Pablos , can´t wait ...
Acker did you have a bad experience with lightfastness?
Robin, I agree entirely, caution is never enough with our work, we put a lot of love on them. I Don´t have much problems with colorfastness because I am a illustrator and my works are scanned and later they rest in a dark place
But if I have to work on something to expose ,I will be very concerned with the resistance of the colors . I can Imagine a Baby portrait made with a lot of that pink ( PC 1030 ).
Graham, I am glad your work is safe
Raquel I could not made this test without your help .
Lucio

August Strindberg
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Immortalized
Middle of Nowhere, Virginia

Hails from United States

Wow, Lucio. This is sort of a horrible graphic represntation of our pencil mortality, isn't it?

And to me, Robin, I should think we should all be intensely concerned with the lightfastness under all conditions, if any of us have any sort of delusions of grandeur at all. Myself, I'd love to think that 60 or 70 years down the road some of my pieces could be in museums. If they fade in 40, I doubt it!
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2007, 09:47 PM
Veteran Member
Northeast, USA

Hails from United States

How great of you to do this, and to share the results, Lucio!! I'm guessing that I'm not the only one so caught up in the moment, that we don't think of what will happen to our art years from now.

While I'm only anticipating viewing your artwork in museums, Maggie; no delusions of sharing wallspace, I would like to think that the humble pieces I do of my kids (and force upon them), will live on to plague their children, and their children, and their children, ad nauseum.

Thanks, Lucio!! Can we contribute some Lotto tickets for you?

Holly
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2007, 10:06 PM
Enthusiast
São Paulo Brazil

Hails from Brazil

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper2
This is sort of a horrible graphic representation of our pencil mortality, isn't it?

And to me, Robin, I should think we should all be intensely concerned with the lightfastness under all conditions, if any of us have any sort of delusions of grandeur at all. Myself, I'd love to think that 60 or 70 years down the road some of my pieces could be in museums. If they fade in 40, I doubt it!

Meg ,sorry for the horrible graphic representation of our pencil mortality.
I hope I can see some of your pieces in museums in 60 or 70 years, I will be
100 or 110 years old but as I am also concerned about my own lightfastness .
No kidding now, this is the right way to think ,there is a lot of works I have seen here that deserve to be in a museum
Holly, I am glad you will be more concerned about the durability of your art work.
And yes you can send as much lotto tickets as possible , I will even share some millions with certain people here in the Wetcanvas
Lucio

August Strindberg
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2007, 06:48 AM
A Local Legend
Southern Illinois

Hails from United States

Thank you for your work on this, Lucio!

So before I looked at the color swatches, I was just *cringing*, thinking all of the prisma boxes are going to be empty or ghostly traces... looks like they did better than I thought they would!

Lucio, overall, what's your impression? Looking at the swatches it looks like the polychromos did better than the others?

Tess

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2007, 06:59 AM
Immortalized
Melbourne

Hails from Australia

Lucio, you are a real wonder for doing this! thankyou so much. The word of the pencil manufacturers doesn't really convince you but this sort of graphic evidence does. It sure makes me pleased I use Polychromos too! Even so it's a bit of a worry to see things fading at all in a year. Sure puts a good case for UV resistant glass and or uv resistant fixative or varnish.

Really thankyou so much for doing this. I'm rating this thread for sure.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2007, 07:18 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Scotland

Hails from Canada

Thank you so much for doing this! It comes in handy when trying to decide what colours to use in a piece.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2007, 08:47 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinZ
I have reframed old pieces and not been able to discern any fading from hanging for years, although not in direct sunlight OR in fluorescent light. I am transitioning to the lightfast ones, though, to be totally cautious.

Reframed how? With UV Glass?

For reason to tolerate those who refuse to play by the rules of reason is nothing else but the suicide of reason. ~ Lee Harris
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2007, 08:49 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

I use UV glass on all of my pieces. Anyone know how that extends the lightfastness?

btw cool test Lucio!

For reason to tolerate those who refuse to play by the rules of reason is nothing else but the suicide of reason. ~ Lee Harris
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2007, 10:33 AM
Immortalized
Middle of Nowhere, Virginia

Hails from United States

I wonder how the test would work with fixative over the top?