WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2007, 11:35 AM
Enthusiast
São Paulo, Brazil

Hails from Brazil
How to make your own Maroger

Im really interested on the procedures on how the art supply industry makes the maroger.

I was wondering why artists do not make their own Maroger today, since the old masters did it. It cant be that difficult. Anybody have ever tryed buy the lead, oil and get that boiled to get black oil?

Where can i buy the lead? It´s just common white pigment, or is it a chemical component? Should i buy that from chemical industries or can i find in Natural Pigments like for instance?

I did found an excellent tutorial here, from Robert (thanks!), about making your own Damar Varnish. I imagine we can do the same with the Mastic tears.

Well, if anyone has been trough this, i really would appreciate any reply.

Thanks again!
Alex
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2007, 11:44 AM

Hails from United States
Re: How to make your own Maroger

it's just too much of a dangerous hassle to make it,when you can just buy it.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2007, 12:21 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Palm Springs, CA

Hi Alex:

There is no proof that 'old masters' used maroger. The discussion has occupied both proponents and opponents for quite a long time now. At one point, I was pro-maroger. However, there is quite a lot of conservator information, and I no longer use it, and no longer advocate using it.

See this thread: Maroger Medium. Read all 11 pages, paying special attention to the posts of Virgil Elliott.

If you still want to try maroger, get it from someone like Studio Products or Old Masters Maroger.

Making the stuff yourself is somewhat complicated. First, you have to make a double-mastic varnish, a dangerous process of dissolving mastic tears in heated turpentine. Then, you must make black oil by combining a drying oil with litharge or lead carbonate, or a combination, and heating it. The oil must rest for at least 3 months so that the lead solids can settle. THEN you combine equal parts of mastic varnish and black oil to make the maroger.

I hope this helps.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2007, 12:42 PM
Enthusiast
São Paulo, Brazil

Hails from Brazil

Thanks a lot Robert, again. I will read carefully the whole thread you suggested me.

But i still find absolutly fascinating the subject... not sure if im gonna try it, but i just wanted to know if somebody already tryed that.

If wouldnt be dangerous, i really would like to try it.

Thanks again!
Alex
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Northern California

Exclamation Re: How to make your own Maroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Sunder
Where can i buy the lead? It´s just common white pigment, or is it a chemical component? Should i buy that from chemical industries or can i find in Natural Pigments like for instance?
You can find white lead, litharge, varnish oil and mastic tears at Natural Pigments. However, I do not recommend making your own Maroger medium, at least the drying oil portion of the formula, because this is a smelly and potentially hazardous task.
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2007, 02:02 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Elk River, Mn

Hails from United States

I know the article that robert is refering to. In my view it raises enough issues relative to Maroger that I could find little (if any) reason to use it. I know that Leffel and other estimable artists use Maroger but the fact that they like and use it does not mean it is good.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." --Will Rogers
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-05-2007, 02:17 PM
Enthusiast
São Paulo, Brazil

Hails from Brazil

Thank you all for the nice replies!