WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Learning Center
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2007, 09:04 PM
Lord of the Arts
Iowa

Hails from United States
Winter Snow Demo - FINISHED!

Hello- I have decided to attempt a demo on painting a winter snow scene. If it works out, I may work it into an article... so here goes.

photo1- To Begin, I have masked out a surface of gator board 24x30 iches. I have added a touch of rose acrylic paint to the pastel ground mixture. (1/2 part gesso to 1/2 water and three tps of fine pumice) The reference photos (color and b&w) are placed next to the painting.

Photo 2.- Next I sketch out the basic design very loose and free using a nu pastel brown. I am trying to make sure all the elements are in good balence and relate well.

Photo-3-Here I am locating the values adding blue to the distant tree line. I am also identifying the shadows in the snow at this time.

photo 4-Now I will turn the pastel into a wet medium --By dipping an artist brush into water I go over the entire suface wetting the pastel and using a wet tissue to create light values.

In this photo I have dried the wet pastel with a hair dryer and have started to apply the snow color- The color for the snow is the lightest green I had.. looks alomost white but not quite, I will save the purest white pastel for the last step in the process.

I am continueing with the snow application using the underpainted shadows to dictate the variation in the river bank

In the last two photos I am concentrating on making sure the values are correct and the shadows for the snow are believable.
I will complete the painting tomorrow--I have been painting about 3.5 hours thus far..c/c are welcome thanks Tom

"Working on mysteries without any clues"...Bob Seger
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2007, 09:54 PM
A WC! Legend
Raleigh, NC

Hails from United States
Re: Winter Snow Demo

Yoohoo! Thanks for doing this - makes me want to paint snow -

I hope you can turn this into an Article - keep in mind you might want to take shots of the color sticks you are using in the demo. You can lay them out by value or color family.

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2007, 10:05 PM
Plymouth, MN

Hails from United States

Great Demo Tom. Looking forward to seeing the finished product tomorrow.

Andy
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2007, 10:24 PM
A WC! Legend
New York

Hails from United States

Thanks Tom, this looks really good so far.

Donna T
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2007, 10:44 PM
Enthusiast
Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Tom, this is a real treat! I've been wishing you would do a demo so I could figure out how you get your great paintings. I will be watching tomorrow. I hope you do as kat suggested and show us the pastels you are using for each phase. Jeepers, this is exciting

Till tomorrow, Nana
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2007, 10:58 PM
A WC! Legend
Living in Amherst, NY, but from Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Wonderful, Tom! Do make it into an article--it's not that hard to do. I'd like to see your references up closer, if possible in the article.

I have questions...I guess it's a habit dervied from years of interviewing artists (and one of these days I hope I get to write a feature article on your work! I won't be at all surprised.)

You wrote:
Quote:
(1/2 part gesso to 1/2 water and three tps of fine pumice)
Is the measurement for the pumice in teaspoons (tsp.) or tablespoons (Tbs.)?
Have you given us your recipe for making boards like this elsewhere? If so, could I have the link? (And if not, can you give us a bit more on that, too?)

What made you decide on the rose color?

What's the use of the color wheel taped to your board?

Is that duct tape you're using to tape the board in place? Why? does it work particularly well for your techniques?

Do you paint more from the color photo or do you refer to the grayscale one more frequently? The grayscale one looks like a close-up--is it?

Just curious. Thanks in advance!

Deborah
Landscape Painting in Pastels (free online book)
Gouache
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2007, 11:07 PM
Enthusiast
Maryland, USA

Hails from India

Wow, this is great Tom. Thank you so much for sharing your techniques with us. I was very interested to read about how you wet the painting. I'd love to read your answers to Deborahs questions, I was wondering about the color wheel too. Your painting looks great so far.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2007, 12:19 AM
Lord of the Arts
Old Forge, New York

Hails from United States

Great demo Tom - thank you!

David

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2007, 03:26 AM
Enthusiast
Grenaa

Hails from Denmark

Yeah, very nice demo! I'll have to try out landskabe drawing someday. Just haven't the guts to try it yet!! ^^
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2007, 03:33 AM
A Local Legend
Monroe GA

Hails from United States

Tom this is stunning so far. Thank you so much for creating this demo for us all. I happen to love demos and wips so much. I am speechless for the second time tonight. This is awesome! I was unaware one could wet down pastels either. Thank you Thank you Thank you!
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2007, 12:06 PM
Lord of the Arts
Iowa

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah Secor
Wonderful, Tom! Do make it into an article--it's not that hard to do. I'd like to see your references up closer, if possible in the article.

I have questions...I guess it's a habit dervied from years of interviewing artists (and one of these days I hope I get to write a feature article on your work! I won't be at all surprised.)

You wrote:

Is the measurement for the pumice in teaspoons (tsp.) or tablespoons (Tbs.)?
Have you given us your recipe for making boards like this elsewhere? If so, could I have the link? (And if not, can you give us a bit more on that, too?)

Is that duct tape you're using to tape the board in place? Why? does it work particularly well for your techniques?

Do you paint more from the color photo or do you refer to the grayscale one more frequently? The grayscale one looks like a close-up--is it?

Just curious. Thanks in advance!

Deborah

Hi Deborah--I will answer your questions

the board is called gator board--it is a fiber composite I purchase from a plastic distributor . I buy it in 3/16"-4'x8' sheets and cut to size -about $40 a sheet.
the mixture of gesso and water is 1/2 part water to 1/2 part gesso . i then add 2 to 3 teespoons of fine pumice and enough acrylic paint to give color.

I have been using the rose color for quite a while --I am drawn toi the warm colors and often let the rose color show thru especially in the distance trees..I like the reddish tone against the snow and dark shadow areas.

I keep the color wheel close -as i refer to it when I am struggling to find a color that will relate--complimentary colors always work

Duct tape works especially well as it does not fall apart when I add water to the pastel .It comes off easy leaving a nice clean edge for the framer to hold to with out getting his fingers in the pastel

I use the grey scale early inthe painting to locate the values .It is a close up Iwanted to see how close thevalues are inthe distance trees. Thecolor photo is helpful to determine the temperature of the light.. I have found it helps to enhance the photo using a computer program
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2007, 12:22 PM
Lord of the Arts
Iowa

Hails from United States

Hello -I thought I would go ahead a post the finished version of the demo. Plese offer any questions as it will help me to be more descriptive.. thank you Tom

Here is the finished painting- I have added a distant hill ( not in the reference) and sharpened some of the sunlight areas. I also softened some of the distant edges.

following are colose-ups and a photo of the materials I use. Notice how the wet pastel technique gives a painterly effect to the trees and underbrush

Last edited by Tom Christopher : 01-21-2007 at 12:25 PM.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2007, 12:44 PM
Rockford, IL

Hails from United States

Woo Hoo!!! I am lovin' this, Tom! Great demo and great questions Deborah! A few I had myself. Can't wait to see the rest and hear the answers.

Thanks so much!
Marcia

Oops! They they are!

Last edited by Sunflwr1 : 01-21-2007 at 12:47 PM.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2007, 01:35 PM
Texas

Hails from United States

Beautifully done! Thanks so much for the demo!

Debbie
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2007, 01:59 PM
Rockford, IL

Hails from United States

Hi Tom,

Being very new to pastels I find this demo fascinating! Love the addition of the snow hill in the background... perfect touch IMO. I have a few questions...

Did you just use the one color (lightest green) for the snow (other than the shadows and rose underpainting coming through)?

What brands of pastels are you using? Are the small sticks hard pastels?

Do you prefer to make your own surfaces? Where might one find gator board. Lowes, Home Depot? I'm not familiar with any plastics distributors

Sorry for all the questions... and thanks again for this demo! I really appreciate it!

Marcia