WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > Acrylics - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Ontario

Hails from Canada
A gorgeous blonde! WIP

Haven't posted anything in ages, so I thought I'd make my first painting of 2007 a WIP. This is my friend's golden puppy (not the kinda blonde you were expecting, huh?). She was holding onto him (just barely) near a big bright window for this photo.

I started the background with a graded colour of dark blue in the upper right corner, fading to a light blue in the lower corner. I did this with a firm sponge roller so the paint could go on wet-on-wet to get a smooth even blend. The mdf (medium density fibre) surface is quite smooth, but needs a light sanding after the first coat of paint (which lifts the fibres slightly). This is my preferred method - to start with a smooth surface and paint thin, with little or no build up of paint as I work. OK, so now I'm ready to add the line drawing and start painting, starting with white highlights on the left. For some reason the background looks grey in these early stages. It's actually a fairly bright blue as you will see at the end. 10" x 10"

I'm using a short-haired brush and thinned paint to start. My plan is to lay out the painting lightly and then build up the layers.

I'm beginning to move onto more golden colours now.

Can't wait any longer. Gotta get those eyes and nose in there!

Now he's starting to shape up and come to life.

Nose Details.

And the eyes. I used soft edges on the pupils to get that 'dewy' look in his eyes.

The finale. This photo was taken after the varnish was applied. I think it really makes the colours much more vivid.

Shelley

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 09:02 AM
WC! Guide
the state of confusion, Florida...

Hails from United States
Re: A gorgeous blonde! WIP

This is incredible. Very nicely done and a WIP as well.

Bravo!
"The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 09:57 AM
At home

Hails from United States

Spot on, absolutely gorgeous. I love the progression and I don't know if it was the way you took the picture or if that was some super varnish, but the colours really livened up afterwards. He's such an adorable little thing, you captured him beautifully.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 10:16 AM
A Local Legend
Florida

Hails from United States

What a great WIP and the finish is super!

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 11:35 AM
Lord of the Arts
basel switzerland

Hails from Canada

WOW..GREAT wip and fantastic painting result. Really loved how you worked. the first stages almost looked like an xray! Thanks so much for sharing. That is one beautiful puppy and painting

FaceBookPage
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 11:46 AM
Coeur D Alene, Idaho

Hails from United States

Shelly,

What an adorable puppy! Awe... Shelly your work is exceptional!

The more I learn, the more I realize I don't Know, and the more I realize I may never know. But the one thing I do know is I am addicted to creating art.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member
Ontario

Hails from Canada

Thanks so much and I'm glad you like the WIP. He is a beautiful dog and his name is Shane. I just sent the owner the image too (she didn't know I was painting him). Here's what she just wrote back about him ...

"It is too bad Shane can't appreciate the painting! I think I can see a hint of mischief in that smile of his and true to form he put that into practice two days before Christmas. Decided that a glove would make a tasty snack and when it didn't appear at either end then surgery had to be peformed. Sounded like it was pretty routine for the vet as pets consume all kinds of goodies! However, he made great progress and we were all able to enjoy our Christmas."

Poor little guy (actually he's big now). Glad he's on the mend.

Shelley

#8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Enthusiast
Houston, TX USA

Hails from United States

Shelley, That is AMAZING!!!!! Now you are what I call an ARTIST.. Gigi
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Ontario

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoebox
Spot on, absolutely gorgeous. I love the progression and I don't know if it was the way you took the picture or if that was some super varnish, but the colours really livened up afterwards. He's such an adorable little thing, you captured him beautifully.

Thanks very much!

Cameras are wonderful tools, but they do have limitations. They like to average things out and find a balance. Dark and light, warm and cool and so on. When you take a picture which doesn't have both warm and cool (as in the first images) it doesn't quite know what to do, so it goes kinda grey. Once you introduce warm colours (as in the final images)... ah, now it has a reference for creating the cool tones and the colours are more true.

So here's a tip for photographing your work - if you have a predominently blue image, set it against something warm (red, orange, gold) and your colours will be better! Same goes for the reverse - set a warm painting against a cool backdrop to get the colours more accurate. I wish I'd remembered this, when I was taking the step-by-step images. Sorry. I guess I was too wrapped up in the painting!

As I mentioned before, the varnish really helps too. Because I work so thin, the paint is somewhat chalky looking until the varnish goes on. Then it really comes alive, especially the black. Only trouble is that it gets trickly to photograph then, because it is a bit shiny so you have to watch out for glare.

Shelley

#10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 12:37 PM
San Jose, CA

Hails from United States

This is so amazing. Very nice work on the fur.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 02:02 PM
A Local Legend
I currently live in Jacksonville Florida

Hails from United States

absolutely stunning!.
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 02:11 PM
A Local Legend
NE Oklahoma

Hails from United States

Beautiful, beautiful WIP and finish! Thanks too for the tip on photographing, that was a real bonus. Hope you post lots more WIP's and paintings
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Germany

Hails from Germany

I am totally besotted with this little creature. A wonderful painting that has touched my heart. Specially like the way you have painted the eye and the fur. Wonderful. CHAMMI

My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Los Angeles, CA

Hails from United States

WOW! Excellent work. I am in awe that this is acrylic. Your friend must be so happy.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-06-2007, 06:54 PM
Veteran Member
of the Wet Canvas Auxiliary Guard

Hails from United States

Wonderful. Really beautiful work and perfect technique. He looks all soft and cuddly.

I have a technical question about your post. I count something like 14 photos in your post but I was under the impression that we can only post, like, 5 at a time or something. Also, your photos seem much larger than anything I've been able to post in the past. What's your secret?

Roger