WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Digital Art
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2007, 08:44 PM

Question Adobe Illustrator: how to trim intersecting lines?

Hello all! I am a newbie to Illustrator and am trying to figure out how to trim straight lines based on their intersection of other lines so that two crossing lines can become a v-shaped path (and can I join open paths that intersect into a closed-path object?). These tasks are very easy to accomplish in CAD programs and I know Illustrator can detect the intersections because of how the LivePaint feature works and it can delete parts of shapes based on their intersections. I just can't figure out how to do it.

Another question that would help my productivity is the possibilty of specifying lengths and angles with each segment of the pen tool, which closes multi-segment paths for you. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions since my approach to design is very geometrically oriented and having to zoom in to 800% and erase parts to get it to look as if there is one corner is both time-consuming and theoretically unsatisfying to me. Thanks so much!
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2007, 12:35 AM
A Local Legend
Florida

Hails from Puerto Rico
Re: Adobe Illustrator: how to trim intersecting lines?

I don't know which version you have but Illustrator CS2 has an option under Oject/Path-Divide Ojects Below that you can try. Also once you creat a path, you can make it of an exact size by changing its dimensions from the Path toolbar that turns on when you click on a path. I know that in AutoCad you get to specify the exact length of a line before executing the command, but I don't think Illustrator is able to do that. You can always turn on your ruler and Smart Guides to help you with meassurements.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2007, 04:28 PM

Re: Adobe Illustrator: how to trim intersecting lines?

Thanks! It turns out that I can accomplish what I need with the Smart Guides. Not as efficient as drafting-oriented programs, but I'll take it!