WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Mixed Media, Alternative Materials, and Other Media
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2007, 06:02 PM

Hails from United States
Using House paint on canvas??? Help

Hi Everyone,
Thank you for reading this! I was experimenting one day and was using semi flat water based house paint on canvas. I then went over it in areas with my oil paints. I know Pollock used (and others) latex paint with success but it was oil based. Has anyone tried the water based acrylic household paint on canvas? If so, any drawbacks?

I loved what I did and would like to continue experimenting in this technique. Any feedback or help would be greatly appreciated.

Take care, tj
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2007, 06:22 PM
A WC! Legend
Central Mexico

Hails from Mexico
Re: Using House paint on canvas??? Help

Hi tj, welcome to the forum. Yes I have used matte water based hosue paint an underpainting over canvas and I have paintings that are at least 8 years old with that paint and are in good condition. I have always finished off either with oil and some textures so I don't have any that are just the house paint.

Hope you will post some of your work for us.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2007, 06:57 PM
WC! Guide
the state of confusion, Florida...

Hails from United States

Yes, you are right Pollack did use house paints, and cigarettes, and broken glass and heaven knows what else. And now the museums are using funds that would be earmarked for purchases to try and save these modern day "masterworks".

I know I am hard nosed about it but, house paints look great on houses.

Obviously you do what you feel is necessary but remember the work reflects not only on you but every other aritst trying to make an honest living.

As I stated elsewhere.....would you brush your teeth with a brass bristle brush instead of a toothbrush.......after all they are both brushes.

Just my humble and not always well received opinon.
"The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2007, 12:44 PM

Hails from United States

Thank you Mary for your response. In the painting I experimented with I liked the contrast of the flatness and milkyness (sp?) of the house paint in comparison to the richness of the oils. I was worried about cracking since I had used flat house paint. In college back in '77 we had a project where we painted canvas board with a layer of umber in acrylic and then painted over it in oil. I still have that painting and have noticed some cracklique. And since house paint and acrylic fine art paint is similar, I was concerned. I have tried using just oils to get the same effect but have failed.

I can take a pic of the painting if you like. Maybe someone here can tell me what happened in the process??? I'd appreciate it.

Howard I looked at your painting online. It looked like a mixed media 'Meditation 7" Was it painted in acrylic?

You wrote:
Obviously you do what you feel is necessary but remember the work reflects not only on you but every other aritst trying to make an honest living.

Please explain the comment? Just curious:-)
tj
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2007, 01:55 PM

Hails from United States

(I noticed it didn't upload - by the way I love this painting and I looked at Mary's site also. You both do fabulous work1)
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2007, 05:36 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

Unfortunately artists are like any other group. Generalizations run amuck. When an artist is sensationalized we all seem to get sensationalized and put under the microsocpe. When an artist does something that appears to be reckless we all get painted with that same brush.

I do think that house paint has its place, ideally on houses, but if you are doing murals and such it may be fine. If you want to be shown in serious galleries and fine arts venues then house paint may not be such a good choice. That's all. Most of the galleries I show in are quite particular about using materials that are non archival. My multi media works are all considered very carefully and to the best of my ability are done in a way that is considered technologically sound and as archival as I am aware of being able to create. If it weren't, I would have a hard time with it as a product to be sold in the general marketplace. Does it make it right, maybe, maybe not.

No one said artwork was an inexpensive proposition and I feel obligated to create not only well designed work (at least I hope it is) but work that is technically sound as well. That's it in a nutshell.

but what the heck do I know about anything at all.
"The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn

Last edited by idylbrush : 01-03-2007 at 05:39 PM.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2007, 06:31 PM
Greensboro

Hails from United States

You don't want to prime canvas with oil based paint.

I have used KILZ for a while as a primer.

From the KILZ website:

"KILZ® Premium

KILZ Premium is the superior versatile, water-base stainblocking primer designed for both interior and exterior surfaces. This premium quality, acrylic primer is great for general surface preparation, yet can also seal and block most stains, including rust, tannin, ink, pencil, felt marker and smoke.

KILZ Premium primer/sealer provides a mildew-resistant coating, making it ideal for use in moisture-prone areas like kitchens, bathrooms and basements. It adheres to glossy surfaces and blocks tannin stains on redwood and cedar.

KILZ Premium Features:

Superior stainblocking power
Great hide and durability
Excellent enamel undercoater
Great for kitchens and baths
Blocks solvent-sensitive stains like asphalt"

When it comes to housepaint, as long as it is water-based and acrylic, I don't think there will be a problem.

Nobody knows how well their painting will hold up in the future. Famous paintings from all periods of art have had been restored for some reason.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2007, 07:10 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

There have already been problems with mid century artists who used house paints and the paintings are falling apart and costing the museums large amounts of money that are intended for purchases to be instead used for restoration work.

While the emotion of the art is certainly an important part what emotion is left when the work is destroyed.

DaVincis last supper is all but destroyed due to an experimental technique that proved to be inferior and is creating the loss of a major artwork.

There can be a balance of being quality work and quality materials. IMHO.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2007, 12:04 PM

Hails from United States

Thank you Osidianrose for the info. I had heard someplace that you could use primer instead of gesso. I never tried it. Gesso is expensive but that's never been a concern to me. If I had a choice between eating for the week or buying some good gesso - I'd buy the gesso! Actually I've used Kilz on walls before painting a room and wasn't that impressed with the product. I did find one that's good if you need to just paint a room and want a good primer that's cheaper. Love your avatar by the way. It's a work of art in itself:-) It would make a great painting!

Howard this is why I've been doing the research and asking questions. I have heard there have been problems with techniques from some mid century artists, but when I ask all anyone tells me is there are problems. Do you have any links or know of someone I can call?

I'd really appreciate it. I'm like you. I've always prided myself in doing quality work. I've worked hard at it. And I'm researching right now. Just like you did before you started doing collages. That's where I'm at. If it is possible, then I want to do it the right way.

So if you have any links or places I can go from here, I would be so grateful. Seriously, I've found really nothing.

Thank you for your time. Greatly appreciated. tj
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Bethel, CT

Hails from United States

Personally I would prefer a few more crumbling Pollak's and DaVinci's in the world and a few less perfectly preserved Kinkade's or yet another southwest painting of a wolf surrounded by Hopi clay pots--but that's just me. I think the remains, or even the rumor of a great work of art is better than a mediocre one that hangs around for centuries.

Screw the materialistic collectors. Experiment! There has never ben a better time! Take some digital photos of your masterpiece made from tissue paper and wet noodles and you can not only enjoy the process of creating your art, you can have a record of the image that can potentially last forever (since digital files can be copied infinitely with no degradation in quality!)
http://TomNackidArt.com
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2007, 01:59 PM

Hails from United States

I totally agree with you on the Pollock and DaVinci's. Twenty years ago I quit painting because I wasn't doing anything different than most artists out there. I have great skills and good hand eye coordination. People would always gasp "oh it looks just like a photo" meaning for it to be a compliment. I was like, then I should have just taken a photo and saved my paint!

So I stopped painting until I discovered something different and unique I could explore. The technique using house paint is just the execution but not the theory of what I discovered. I'm very excited about it. I actually retired early just to explore it.

I would like to find out if it would hold up. After my last post I sent emails out to art restorers. So far I got one email back and she didn't know if it would be a problem down the road.

Thanks for the incouragement. Take care, tj
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2007, 07:23 AM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

If economy is your concern then you may want to consider/look at the Matisse line of acrylics. They are an artist quality paint at a price I find reasonable. Take a look at them some time.
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2007, 08:37 AM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

Never underestimate the power of a good sale either. Blick, Smith and many other house brands are excellent and on sale now and again at reasonable prices.

Don't know what you would be doing with gesso that you would go through gallons of it. I have a quart I have been using for over a year and it is still going strong. I do thin with about 10 to 20 percent water for a better consistency. I coat almost every canvas I paint on with at least one coat of gesso and I work in the range of 5 feet plus several times a year.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2007, 03:29 PM

Hails from United States

Howard I Don't know where you got that I was going through 'gallons of gesso'??? I think you miss read? I wrote 'a good gesso'! It was in reply to the previous post regarding Kilz as gesso. I know some artists try to save money by using household primer. Actually I started making my own now but do occasionally buy it. But not gallons - just good:-)

Anyway I tried traditional acrylic paint and it wasn't what I was looking for. The house paint has a quality that the acrylic paint you work with does not have. But I am still researching it!

If you do find any info on artist's works deteriorating due to using house paint, I'd really appreciate the info. Thanks for you concern.
Sincerely,
tj
My new website
http://www.freewebs.com/thebohemian1358/index.htm
(a site dedicated to artists who refuse to take medication)

Last edited by tj1358 : 01-05-2007 at 03:36 PM.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2007, 08:38 PM
WC! Guide

Hails from United States

I suggest you google or dog pile your request.