WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Classical Art > Classical Forum - Hall of Fame
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2006, 12:59 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
North Carolina

Hails from Poland
Copy of Leonardo da Vinci sketch

I found this beautiful sketch of drapery done by Leonardo. He did it with charcoal and blue and brown washes. Since I don't do washes yet I decided to try and see if I can get similar effect drawing with today's dry medium. I started by tinting the paper with 3 colors in pastels. I intentionally made it warmer. Then worked witch charcoal pencil and carbon pencil and pastel blender. It took a lot of blending and reaplying darks, but I think I got as close as I could. This is the kind of drawing when you can go on and on forever. I was getting lost in all those folds, so this is not exact copy.
Tell me what you think.
The first is Leonardo's drawing, the second is my poor copy
Jolanta
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2006, 04:53 PM
Resting in Peace
Murfreesboro, TN

Re: Copy of Leonardo da Vinci sketch

Nothing poor about it. It is maddening trying to copy someone elses drapery. For me, certainly. No easier when the drapery is draped before me. Less is more, seems to be the final rescue.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Central Oregon

Hails from United States

That is a great Job Jolanta,
I to have been studying Da Vinci and have been working on the last supper for a gift to my mom for christmas {well it's going to be late} lots of cloth to paint on this one and I need to do studies as you have done.
thanks for sharing
Rodney
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2006, 02:26 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
North Carolina

Hails from Poland

Thank you!
Luke - doing drapery can be quite tricky, but I am always drawn to hard stuff I challenge myself with things I don't believe I can do and most of the time I surprise myself. It is a good feeling to be able to do it.
Rodney - thanks. Take your time. Last supper is very complex and a lot to learn from. Your mom will be thrilled with it! Do your best and give it to her when you are happy with your creation, not any sooner than this. I have to tell you all those deadlines are killing a lot of good art. She can wait and enjoy it for the rest of her life. Please show us how it is coming.......
Jolanta
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-25-2006, 09:10 PM
A Local Legend
Charleston, West Virginia

Hails from United States