WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2002, 04:54 AM
Veteran Member
Salt Lake City, Utah

Hails from United States
1st Acrylic Painting, Iris

I have been thinking of trying acrylics for a while, and so this morning I read all the helpful discussions on what brands, palette, and brushes to buy. Then I went to the Utrecht store this afternoon and loaded up. Tonight I painted my first acrylic painting on stretched canvas 14X11.

I am a watercolor artist so I used a lot of water, and did a bunch of glazing. I didn't use any mediums. The image may be a little dark because it's after midnight and I only had indoor lighting and a flash, I couldnt find the sun to shoot a nice picture outside! So here it is.....

Comments, criticism, and smiley faces welcome!
Cathy
Attached Images

#2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2002, 05:13 AM
Enthusiast
Yatton, North Somerset England

Hails from England
Cathy, very nice job, your watercolour training came through. What a fabulous picture for a first acrylic - Mike
(=','=)
(") (")

Click here to see Wetcanvas Artists Ebay Group auctions

My ebay homepage
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2002, 05:28 AM
A Local Legend
New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand
Cathy this is LUUUUUVLY
Here's the smiley's
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2002, 05:39 AM
Veteran Member
Salt Lake City, Utah

Hails from United States
Thanks Mike and Gnu!

back at you!
Cathy
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2002, 02:52 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Hails from Canada
Wow...your first try at acrylics? Excellent Cathy! Love the irises!
How did you find the glazing on stretched canvas? Did you have any beading ?
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2002, 03:09 PM
A Local Legend
Indian Land , SC. Suburb of Charlotte,NC

Hails from United States
Thumbs up

Oh, here goes my favorite flower!
Very, very nice!

Julia
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2002, 03:57 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
This is very impressive for a first acrylic, congrats! How did you find them to use compared to watercolours? What did you think of the Utrecht paint (handling, pigment load etc.)?

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2002, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member
Salt Lake City, Utah

Hails from United States
Thank you all for your kind comments! Paintergirl, I had no trouble with beading at all. The glazing was cool! With watercolor, you can spoil a painting if you don't glaze with the right color or get too much water etc.
Einion, you asked how does it compare to watercolor? Well there is a whole lot more control about what happens on the canvas. At first I thought I wasn't sure I liked it because it is very different, but as I progressed and found that if something wasn't to my liking I could just adjust it with white and paint over it. That was good.
I have gotten to where I could manipulate watercolor to acheive what I want, but it can take one misjudgement, one unthinking stroke and you can mess up a whole painting.
So I am finding the acrylic very user friendly! The reason I chose to pursue acrylics is because I sell my art on ebay, and thought that maybe I might fetch higher prices with acrylic on canvas. In art galleries they (oil and acrylic) seem to be preferred and more higher priced. Correct me if I'm wrong! I am open to any input on understanding the art buyer. So I wanted to have a wider variety of art to appeal to more people. What I mean by that is some people don't buy watercolor at all and I want to widen my market.

Of course I have nothing to compare the utrecht acrylics to, but I found it not too stiff, some colors were more translucent than others but that didn't bother me considering my background. I tried to get a palette that was similiar to my watercolor palette, and found that mixing colors were a bit more muddier than I can acheive with my watercolors. I will just have to experiment there. I may have to try some other colors to find what fits me best.
I chose utrecht because there was quite a few favorable comments about it, the prices were good especially since I had to start from scratch and the Utrecht store is just 15 blocks from my house!

I am anxious to try a painting with a person in it, so I think that 's what I will do today.

Thank you all for your warm support!
Cathy
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2002, 04:54 AM
Veteran Member
Amsterdam

Hails from United Nations
Cathy

great to see how you fared with the acrylics. and like I predicted in the TAW section at the time it did turn out quite easy, right?
Keep going, curious to see what happens next.

Interestingly Turner was watercolourist before he went to oils, but kept quite a lot of the techniques of his watercolouring days when doing oils. In some instances he even managed to put watercolours in over the oils. Researchers are still figuring out on how he did that.

Ron van den B.
Pinterest
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2002, 07:38 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Greenland
Cathy, You have done a lovely job on this! I love these iris's, you have really captured the delicacy of the petals
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-09-2002, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Salt Lake City, Utah

Hails from United States
Hi Ron, yes you were right about acrylics. I think I am really going to enjoy them. I am going to paint tonight, I hope!
Thanks Kokopelli!
Cathy
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2002, 11:40 AM
Michigan

Hails from United States
BEAUTIFUL!! I too am a watercolorist and have been thinking about acrylics - YOU HAVE INSPIRED ME!! Looking forward to seeing more!
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-11-2002, 06:02 PM
Thomaston, Georgia

Hails from United States
Great work!!
Give it time you will love what you can do with acrylics....
Danny
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-13-2002, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Salt Lake City, Utah

Hails from United States
Deebee, go for it! I am really loving this. I just completed my third painting on Thursday (I bought my paints last saturday)and am well into my forth. A word about palettes, I would highly recommend the stay wet palette. While I kept the sponge damp I didn't have a single problem with paint drying before I used it up. Then by my third painting, about 5 days later, I hadn't rewet it and the paint was drying and boy it really made a difference in convenience of using the paint.

IRDOC, I am really looking forward to seeing what will evolve. I plan to keep up with my watercolors too, and it will be interesting to see if the difference of my techinique in acrylics will have any effect on my wc and vice versa.

Thanks,
Cathy
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-21-2002, 02:29 AM
Veteran Member
Salt Lake City, Utah

Hails from United States
I decided this painting needed a fix. The large white iris against a light background wasn't a good move, so I darkened it. Do you think it helped?
Cathy
Attached Images