WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Art Business Center > General Art Business > Legal Corner
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2006, 11:08 PM
West Auckland, New Zealand

What are the Advantages of Copyright?

Hi All!!!!! Please excuse my ignorance. I am a baby artist- painted all my life, but only started selling this year, and thus I have found extremely sucessful.
I'm based in New Zealand, so I dont know how the laws differ country to country But I don't have much clue at all about copyright. I feel it is what I need to do, but what are the advantages of copyright apart from someone copying your work (and if they did, how would you really know?)

I'm not expecting everyone to explain to me but I am having trouble finding much about it in forums, and am only new to the site. If someone could guide me, It would be much appreciated.

GREAT SITE GUYS!!!!!

Ulalei........
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2006, 12:31 AM
A Local Legend
Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: What are the Advantages of Copyright?

i'd be interested to learn what other artists have done about copyrighting their works too .

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2006, 04:18 AM
WC! Guide
Westbroek, The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Here in The Netherlands you automatically have copyright on your own paintings. You don't have to do anything about it.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2006, 05:10 AM
A WC! Legend
Aotearoa

Hails from New Zealand

I have a NZ art magazine with copyright information in it, but I can't find it!
But it's the same in NZ Connie, copyright is automatic on original work.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2006, 05:20 AM
West Auckland, New Zealand

okay, so i can just put after the title of my painting "copyright"? I've noticed some very similar works out - I mean hey, I'm not the only person who paints Auckland City with Rangitoto Island behind it, but when its in the same colour and the moon is in the same spot as mine and the buildings have striking resemblence to the angle mine are from, and their user name is watching my work from trademe (a nz auction site) = what can ya do? I don't know if I want to do anything.... well not at this point, but maybe the word copyright on my page might scare them off?
WOW, so you don't have to do anything..... I thought I would atleast have to call my lawyer and sign legal documents and clauses of some sort haha.
GREAT, keep me informed as to where I can get some more info.....

Many thanks
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2006, 05:29 AM
A WC! Legend
Aotearoa

Hails from New Zealand

Ulalei, your work is lovely! please post it here and welcome to WetCanvas!

If you look at any of my auction pages you will see that I say that I will take legal action if anyone copies my work without written permission. I have had to send a legal letter to one person who copied one of my works exactly - and offered it for sale on the same auction site!! Now how dumb is that lol
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2006, 05:54 AM
A WC! Legend
She who rambles

Hails from United Kingdom

There's a legal forum here - a subforum of General Business. There are a couple very good Sticky threads at the top with information.

Tina.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2006, 07:53 AM
A WC! Legend
Tampa, Florida

Hails from United States

All I've done is put - ©2006 - and my monogram sig next to it, and all is good.. if work is shown sans sig et al, then is considered 'in public domain'....
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-14-2006, 08:06 AM
WC! Guide
the state of confusion, Florida...

Hails from United States

I believe, at least in the states, the creation of work by an artist is copyrighted without question. There is a formal application that really does help the artist should litigation ever be required. It makes the judicial process easier and tends to favor the artist in many ways. In the states you pay a fee and can register a block of works for a single fee. I do about 60 images at a time for a $30.00 fee. In my humble opinion it is good insurance to do these things. At a cost of little money you can save big bucks when you run into an issue of copyright infringements. I believe with the new copyright laws that the signature is sufficient (at least in the states). Of course the laws are not always geared to protect the maker of a work. The latest law change has made an allowment to the effect that if you make an "effort" to contact the artist and can't you may have the right to go ahead and use the work without infringing on the artists rights. So, it gets complicated and other countries have vastly different rules. You should be able to get information from your governments web site on their particular variations on copyright law.

Even with copyright you are not fully protected. There are some countries that refuse to recognize the artist at all and consider the work public domain by the fact of its existence.

So, it seems to me that you may want to do a bit of research in your country to find out what your rights are and if you need to register to be protected.
"The thing about art is that life is in no danger of being meaningless," Robert Genn