WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2002, 12:19 AM
Enthusiast
Savannah, GA, S.C.A.D. (Savannah College of Art and Design)

Hails from United States
Treasure of Sanibel

Well all, this is a piece that took "Honorable Mention" in a recent student arts show here in Lake Wales, Fl. It's mainly acrylics (which is why Im posting it here) but also some watercolors, with a main paper of scratchboard; to understand this piece you need to hear a bit about it.
I took a picture of the shell, shown in the detail photo below, and doctored it up in photoshop; I then photocopied that and laid it over a scratchboard, transfering that sketch to it and scratching it out.. I watercoloerd that sketch, tinting it with sepia... then painted over it with transparent, glossy acrylics, to produce the effect of the seashell (which was obtained from my hometown, Sanibel Island, FL)... then I went over the external parts with more sepia watercolor, matte-finished thos parts, burned the edges, and glued the shell to the paper. Sound complicated? this is where it gets interesting.
I took a piece of foam core and ran sand paper across it to produce a very rough looking backgroiund on which to "float" the scratchboard; then I went over that, too, with sepia. I then Used golden's "Garnet Gel" to create the look of a sandy beach, glossing the bottom portion with liquitex Glossy glaze/varnish; I also mixed some Prussian blue watercolors in that at points, to sort of tint it and make it look more like "water"; then I cut out one more piece of foam core, glued it in the center, and floated the original piece. I know the acrylics forum isn't for mixed media per say, but hey; it's mainly acrylic, so I figure you guys will let me get away with it? Well, Comments and critiques not only welcome, but requested! please tell me your thoughts, I've started a series of these (already had some mediocre offers on this one!) and am looking to improve. Let me know.
Attached Images

"I paint because I know that I am going to die."
-C. k. Agathocleous
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2002, 12:20 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
Detail Shot: Lower Left

This is the Shell that I used as a subject matter:
Attached Images

-C. k. Agathocleous
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-06-2002, 12:23 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from United States
Detail Shot 2:

This is the upper right of the shell, showing the scratchboard pattern underneath the transparent acrylics... Enjoy, and remember to comment.
Attached Images

-C. k. Agathocleous
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2002, 05:16 AM
Veteran Member
Salt Lake City, Utah

Hails from United States
This is really awesome!!! I love it, and your explanation was wonderful. I am so glad you told us what you have done here, it was really interesting.

It looks like a shell. What a great job!
Cathy
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-10-2002, 02:43 PM
Lord of the Arts
Indiana

Hails from United States
Nice work. Like how you explaned how you doneit.

Keep up the good work.